• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Read/write learning style

It's pretty commonly accepted that there are three learning styles: visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Some people are now hypothesizing the existence of an additional fourth learning style, the reading and writing style:

"Read/write (R):

This preference is for information displayed as words. Not surprisingly, many teachers and students have a strong preference for this mode. Being able to write well and read widely are attributes sought by employers of graduates. This preference emphasizes text-based input and output - reading and writing in all its forms but especially manuals, reports, essays and assignments. People who prefer this modality are often addicted to PowerPoint, the Internet, lists, diaries, dictionaries, thesauri, quotations and words, words, words... Note that most PowerPoint presentations and the Internet, GOOGLE and Wikipedia are essentially suited to those with this preference as there is seldom an auditory channel or a presentation that uses Visual symbols."

Source.

I was pretty excited when I saw this because it explains my approach to school much better than any of the other styles, but then I started thinking about it and I wonder whether if it's not just a kind of super-focused blend of visual and kinesthetic, which are my two highest scores on the VAK system. (They recommend read/write learners to go through the physical act of writing and rewriting to memorize stuff).

Anyway, here's a pretty infographic for the visual learners and a QUIZ, if you like quizzes (I do).

Learning.png

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am kinesthic without taking the quiz. I only learn by doing you can talk to me to i'm blue in the face but i remember i word of it until i've applied it to something tangible. I can't learn from watching you tube videos like lots of people can or reading the instructions i need someone to physically take me step by step.

roman67

There are different styles of learning you can learn things visually, by reading and there are some others way too. You have to choose one of them.

93JC

There are different styles of learning you can learn things visually, by reading and there are some others way too. You have to choose one of them.

:irked:

No you don't. I can use any and all of them at will. The quiz calls such learners 'multimodal'. I use whichever strategies will best suit the material I'm learning and the person I'm learning from.

It can make learning something very easy because it allows for adaptation to the situation as it presents itself. It can also be a mixed blessing; sometimes to thoroughly learn something requires using all of the styles, which is not always easy to do.

"Read/write" is easily my strongest learning style, and auditory learning my weakest.