• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Depressions

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I wanted to ask how people here who suffer(ed) from depressions actually feel with it in their daily life.

I read lately about people who suffer from depression. A family member also lately started to take medicaments against depressions. I am not really sure how you are supposed to feel when you suffer from depression, because everyone seems to describe it differently, and sometimes it sounds very abstract.

Now my curiousity stems partly from the fact that I am considering that I myself might suffer from depression. This is not really a new theme for me, I consider this every now and then since many years and some people around me have apparently considered this for me as well. I never really thought very long about this question though. From what I know, I most of the time just believed that is simply how I am.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is as large and varied as many other spectrum's. It can be periodical, seasonal, once in a lifetime, the majority of your life. You can have triggers or be prone to specific times of day. Usually people 'in' depressive states are worse in the mornings, upon waking is often the most difficult time esp for people suffering with major depression.

The best thing imho, and research does show some info to back it is to have a routine, something to get up for...strive for...a goal or two...however small can be a good thing.

I'll stop there as I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here and it is a vast landscape to traverse.

Mole

Permabanned
I wanted to ask how people here who suffer(ed) from depressions actually feel with it in their daily life.

I read lately about people who suffer from depression. A family member also lately started to take medicaments against depressions. I am not really sure how you are supposed to feel when you suffer from depression, because everyone seems to describe it differently, and sometimes it sounds very abstract.

Now my curiousity stems partly from the fact that I am considering that I myself might suffer from depression. This is not really a new theme for me, I consider this every now and then since many years and some people around me have apparently considered this for me as well. I never really thought very long about this question though. From what I know, I most of the time just believed that is simply how I am.

We can't give medical advice here, so if you are worried about your mental health, why not talk with a good psychotherapist and ask their advice.

We have a social group for those suffering from Depression. It is called, "Beyond Blue". You might be able to find it on Google, or there might be a similar social group in your country.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Well, I didn't expect professional medical advice in a forum obviously, I know you are no psychotherapists.

I just wanted to have an impression of what I have to expect when I hear about depression. More and more people seem to have it and I can witness in my own surroundings that more and more people take medicaments against it. Everyone has heard about it, yet most people including me don't really know what exactly people who suffer from depression are actually experiencing in their daily life.

I could also tell you how I personally feel that I sometimes suspect I might suffer from depression as well, but I guess for a diagnosis I would have to go to a professional then anyway.

Thanks for the replies though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ive battled depression most of my life and I need meds to function also getting out helps.but if I didnt take meds I can guarantee you id be suicidal even going out

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I experienced a lack of motivation, which is very uncharacteristic. There were certain things that I found enjoyable in the past that were no longer enjoyable. That was also unusual. My mind was circulating round and round and I was not much interested in practical/normal things that were going on around me. It was like Alice in Wonderland falling into a rabbit hole and not being able to get out.

Mole

Permabanned
Well, I didn't expect professional medical advice in a forum obviously, I know you are no psychotherapists.

I just wanted to have an impression of what I have to expect when I hear about depression. More and more people seem to have it and I can witness in my own surroundings that more and more people take medicaments against it. Everyone has heard about it, yet most people including me don't really know what exactly people who suffer from depression are actually experiencing in their daily life.

I could also tell you how I personally feel that I sometimes suspect I might suffer from depression as well, but I guess for a diagnosis I would have to go to a professional then anyway.

Thanks for the replies though.

There is feeling low and there is Clinical Depression.

Feeling low is linked to events and passes, while Clinical Depression is emotionally painful and lethal.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7

I know when I feel depressed I'm more:

-Irritable
-Have thoughts of death, dying
-Feel extremely fatigued
-Pessimistic
-Feel very bleak, a never ending sadness that resounds inside

When I'm depressed I'm too physically depressed to even be aware I am sad or feeling depressed. It's like I'm in this zone where I can't snap out of it and is something very hard to fight every day.

BUT- Good news is, if you can simply recognize when your body+mind bogs down, simple thing to do-
1.) Get off your butt and exercise
2.) Nourish your body with plentiful, natural, whole foods
3.) Really make an effort to take care of yourself

Last but not least, show gratitude or at least feel thankful inside. Life's a one-time deal in this moment, to breath, to experience, to love, to fear, to taste, to... just be.. is something that exists in this momentary bliss.. just that moment. Learn to savor the moment and really be.. in the moment (hard for some to do).

Correct your posture too, that helps. Imagine your shoulder blades touching itself.

Sometimes the act of physically showing that you are feeling okay makes you feel okay, on top of a good hair day!;):D

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Typically: Irritability, Lost of Interest, Low-Mood, Low Self-Esteem, Frequently Tired, and Thoughts of Death/Suicide (this one is the most serious. If you know of anyone that have these thoughts, take care...)

Speaking of landscapes might make it easier...? One person suffering from depression might call it a barren wasteland. Another would call it a dark tunnel that never ends. A thirds would call it sinking deeper into the deep depths of the ocean with no way of getting back up. In all of these scenarios, life just seems bleak (or bleaker)...dark.

There are two forms of clinical depression that I can think of (there are other ones I don't know of.)

The first is commonly known as dysthymia. Generalizing it, it is that person who seems to have lost interest in life, or maybe that person seems to be slightly grumpy and irritable on most days. This type seems to be in this sort of low-grade, low-mood most days for months or even years on end before seeking help. This type is harder to detect because the mood doesn't seem to change too drastically. It starts becoming that "normal" mood after a long while. Sometimes, this one can lead to the second form.

The second form is more severe. It can get as bad as not wanting to get up. Some people with it know that the moment he or she wakes up, things go completely downhill. Or like prpl, I've known a person online that just don't want to sleep because he knew he would be in an extremely foul mood the moment he woke back up.