• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

• Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I shouldn't but sometimes I laugh when someone posts that they've found the love of their life (again) and less than a week later its back to "changed their relationship to single". I have 2 friends that do it quite often :rofl1:

I like the "Hide" feature better than unfriending. It just seems more diplomatic. There are 3 people that I have on "hide". This way they are still on my friend list but if they mention something they posted I can just say "oh, I missed it. I must have been busy" Even though they probably posted the same thing over and over!

Edit: Ooops, Stigmata just posted roughly the same idea while I was thinking/typing.

Beorn

Permabanned
I haven't hid anyone's feed yet because there haven't been any consistent offenders, but I really hate the poop stories from parents of young children. I can and do endure all sorts of religious and political posts, but I really don't want to read anything crass and scatological in nature.

G

garbage

I just sit back, like so:
Same. Though, my reaction is more like

tCp90.gif

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Depends how its used. I find it can be quite useful. Othertimes, facebook conversations can completely ruin potential relationships with the opposite sex because the face to face interaction isn't there.

Though I'm also starting to suspect that facebook conversations are the most genuine form. Get rid of all the chemicals, infatuation, energy and tone of voice, and you can see more objectively, what kind of interests the person has, and judge compatibility based on that.

Though, I suppose its possible to have great conversations on facebook, then meet in person and be completely thrown off by their energy and nonverbal factors. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I suppose its possible.

Mole

Permabanned
A recent study, published in the newspapers, says Facebook reduces the happiness of users and makes teenagers more anxious.