• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To be or not to be a psychopath?

Would you choose to be a psychopath? l

• Yes

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 85.7%

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You may as well ask to be or not to be blue eyed or brown eyed or green eyed.

You have as much choice in that matter too.

Mmmm...like the young lady in Stoker...I cannot choose who I am as much as a flower chooses their color, like a skirt blown in the wind.

I like that she points out that her mother and father and uncle had something to do with. Most estimations of psychopathy include participation of environment; it's not completely genetic like bipolar or schizophrenia; which is why people with bipolar and schizophrenia can be so "interesting" and "lovely" making music or art or writing....it's genetics without too much ugly environmental input.

Then you have your violent schizophrenic and dangerous bipolar which are usually result of environment plus genetics, like psychopath, which requires the "perfect storm" of genetics plus abuse.

I wear my mother's shirt and my father's belt and shoes my (psychopath) uncle bought for me.

I don't think it excuses it though. They're like the ancient demon possessed.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're criticising a jobsworth as being on a "power trip" but think the psychopath response is "perfect"? You can't be serious...
She wasn't "totally unfazed". She was totally crazed. Murderous rage is an emotion. In this context, an irrational one.
I am serious. I have no patience with minor but self-important officials who busy themselves enforcing pointless, petty rules. Some people will object and argue when taken to task by such a person, but because the person is granted some authority by their position, this can end badly. Ignoring the person as much as possible is more effective and less risky. The world is full of people who, put in charge of a very small matter, treat it as their personal fiefdom in a way that is quite insufferable. If you have not noticed such people in your daily interactions, you are either very lucky, or perhaps already automatically ignoring them.

You are right about the subsequent emotional reaction. This does argue against the idea that psychopaths are emotionally detached, or incapable of feeling. The woman herself understands the nature of her reaction, though, as well as the inadvisability of pursuing it. If only all revenge fantasies came to such a fruitless end.

I have no idea. At a guess I'd say she felt compelled to stalk the guy as a result of feeling so highly aggrieved. This is typical of narcissistic injury. She held herself back though, because she understood that the consequences would not ultimately be in her favour. She satisfied herself with an impotent revenge fantasy.

Manipulating the thoughts, feelings and behaviours of those around her makes her feel powerful. She is also parasitising / sabotaging emotions she is unable to genuinely to experience herself. Psychopaths are needy beings at heart, like all parasites, they have to find a host. I think you would have to be terribly sad and empty to derive any kind of satisfaction from breaking someone's heart.
This is interesting, and again points to the role of emotions in what a psychopath does and why. I had considered mainly the challenge of the action: could she actually pull it off? I must admit, when I do things to help people, I often get satisfaction from exactly this, that I was able to do it.