• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dreams and MBTI

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd like to ask you if you think there is a correlation between type of dream and cognitive functions.

I'm asking this because most of my dreams revolve around adventures, where I am the hero and I have to save myself and other people. I was thinking just now that this may be connected to Ne. So I was wondering if an Ni-dom, Fe-dom, etc would have different kinds of dreams. It would be cool if more people could share their dream types so we can understand if there is a correlation with cognitive functions or not (and if the correlation is only with the dominant function or also the auxiliary - for instance, maybe adventure dreams are Ne-Fi, I don't know)

The plots in my dreams are normally very elaborate and sometimes I swear they are so intricate that I feel I could write a movie. They are normally full of action and the enemy is often unclear or the motive for the attack is unclear. It's always my responsibility to save everyone because it appears that I'm always the calmest person, who can still reason and come up with ideas. However, I usually fall back on someone else for emotional support or emotional meaning. I also know that it always works out for me, I always escape from the bad guys or save everyone, but before this happens a lot of different scenarios and situations will still have to happen. Often I can also fly, or I have scenes in the air, like using parachutes, and my dreams are also very vivid in color. Lastly, several times it has happened that I use information in my dreams that I didn't know (I knew) about or that I wake up knowing something new.

For instance, I posted this once here:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My dreams are generally a process where I think theories through and refine them. I then wake up with a better understanding.

It's strange though, because my dreams teach me things, but they don't stay with me as memories. They're more like concepts I integrate into my overall mental structure.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My dreams are generally a process where I think theories through and refine them. I then wake up with a better understanding.

It's strange though, because my dreams teach me things, but they don't stay with me as memories. They're more like concepts I integrate into my overall mental structure.

ok but....what is your type?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

My dreams are profoundly vivid. I remember like 5 per night. They're normally very intricate.

I have been lucid dreaming all my life, and I am prone to really bad nightmares.. Like, I basically lose my mind and bad trip in my dreams. I'm blessed and cursed..

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok but....what is your type?

Does it matter what type I believe myself to be? You can dream up whatever type you want for me. I can do the same as well.

That's another thing about dreams. They're very subjective, much like our typing opinions tend to be.

Still, I guess it's all contingent with the individual. As for myself, just think of a type that tends to overthink things.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does it matter what type I believe myself to be?

yes, since i explicitly said the point of this thread was to see if there was any correlation between mbti type/cognitive functions and dream type.

I

Infinite Bubble

My dreams are also about large-scale adventures. But their substance is usually a manifestation of a deep-seated anxiety or desire. The anxiety or desire, by the end, is usually either resolved, or the worst happens instead. They are very fun either way. They're usually realistic and, apart from some strange things and logical inconsistencies, could certainly happen in real life.

I'd like to ask you if you think there is a correlation between type of dream and cognitive functions.

I'm asking this because most of my dreams revolve around adventures, where I am the hero and I have to save myself and other people. I was thinking just now that this may be connected to Ne. So I was wondering if an Ni-dom, Fe-dom, etc would have different kinds of dreams. It would be cool if more people could share their dream types so we can understand if there is a correlation with cognitive functions or not (and if the correlation is only with the dominant function or also the auxiliary - for instance, maybe adventure dreams are Ne-Fi, I don't know)

Okay, here's the thing. You're an ENFP. So your dominant conscious functions are Ne and Fi. But your dreams aren't a manifestation of the conscious. They are a manifestation of the unconscious - it's your unconscious mind at work. Therefore I think they'd be correlated with functions lower in your stack. Your particular dreams might actually be from Se, for instance. My dreams are certainly Se-ish in nature, and for me that is probably the 7th/8th function. Why would you use your conscious cognition in your dreams? Dreams are essentially products of thoughts that have gone into the unconscious and need to be sorted through. Maybe the dreams are affected by conscious cognition, but are not in themselves. An example is this - "I usually fall back on someone else for emotional support or emotional meaning." Unconscious Fe desire for support, perhaps?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mine usually involve houses and buildings. I dream about pretty clothes a lot, and often food. School a lot. Sometimes I interact with others. I also dream a lot about cats. My dreams are really vivid and colorful. I don't know what this says about my JCF's. Mostly Se, occasionally Te (anxiety over accomplishment), Fe (helping/saving other people and animals, empathizing with terrible things going on with other people), and Ni (occasional astral travel and spiritual meaning). The opposite of those doesn't add up to a type, so I must be using some of my conscious functions. If I'm not INFJ, then that will be bad.

I've posted several dreams and dream comments in my blogs, if anyone happens to want to look at them.

Last night:

W

WALMART

I dream about pink ponies prancing across plowed farmland, freshly tilled to supply my needs for crafting homemade bourbons, and in turn, mint juleps. Hornets are usually present, and a recurring pair of marshmellow socks. I'm always searching for towers to climb up with my bicycle, and only realize I'm dreaming when a Happy Verticle People Transporter cues me in on it.

What am I?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, here's the thing. You're an ENFP. So your dominant conscious functions are Ne and Fi. But your dreams aren't a manifestation of the conscious. They are a manifestation of the unconscious - it's your unconscious mind at work. Therefore I think they'd be correlated with functions lower in your stack.

wow that's so interesting. but however, i'd argue that dreams are a manifestation of the unconscious mind, not unconscious function. right? a function is a mechanism to bring thoughts to the surface, thoughts which can be conscious or unconscious. don't you agree?

also, you've made me think that probably the nature of dreams is much more connected to the enneagram than to mbti.....

I dream about pink ponies prancing across plowed farmland, freshly tilled to supply my needs for crafting homemade bourbons, and in turn, mint juleps. Hornets are usually present, and a recurring pair of marshmellow socks. I'm always searching for towers to climb up with my bicycle, and only realize I'm dreaming when a Happy Verticle People Transporter cues me in on it.

What am I?

a unicorn? :tongue:

I

Infinite Bubble

wow that's so interesting. but however, i'd argue that dreams are a manifestation of the unconscious mind, not unconscious function. right? a function is a mechanism to bring thoughts to the surface, thoughts which can be conscious or unconscious. don't you agree?

But if the conscious functions reside and are used in the conscious mind, then it makes sense that the same is true for the unconscious functions. I mean, they have to be somewhere in the brain. And dreams are from the unconscious, so it would make sense that they are let loose - or at least, perceived - at this stage.

Thoughts that go unprocessed go into the unconscious, right? And dreams are you viewing these thoughts being processed. You are seeing into your unconscious. Dreams will definitely be coloured by conscious thoughts though. Maybe it's just that all the functions are freer during these states, which is why people get insight or come to epiphanies from dreams.

also, you've made me think that probably the nature of dreams is much more connected to the enneagram than to mbti.....

Yes, I think it may be intimately connected to Enneagram.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I commonly dream about heights (having to precariously walk on high bridges or the tops of buildings) and water (usually below whatever is high). When I find myself in the water, I feel scared, isolated and helpless. Usually there are other people in my dreams, but I never am saving anyone and no one is ever helping me.

Another common theme I dream about is driving. I've had quite a few dreams where I'm talked into going on a long trip that I didn't really want to go on, and them the driver of the car disappears on the freeway, and I'm forced to scramble to take control of the car as it's barreling down the freeway. I also dream about not being able to control my car.

Things randomly take flight a lot in my dreams. I recall the first time I ever was able to control my dream, I was walking in the rafters high up in a barn. Really scared going from beam to beam. Then I like realized I was dreaming and starting leaping and floating around up there. It was a lot of fun. Motorcycles around me on the freeway have taken flight before too.

I also have a weird recurring theme whenever I'm in a serious relationship where either me or him are suddenly in a situation where we're intimate with someone else. I've dreamed that my husband was marrying a friend and that I was in the wedding. I've dreamed that I was someone else's girlfriend and we kiss, then suddenly I remember about the guy I'm with. In all of those situations, I feel like I'm trying to fight to see reality, and that everyone is moving me along too quickly to see it. Like, "wait, this isn't right. why am I not okay with this?" but I can't put my finger on it. Then, when it's too late I realize what's going on and feel terrible. In the ones where my guy is the one with another girl, I always try to be really cool with it, try to bury how I feel, but inside I'm really hurt.

Of course I have work dreams too. It's almost always some crazy situation where I'm in way over my head and I can't keep up.

I've had quite a few dreams about death or dead people. I dream that family members die and I have to drag their body around or bury it in my yard. I dream that people who have died are back, and I know they've died and I talk to them about dying.

I like the observation you made about dreams being possibly more related to the enneagram. It makes sense, basic fears and stuff. It seems like most of my dreams I feel out of control of my situation. Not sure if that's a 7w6 thing or not.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've used intuition within dreams I have had. Not many times keep this in mind, but I have done so.

By intuition, I basically mean a sentence, word or so on coming to you out of nowhere.

I'd also say my dream recall is pretty amazing though, compared to an average dreamer.

I will go as far to speculate, that when I dream. My ability to break something down (or look at the bigger picture) with thought, is effectively not existent within the dream.