• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why i have a hard time accepting i have any type of psychosis

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is more for me than you, but i would like feedback. People repeatly tell me ablify doesn't work, but I find its the one med that doesn't turn me into a zombie and allows me to function, sure i take a pretty high dose of it (for the med) and it doesn't work all the time, but most of the time it makes me functional when I'm off it I can't function in the least. Any ways, I don't know where I'm going, but lets see if we can get there. I'm concerned that I'm not sick and it's all a placebo.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No chknz it's not a placebo. Abilify is pretty strong, some people can't even take it.

I'm not saying that to insult you, I think you're awesome, but I can't forget the conversation we had about robot parts in your pills. I'm not saying that to try to embarrass you, but to try to not let it happen again.

Just as I would like for someone to do the same for me (though my issues are different, I still think it's wrong to let these things go, it does more harm than good).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this is more for me than you, but i would like feedback. People repeatly tell me ablify doesn't work, but I find its the one med that doesn't turn me into a zombie and allows me to function, sure i take a pretty high dose of it (for the med) and it doesn't work all the time, but most of the time it makes me functional when I'm off it I can't function in the least. Any ways, I don't know where I'm going, but lets see if we can get there. I'm concerned that I'm not sick and it's all a placebo.

I imagine a drug like this will vary from patient to patient in terms of effectiveness. It's often prescribed to supplement an ongoing medication treatment with a another drug for depression/anxiety, etc. Perhaps these various drug combos in others are the reasons you're getting a lot of mixed/negative reviews? Just trying to consider possibilities for this. My old roommate took Abilify along with his meds for bipolar [but I forget which he took- they had him on a few different ones for awhile]- & he said it helped considerably. So I figure with small samplings of reviews + the variety of possible medication combos of the patients, it's unlikely you'd be able to universally conclude much about the medication except that it works well for you and what else you're on. Which is a good thing. Being a zombie's no fun. (that kind of zombie, at least)

But yeah, either way: def not a placebo drug. So if it works well for you, you're one of the fortunate patients who reaps its benefits.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah I don't really have side effects from it, I don't think. If I do they're minor and unnoticible. which also makes me suspect. I'm wondering why latuda fucked with me so much though it didn't make me a zombie but rather made my psychosis worst.yeah I take ablify both as a supplement to my mood stabilzer, for anxiety, and psychosis. most people who take it as a supplement take a much lower does usually. I don't know its weird i guess, the only other drug i've tried is seroquel for psychosis and that turned me into a complete zombie I took 500 mg

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
My personal story:

I was diagnosed with depression and given Viibryd by my doctor. I decided not to take it because I believed that I would get through the depression without it. The only reason I went to the doctor was so I could be paid to be off work. So for the next month or two, yeah I had unbelievable depression, and might still, but things slowly appear to be improving.

So maybe that helps. If you stop taking your meds you can probably expect some god awful psychological pain, and it could last for weeks or even months. It could possibly be risky if you go suicidal, but then again reliable sources say that meds like Abilify actually can increase your risk of suicide.

Long story short, I'm not in a position to make recommendations for you, but thought my perspective could maybe add something.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My personal story:

I was diagnosed with depression and given Viibryd by my doctor. I decided not to take it because I believed that I would get through the depression without it. The only reason I went to the doctor was so I could be paid to be off work. So for the next month or two, yeah I had unbelievable depression, and might still, but things slowly appear to be improving.

So maybe that helps. If you stop taking your meds you can probably expect some god awful psychological pain, and it could last for weeks or even months. It could possibly be risky if you go suicidal, but then again reliable sources say that meds like Abilify actually can increase your risk of suicide.

Long story short, I'm not in a position to make recommendations for you, but thought my perspective could maybe add something.

98% of psych meds can increase suicidality especially ssris if you have a bipolar component which I have and is why I can't take ssris they either make me suicidal or sleep all the time or not work at all

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I mean I should accept it. I move in 3 weeks, and I think it's making my symptoms act up and It scares me that something minor as moving is causing me to hear voices and for my thoughts to be broadcasted outside my head. I just want to be able to work and hold a job with out having to worry. I don't think I'm at the place i can hold a job which sucks, I can't even land a job. and when I'm stressed this happens. and jobs are stressful. Maybe one day, I hope one day I won't have to deal with this anymore. Is it possible to grow out of it? If I was off meds I'd be a lot lot worse, last time i went off them for 2-3 weeks and the doctor gave me the do you know the date and where you are quiz. Because my symptoms were acting up so bad.

the silver lining: they have esp so i never have to interact with them out loud making me look less crazy.

I'm probably fine, its probably all my imagination. See I really don't know because part of me is like yes yes I am another part of me is like that's ridiculous most people have this stuff happen to them. it's confusing.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
SSRI's turn you into a fat, sexless zombie. I've come to believe that they work the best to be on no more than 6 months to a year.

Yeah, prpl, I don't think you should shirk your symptoms. It's not normal to hear voices, especially threatening voices, or to have hallucinations like you've been describing in your blog. Keep taking your meds, they're not placebos and it's good that they're not giving you serious side effects.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, prpl, I don't think you should shirk your symptoms. It's not normal to hear voices, especially threatening voices, or to have hallucinations like you've been describing in your blog. Keep taking your meds, they're not placebos and it's good that they're not giving you serious side effects.

but it's depressing, to be clincally abnormal

Standuble

According to the infalliable Wikipedia it is common for sufferers of psychosis to have impaired insight e.g. not realising that what they are seeing and hearing would not be true and ignore them as a result. Thus I would say you should take your meds, remember back to a time when hearing voices and seeing things did not occur and from that determine whether it works or not.

Ooc: 666 post count. Satan approves my post.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm neurotypical so I obviously can't speak from personal experience with psych meds, but I know from experience with other meds, and from talking to friends with depression and ADHD, that it's totally typical to start underestimating the importance of the meds after having your symptoms stabilize.

Closest I can come to a personal, relevant example is the number of times that I've gone off my allergy meds, thinking it would be fine, and then been absolutely miserable all day from grass and trees and cats and dogs and horses and all the other shit I'm allergic to. And my first thought was "Holy shit, I forgot that this was normal before the meds." :doh: I don't know why this happens, but there's a disconnect.*

So I guess what needs to happen is that you always need to remember what it's like without the meds, to remind yourself that it isn't a placebo, and to keep yourself from having an episode.

(Also: Listen to [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13147]senza tema[/MENTION]!!!)

*Can we ignore how embarrassingly far away my example is from what you're going through? I'm trying, I swear. :doh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
According to the infalliable Wikipedia it is common for sufferers of psychosis to have impaired insight e.g. not realising that what they are seeing and hearing would not be true and ignore them as a result. Thus I would say you should take your meds, remember back to a time when hearing voices and seeing things did not occur and from that determine whether it works or not.

Ooc: 666 post count. Satan approves my post.
I use to have more insight, and when i'm on meds i have the sneaking suspicious they might not be real. But off them I have no insight and believe 100% the hallucinations are real.
Yeah, it sucks balls. But you're really not going to do yourself any favors by ignoring it.
sucking balls is no fun.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm neurotypical so I obviously can't speak from personal experience with psych meds, but I know from experience with other meds, and from talking to friends with depression and ADHD, that it's totally typical to start underestimating the importance of the meds after having your symptoms stabilize.

Closest I can come to a personal, relevant example is the number of times that I've gone off my allergy meds, thinking it would be fine, and then been absolutely miserable all day from grass and trees and cats and dogs and horses and all the other shit I'm allergic to. And my first thought was "Holy shit, I forgot that this was normal before the meds." :doh: I don't know why this happens, but there's a disconnect.*

So I guess what needs to happen is that you always need to remember what it's like without the meds, to remind yourself that it isn't a placebo, and to keep yourself from having an episode.

(Also: Listen to [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13147]senza tema[/MENTION]!!!)

*Can we ignore how embarrassingly far away my example is from what you're going through? I'm trying, I swear. :doh:

if you were allergic to humans, you'd be a hermit

but yes, the funny thing is the first few weeks i get stabelized i'm like yes yes I need these, but when I'm off them my mind is so irrational that it doesn't realize that something helped in the past or even that what i'm experiencing is abnormal. So it usually takes someone forcing me to take them until i'm stabelized and i guess to stay on them i need to remember how scary the paranoia and delusions are and that it's not normal to hear things that no one else hears. and that thoughts shouldn't broadcast themselves to an empty room, cuz who's there too listen?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sucking balls is no fun.
:yes: !
if you were allergic to humans, you'd be a hermit

but yes, the funny thing is the first few weeks i get stabelized i'm like yes yes I need these, but when I'm off them my mind is so irrational that it doesn't realize that something helped in the past or even that what i'm experiencing is abnormal. So it usually takes someone forcing me to take them until i'm stabelized and i guess to stay on them i need to remember how scary the paranoia and delusions are and that it's not normal to hear things that no one else hears. and that thoughts shouldn't broadcast themselves to an empty room, cuz who's there too listen?
Exactly! :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I should also remember that when I go off them each time the episodes become worse and more frequent and scarier.

I felt like for 3 weeks i had a moth stuck in my ear and thought it might be infected, but than when i went back on meds it went away. Like shit like that shows how real hallucinations can seem.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should also remember that when I go off them each time the episodes become worse and more frequent and scarier.

I felt like for 3 weeks i had a moth stuck in my ear and thought it might be infected, but than when i went back on meds it went away. Like shit like that shows how real hallucinations can seem.

Yeah, and shocking your system stopping/restarting/stopping/restarting can't be good on your body in terms of side effects and adjusting. Fuck that. Just stay on em<3