• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you think i can safely smoke weed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So you know about her mental health history, etc, and your advice didn't sound stupid and dangerous to yourself?:huh:

No my schizophrenic uncle used to smoke weed and it didn't really effect him negatively. It helped him actually. In fact, he used to smoke cigs too, and you would think that it would be detrimental to his health, but it helped him to not hear voices. However, given the current circumstances and seeing how it negatively effects her, I would say that you are right in the fact that she shouldn't be smoking weed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I so badly want to be neurotypical, and be able to relax and a friday night with a doobie. But the consensus is I shouldn't :(

I know... And alcoholics just want to be able to have a glasss of wine after work or some beers with their friends while watching the game Sunday afternoon... And people struggling with social anxiety disorder just want to be able to talk to that super interesting person they see at school etc its not fair purple and it sucks so much but try to concentrate on the good things happening... Like you're in treatment. You're on the right path... You're starting over and getting healthy... You'll find your balance... And your new healthier ways to unwind and relax on the weekend.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
No one who cares for your well being will tell you differently.. Weed is not a harmful substance, but it is a substance, and all substances have people who cannot tolerate it. Given the history, I'd agree that the no's your getting are sound.

93JC

I so badly want to be neurotypical, and be able to relax and a friday night with a doobie. But the consensus is I shouldn't :(

Even 'neurotypical' people have adverse reactions to marijuana, including psychosis.

Take it from someone who doesn't touch the stuff: relaxing on a Friday night is perfectly doable without a doobie. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That stuff is shit anyway. I'd stay away from it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What if my meds were working 100% and there was no chance of it intermingling with them, then could i?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What if my meds were working 100% and there was no chance of it intermingling with them, then could i?

Babe... You could if you had a positive experience but it doesn't sound like you have. You mentioned your breaks from reality were scary.

I know people who used to smoke a lot. Like a lot. Like really nice pot but they can't anymore because they began having extreme anxiety and paranoia and feeling like they were going to have a heart attack and both of them are neurotypical. Just some people can tolerate it and some can't.

Some people get mellow and creative and it can be a positive experience others either fall asleep or feel anxious and scared.

You just have to accept the reality as it is babe. Stop wishing it were different because its wasted energy.

Lark

No one who cares for your well being will tell you differently.. Weed is not a harmful substance, but it is a substance, and all substances have people who cannot tolerate it. Given the history, I'd agree that the no's your getting are sound.

I'd say its harmful, I think saying its not is a little like saying that alcohol or, hell even, sugar arent harmful, they all are but its a question of whether or not you think the harm is reasonable or not or whether you're willing to deal with the consequences.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wish I could fix it. :hug:

Jaguar

I was talking to someone earlier this week and describing what happens when i smoke, and it turns out they're small psychotic breaks that last for 1/2 hour to 5 hours depending on much I smoke and how strong it is. I can be smoking a lot and grow a tolerance but these breaks happen everytime i smoke. I find them scary while they're happening but fun to reflect back on. So my solution is to smoke on the weekends, but what if i don't come back one time?

Come on, prp. Use your head.

Lark

You're just going to have to change your thinking about this, I had to do the same thing when I got diabetes, about a lot of things and I'm not out of the woods yets and probably wont ever be.

If you can switch your satisfaction away from doing weed to abstaining from weed you'll have made a good start. I first did that when it came to saving, got myself more pleased with money saved than money spent each day. Its harder when its something you dont want to give up, like I dont find it easy not to buy books or comics I want when I see them, you know, but its do able.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Try huka. It gives me a similar calm vibe. Sorry you're dealing with this dilemma. I know what it's like to just want to be normal with a behavior.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ Good advice. I was trying to think if something that might fill that desire. That's a good suggestion.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'd say its harmful, I think saying its not is a little like saying that alcohol or, hell even, sugar arent harmful, they all are but its a question of whether or not you think the harm is reasonable or not or whether you're willing to deal with the consequences.

It isn't really harmful at all in and of itself. It is used in medicinal ways, and almost anything can be argued as being harmful. Red wine has high report for being healthy for the body, in moderation surely, but to say alcohol is harmful is to discredit many historical and current uses for the substance. Similarly, fruit is not at all harmful although it contains tons of sugar, and yet diabetics might as well be signing a death wish eating the stuff. That doesn't make fruit bad for you just because it has that side effect. It is people's weak wills and lack of testicular fortitude that are harmful.

Substances and their pros and cons ought to be carefully considered. If prpl didn't have the history she did, and mentioned that this happened, I would be suggesting the same because psychotic breakdowns, even minor in nature, are extremely taxing on the body's physical status, and the hormones released by the body when put under stress does a lot of negative things to one's self. Given that she's on medicines as well aimed to target things like hormone production, anything tampering with that ought to be an out right no-no.

There are some made deliberately to be harmful--cigarettes, meth, crack.. none of these serve any sort of purpose besides complete recreation and purposefully driven addiction. Weed is not one of those things, but I'd still say in this case it should be considered harmful despite it not being a harsh drug on its own.

The suggestion of hookah is also a really good idea, whomever said it! It is an almost social occasion, and it is relaxing and smells amazing. I don't smoke, but I enjoy being around people smoking hookah.

It can be an expensive habit though.. Maybe try smoking some flavored electronic cigarettes until you gain a bit of knowledge and money for something fun like that?

Mole

Permabanned
A study at the University of New South Wales has shown that marijuana precipitates psychosis in some users.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Personal opinions on that last batch of ideas.

Re hookah:
I can understand some level of wanting to 'just be normal'. And I recognize that something like smoking hookah with your friends can create or enhance feelings of connectedness with the group which can be beneficial for health. Most of the relaxation from hanging out and 'drinking a cold one' or 'smoking a blunt' or whatever else is built into the ritual of enjoying something simple and indulging. That's 90% of it right there. Set and setting. That can be replicated with a lot of things.

However, I can't imagine that sitting around breathing in smoke is good for your body. That nargilah muck doesn't scream: 'health product'. Not something I'd do regularly.

Smoking pot isn't the worst, and personally, I do enjoy it (fairly rarely) and do find it beneficial even, but never from experiences that scared me or I felt really broken off from reality, and if I ever did experience that (especially regularly) I'd stay away from it.

If that's what it's doing, don't do it. Think about the more valuable things you're losing after going through a psychotic break and recovering from that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
A study at the University of New South Wales has shown that marijuana precipitates psychosis in some users.

that interesting, it's the chicken or egg thing. I had my first true hallucination when i was 10 or 11 (saw the virgin mary, she told me to come to her, convinced it was actually the devil i ran the other way) and was having peripheals well before than and extreme paranoia to the point i wouldn't sleep. but i didn't smoke until i was 15 did i get worse naturally, or did me smoking make me worse???

Status
Not open for further replies.