• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why i have a hard time accepting i have any type of psychosis

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
but it's depressing, to be clincally abnormal

And this is the part that doctors rarely address, I think. I mean, they give you medication, "Take this and I'll see you in six weeks..." But the fall-out from having a chronic condition is almost never touched. It's a rare doctor that treats a patient as a whole person and not just a set of walking symptoms to be crossed out with some meds.

It's good that the Abilify is working for you. Luck of the draw to find something that works well w/out debilitating side-effects...it's a keeper when it happens I think.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
And this is the part that doctors rarely address, I think. I mean, they give you medication, "Take this and I'll see you in six weeks..." But the fall-out from having a chronic condition is almost never touched. It's a rare doctor that treats a patient as a whole person and not just a set of walking symptoms to be crossed out with some meds.

It's good that the Abilify is working for you. Luck of the draw to find something that works well w/out debilitating side-effects...it's a keeper when it happens I think.

They give you a diagnosis and expect you to be ok with it, and send you on your way with some pills. And in therapy you address some underlying issues, reality checking skills, and ADLs and social skills but never how the fact you have a diagonosis effect yous in anyway

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Everyone's got their shit, though. Just some may be more overt and able to be labelled/compartmentalized moreso than others. Not to mention, there are tons of quasi-functional people out there who have all kinds of addictions, psych issues, or diseases they never seek treatment for.

I realize I'm not like, telling you anything you don't already know.. & I'm not trying to diminish how much it hurts to hear or just acknowledge every day- that you will have more trouble simply doing everyday things people take for granted. Senz is right, though. Good to try to work with what you got even if it sucks.

I have some chronic issues- the most directly debilitating have been more related to my physical health- and even that realm of medicine is a bit of a trial & error process for diagnosis & treatment. Knowing you may have to grapple with a problem for the rest of your life can weigh you down before you even give yourself a chance to start, if you let it. It gets difficult to hang on to hope for better things, but I mean.. medicine (including psych) has come such a long way, & it seems to be advancing exponentially over the years, so I think our generation's got some good chances of perhaps finding better and better treatments for this crap, as time goes on. I try to remind myself of little factors like that when things feel endlessly terrible/burdensome, or when I feel generally defective.

Having friends who give a damn, and pull me out of my head is a big help, too, though it can be difficult to ask for that kind of emotional support, directly. I don't always recognize when I've slid into that hopeless tunnel vision; it can impair my judgement. Trusted friends can provide clarity when it's hard to provide it for yourself, simply by giving feedback about anything on your mind. There are people here who do care a lot about you, & would always be willing to talk with you. Or not talk, if you preferred that, as well.

And clinical diagnoses- whatever they may be- physical ailments, psychiatric issues.. they're not who you are. Not by a long shot. I know this sounds like canned motivational-poster BS, but there's truth in it. And that said.. you're awesome. Having clinical abnormalities doesn't make you any less so, either. I sometimes remind myself just with one phrase, corny as it might sound: I am more than this.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Everyone's got their shit, though. Just some may be more overt and able to be labelled/compartmentalized moreso than others. Not to mention, there are tons of quasi-functional people out there who have all kinds of addictions, psych issues, or diseases they never seek treatment for.

I realize I'm not like, telling you anything you don't already know.. & I'm not trying to diminish how much it hurts to hear or just acknowledge every day- that you will have more trouble simply doing everyday things people take for granted. Senz is right, though. Good to try to work with what you got even if it sucks.

I have some chronic issues- the most directly debilitating have been more related to my physical health- and even that realm of medicine is a bit of a trial & error process for diagnosis & treatment. Knowing you may have to grapple with a problem for the rest of your life can weigh you down before you even give yourself a chance to start, if you let it. It gets difficult to hang on to hope for better things, but I mean.. medicine (including psych) has come such a long way, & it seems to be advancing exponentially over the years, so I think our generation's got some good chances of perhaps finding better and better treatments for this crap, as time goes on. I try to remind myself of little factors like that when things feel endlessly terrible/burdensome, or when I feel generally defective.

Having friends who give a damn, and pull me out of my head is a big help, too, though it can be difficult to ask for that kind of emotional support, directly. I don't always recognize when I've slid into that hopeless tunnel vision; it can impair my judgement. Trusted friends can provide clarity when it's hard to provide it for yourself, simply by giving feedback about anything on your mind. There are people here who do care a lot about you, & would always be willing to talk with you. Or not talk, if you preferred that, as well.

And clinical diagnoses- whatever they may be- physical ailments, psychiatric issues.. they're not who you are. Not by a long shot. I know this sounds like canned motivational-poster BS, but there's truth in it. And that said.. you're awesome. Having clinical abnormalities doesn't make you any less so, either. I sometimes remind myself just with one phrase, corny as it might sound: I am more than this.

This makes me feel better a little, but when i try to prove it wrong and i still can't land a job because i don't understand how to present myself properly [something that's second nature to most people] or when i have breakthrough symptoms because a change is approaching it scares me that I'm doing all this work, sure I back slide every now and than and have to pick up the pieces but I know i can be part of society some day and be able to live without anyone and people not worry if i'm alright.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This makes me feel better a little, but when i try to prove it wrong and i still can't land a job because i don't understand how to present myself properly [something that's second nature to most people] or when i have breakthrough symptoms because a change is approaching it scares me that I'm doing all this work, sure I back slide every now and than and have to pick up the pieces but I know i can be part of society some day and be able to live without anyone and people not worry if i'm alright.

Yeah, those setbacks are kind of excruciating. Tiring. Having people around to remind me it WILL get better helps more than I'd like to admit.
And yeah, you'll definitely be able to live on your own someday. Seemed like you did so well in Chicago with your roommate for a good long time. With proper treatments, and picking up new skillsets along the way, you'll be down that road again, no doubt.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, those setbacks are kind of excruciating. Tiring. Having people around to remind me it WILL get better helps more than I'd like to admit.
And yeah, you'll definitely be able to live on your own someday. Seemed like you did so well in Chicago with your roommate for a good long time. With proper treatments, and picking up new skillsets along the way, you'll be down that road again, no doubt.
my room mate was also a care taker, and helped me a lot in that sense. not as much as my mom would but she made sure i was alright. and alerted someone when i wasn't. I found out after i was sent to the psych ward months before she called my mom and told my mom that something wasn't right with me. she knew before anyone else knew. it's crazy

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my room mate was also a care taker, and helped me a lot in that sense. not as much as my mom would but she made sure i was alright. and alerted someone when i wasn't. I found out after i was sent to the psych ward months before she called my mom and told my mom that something wasn't right with me. she knew before anyone else knew. it's crazy

I think having a non-family roommate like that would probably be good once you do get out on your own. Good for company, and yeah, can check on you without smothering or making you feel like you're their dependent. Even people without issues like to check & make sure their roommates aren't a rotting corpse in their rooms every so often.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think most everyone has problems of some sort whether it is "clinically abnormal" or not. Many have rather serious problems. You are an interesting and genuine person and at least your issues can be addressed and regulated with medication. I personally think life is more interesting with obstacles that keeps a person from being too "normal". I'm not terribly normal because I face my own issues which are helped with medication as well.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think having a non-family roommate like that would probably be good once you do get out on your own. Good for company, and yeah, can check on you without smothering or making you feel like you're their dependent. Even people without issues like to check & make sure their roommates aren't a rotting corpse in their rooms every so often.

I prefer not being a rotting corpse, personally

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer not being a rotting corpse, personally

:thinking: Likewise.

I'll be ok with it after the zombies come, though. I'd prefer that than them getting to just maul/consume me entirely.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think most everyone has problems of some sort whether it is "clinically abnormal" or not. Many have rather serious problems. You are an interesting and genuine person and at least your issues can be addressed and regulated with medication. I personally think life is more interesting with obstacles that keeps a person from being too "normal". I'm not terribly normal because I face my own issues which are helped with medication as well.

true I just need to not look at as a slave to medication but rather a magical supplement that makes me a real girl, i'm no longer a puppet of my illness but rather i cut the strings with the meds. and can now begin to move forward.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
this is more for me than you, but i would like feedback. People repeatly tell me ablify doesn't work, but I find its the one med that doesn't turn me into a zombie and allows me to function, sure i take a pretty high dose of it (for the med) and it doesn't work all the time, but most of the time it makes me functional when I'm off it I can't function in the least. Any ways, I don't know where I'm going, but lets see if we can get there. I'm concerned that I'm not sick and it's all a placebo.

I really don't know if you have any kind of a psychosis, but you've been posting regularly for the past few years, at least from what I could tell. I'd say something's got to be deeply wrong with you, but I can't put my finger to what that is.

Do you want to prove to yourself that you don't have any kind of a pathological condition? Then get off this forum for good or at least come back only once in a great while.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I really think you need help SW. Sad to say but you have deep seated issues that need to be addressed.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you, I'll consider that. Have you read my signature?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
lalalalala i can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalal

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
true I just need to not look at as a slave to medication but rather a magical supplement that makes me a real girl, i'm no longer a puppet of my illness but rather i cut the strings with the meds. and can now begin to move forward.

That's the best way to look at it....the meds are not taking away anything, they are simply allowing you the chance to live your life without the mental equivalent of chronic pain mixed with partial paralysis or blindness/deafness to constantly distract you, beat you down, and hold you back. Just remember that the only difference between taking the meds and wearing glasses is bad publicity from ignorant people.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's the best way to look at it....the meds are not taking away anything, they are simply allowing you the chance to live your life without the mental equivalent of chronic pain mixed with partial paralysis or blindness/deafness to constantly distract you, beat you down, and hold you back. Just remember that the only difference between taking the meds and wearing glasses is bad publicity from ignorant people.

and people who don't actually know you, and just assume that because you don't fit a stereotype you must be lying. It pisses me off, that i get called a liar by someone who is so arrogant can't smell his own shit.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really don't know if you have any kind of a psychosis, but you've been posting regularly for the past few years, at least from what I could tell. I'd say something's got to be deeply wrong with you, but I can't put my finger to what that is.

Do you want to prove to yourself that you don't have any kind of a pathological condition? Then get off this forum for good or at least come back only once in a great while.

She's posted on the forum for years, candidly discussing and exploring various diagnoses she's been given for psychiatric conditions. It seems patently obvious to anyone who has indeed observed her posting over the the years, that she wavers back and forth with regard to how to deal with these issues, & is seeking external feedback to supplement what she thinks/feels, as well as to further examine what those in her immediate environment offer. Suggesting she leave a community where she has friends and (most of the time) reasonable people to discuss this with seems like a rather pointless bit of advice to dispense.

I wonder what your motivation/reasoning behind it is. Are you aware of it?
-To clarify, I'm not trying to attack you in any way. I'm genuinely curious.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think you guys need to relax a little- I'm pretty sure SW was making a (awkward, ill-timed and executed) joke that anyone who posts here regularly has to be nuts.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you guys need to relax a little- I'm pretty sure SW was making a (awkward, ill-timed and executed) joke that anyone who posts here regularly has to be nuts.

"Aspie INTx humor" crossed my mind as a possibility, hah. Thought I'd ask for his reasoning, though, since it wasn't entirely clear.

(the post being sensitive subject matter, Fe kicks in & I'm kind of its bitch/need to seek clarification)