• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Child of rage" documentary

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This is attachment therapy? Seems like abuse.

I don't often engage in such cliche, popular culture terms but...

THE FUCK?!

This is horrible. I agree, it looks like abuse.

One more comment about "flat eyes" and expression. This is partly from personal observation over the years and partly Freudian in its concept, but people with a lot of aggression can have a tendency to overuse the muscles around the mouth. From aggression and passive-aggression based people I've interacted with I've noticed that this can result in a kind of over-enunciation and exaggeration of the mouth, or it can tighten down the mouth so it is very tense and barely moves.

A comedic example of this is Dwight from the American version of "The Office". He overly uses the muscles around his mouth without expressing much in the eyes. It is funny, but it adds to the effect of him being overly aggressive. The adult image of the woman of this thread has that overly fired up muscles around the mouth without any expression in the eyes, so not only does it appear false, there is a hostile feeling associated with it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure this guy is a functioning sociopath. He doesn't seem to have the ability to feel regret, embarrassment, and has "glib, superficial charm". So how about his eyes?

220px-Rod_Blagojevich_mug_shot.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm pretty sure this guy is a functioning sociopath. He doesn't seem to have the ability to feel regret, embarrassment, and has "glib, superficial charm". So how about his eyes?

220px-Rod_Blagojevich_mug_shot.jpg

not scary

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm actually wondering if this could be a fun, separate thread - to post pics and ask "sociopath or not a sociopath"? Just to see the reactions. Would that be too dicey?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he has scary eyes.

Yeah, do a thread.

Mole

Permabanned
Control Through Projection is Magical Thinking

What do you think of this expression and face?

What is scary is: projection is read as the face itself.

A sensible approach is that what is projected is ourself.

And this equally applies to mbti. Most actually believe they can read the personalities of their friends, family, celebrities and pets, when it is plainly a projection of ourself.

And this is deeply wilful. We want to control others through our projections.

And control of others through projection is called magical thinking.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is scary is: projection is read as the face itself.

A sensible approach is that what is projected is ourself.

And this equally applies to mbti. Most actually believe they can read the personalities of their friends, family, celebrities and pets, when it is plainly a projection of ourself.

And this is deeply wilful. We want to control others through our projections.

And control of others through projection is called magical thinking.
I agree to an extent, but are you suggesting that this is 100% true in all cases? That this is the one driving dynamic that occurs? My impression is that this is one element in our perceptions and interactions, but there is also experience, and other elements. There is something that had to happen through experience to us, not from us, in order to even create a Self in the first place. We can't project out of nothing.

I think that people who have actually looked into the eyes of socio/psychopaths and been violated by them could have the capacity to see it again in the eyes of another person with the same traits. People who are basing their impressions from movies with characters portrayed by actors are less likely to be able to identify this sort of thing. I don't think that posters who see cruelty in the eyes of an image are they themselves psychopaths, if that is what your post implies. I think it is more likely that there is a small percentage of posters who have encountered a small percentage of psychopaths in their lives. Yes, there could be a small percentage of posters that are themselves socio/psychopaths, but statistically the first scenario is the most likely because it is several powers of ten larger.

As a mildly amusing observation, it is possible for people to project onto others that they are projecting, when it is the observing individual who has a stronger tendency to project. ha. That is a mental swirly, but I think I've seen it happen.

Am I addressing your ideas at all here? I'll confess that I do not feel entirely clear on your post.

Mole

Permabanned
I'll confess that I do not feel entirely clear on your post.

Well, um, animism is the religious belief that inanimate objects are animate, are alive.

This is achieved by projecting our thoughts and feeling onto inanimate objects and then believing these thoughts and feeling come from the inanimate object, and so must be alive.

We do this to control the inanimate objects or natural phenomena. And it is called magical thinking.

We do something similar when we try to control others by projecting a star sign or a personality. We are trying to control others with astrology or mbti. And this is also called magical thinking.

And magical thinking mistakes the imagined for the real.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I watched this ages and ages ago. Honestly, probably when I was maybe 12 or 13. And so, as Ive watched it... My thoughts have sort of... I wouldnt say developed but... collected.

I feel sorry for her. She was very obviously and very clearly traumatized from a very early age. From what I have read about the abuse and emotional deprivation she experienced... it isnt hard to understand how her understanding of the rights or others, and her ability to empathize, has been distorted.

She is also a child. And a very young one in the video. Really, yes her behavior and demeanor is disturbing BUT- she also is nowhere near fully developed.

And that also brings me to this... from what I read... eventually her adoptive parents I believe sort of... fdrifted off from her- keeping her brother but I believe- if they didnt terminate custody... at the very least I dont think she ever returned to live with them after her holding therapy. I think she stayed with the therapist, if I remember what I read.

And she made progress I think with the therapist- but she also- I mean... that is a lot of loss for a child to experience. Theres all this upheaval in her life- honestly, her developing a conduct disorder or whatever... I really dont think when I see this video- as its been posted many times by many people- calling her a ‘psychopathic child’ is really fair given what I know about her. I cant say whether she IS or isnt. But from also what Ive read- shes grown up and has a daughter and lives under a different name. Probably to get away from being called a psychopath for like- being a traumaized child.

Anyways. I dont know whether she IS a psychopath or not- but... I havent thought this video... or her being held up as some sort of just- example child monster... is fair... for a long time.

Anyways, yeah.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I gotta go asap, but wanted to leave this here nonetheless.

So, now I'm back and have time to add a few thoughts:

I've always found the debate about whether psychopathy is environmental or brought up by genetics or both very interesting. In this video, this therapist explains the differences between sociopathy and psychopathy first, and then paints a picture of what these people look like and by that showing where the differences lay. I mainly posted this because a lot of people were wondering if the child of rages anger was environmental and could be changed by better and more attentive parents and wanted to see what other users would have to say about that after listening to the podcast and getting a clearer reference point to what therapists/psychiatrists commonly view as environmental-based or genetically pushed "lunatic" behaviour (or a mix between both, which happens as well).
I think it's easier to debate that with the facts in mind that psychopathy is commonly seen/viewed/experienced by people in the psychology-world as genetically induced.

What do you guys think? I'm curious, as I'm on the fence about this!

Mental Illness: It'''s Not in Your Genes | Big Think

Although this talks more about other mental illnesses than psychopathy, still kinda related because: I've found more and more articles and scientists and co in the literature world pleading humans behaviour is way more influenced by the environment and parenting than genetics - especially psychopathy. (Most stuff I've collected to this topic is in German though :dry:).