• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shying away from private messaging...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
If someone PM's me then I'll respond, but generally it's not my preference to communicate that way. I'd rather "speak" in a public forum rather than in PM. I guess I'm not actively looking to make lifelong friends. I'm just looking for a good discussion. If someone prefers to PM me though I'll oblige as much as I can.

Also I don't know if this is related, but I don't really like to talk on the phone either. Generally I try to keep phone conversations as brief and to the point as possible, because I prefer face to face interaction.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
If the PM is about clarifying a point, then I'd rather do it on the main forum. But if it's something personal, then I prefer to respond via PM. I don't shy away from it because I actually think that I'm probably more personable that way.

It's as if posting portrays your outer demeanor at a large party, and a PM is the equivalent of sitting down and having a one-on-one conversation at the party.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Very interesting topic and discussion.

After reading a few of the responses here, I understand why I haven't gotten responses to some of my PMs. I usually don't respond to short rep messages, but I always respond to PMs. I initiate them fairly often, too.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I PMed all the girls on INTPc within about 2 weeks of joining. I got responses from one or two and felt awkward around the others for a while. It went away pretty quick and I laid the groundwork for friendship later on, after they got to know me a little (circa 2000 posts and a year later).

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I too am skittish when it comes to sending or receiving PMs. For some reason I always get the feeling as if there is some ill intention behind the PM. Nevertheless I always respond to PMs out of courtesy for the sender. Although I definitely understand why some of you wouldn't respond.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm afraid of directly messaging people in most places.
I get very anxious under scrutiny, and am honestly pretty insecure. I'm afraid of being judged, I'm afraid of bothering people, and I'm afraid of looking stupid.

Now, if I say something publicly, and with a general reference instead of a specific target, there's a much greater sense of anonymity and vagueness, and it makes me feel more secure. Directly telling somebody something gives you no wiggle room.

For example, telling somebody that I like them is murder on me. Once you do that, there's no back-tracking, muddling, burrying, contextualizing, or redirecting that can save you. You commit to it, and await your fate. It's frightening.

I've never told anyone that I've been attracted to them, or infatuated wth them, or loved them. I fear rejection, the feeling of vulnerability, and the potentiol consequences of letting my feelings be known (for instance, I wouldn't want to ruin a prefectly good friendship by trying to turn it into a romance).

Now, these feelings affect me on very petty levels, even to the point that just directly messaging someone one a forum can make me uncomfortable.
Don't want them to think I'm too interested.

So, that's a pretty lengthy and deep seconding of your original post, Uber.
I have problems with it, too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're allowed to publicize private conversations from other forums???

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
You shouldn't ever publicise anything private.. IM.. email.. PM..

alicia91

I feel the same way as the OP. I will always respond to PMs but I very, very rarely send a PM (don't think I ever have on this board). I guess I never get to know people well enough to need it or I figure I can just say what I need to in a post.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I receive an unsolicited PM, and I'm likely to return it. I'm reluctant to send one myself, though. The exception is usually when I want to respond to a rep comment without the confusion of repping a post unrelated to the topic.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Oh man from the look of most of your responses I must be some kind of freak or something. lol. I initiate pms all the time...not business pms either.

Be proud. Many have said they enjoy receiving them.

Plus it may promote it.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are rep comments??

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram