• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Whole Soul

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you can fall in love, are you whole?

What a weird question!
I am who I am no matter what "state" I am in.

Victor's talking about achieving the full potential of one's personal growth, the supposed true-blooming of the "I"... some people believe there is no such thing as an "I", only a shifting and tremulous network of attitudes, memories/experiences, beliefs... some take this latter viewpoint to imply that there can be a point when one becomes a whole, singular "I" (like in Enlightenment or, speaking in less grandiose terms, completely free of neuroses and cognitive dissonance)....

Regardless, merely being who/what one is at a given moment in time, a tautology in any case, doesn't negate the possibility of there coming into existence a more full realization of who you could be.

All that having been said I have no definite views on the matter.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Victor's talking about achieving the full potential of one's personal growth, ......

Regardless, merely being who/what one is at a given moment in time, a tautology in any case, doesn't negate the possibility of there coming into existence a more full realization of who you could be.

The need for personal growth comes from within. Nobody can make another person grow if the other person doesn't want it. So, at least in my case the fact of being in love or not being in love does not affect my personal need for growth.

Mole

Permabanned
Ah, Finland.

The need for personal growth comes from within. Nobody can make another person grow if the other person doesn't want it. So, at least in my case the fact of being in love or not being in love does not affect my personal need for growth.

I am told, in Finland it is too cold to fall in love - but I don't believe it.

I am also told, in Australia, that a glass of wine might lead to love - but no matter how much I drink, I can't even become infatuated.

Perhaps if I mix your Finnish cold with my Australian wine, Cupid may strike me with an arrow.

But it is summer in Finland and so it is not too cold, and it is winter here with hot tomato soup.

So perhaps you are right - nobody can make you grow anymore than they can make you fall in love.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^ :)

Australia. I hope to travel there someday.

One addition to my writing. Another person can inspire you (or me or anybody) to change or to grow. Another person can also support you in your growth but the need for change comes from within. That's what I believe anyway.

Mole

Permabanned
Here and Now

^ :)

Australia. I hope to travel there someday.

One addition to my writing. Another person can inspire you (or me or anybody) to change or to grow. Another person can also support you in your growth but the need for change comes from within. That's what I believe anyway.

You are already here. Look, it is 12.39 AM on Saturday, 5th of July. A cold front is moving into Canberra and we are getting much needed rain.

It is completely quiet outside. The trees commune together in the rain. How wonderful, they say.

But it is already Saturday, and quite soon I will snuggle into my down jacket and walk up to the Bakery for coffee and the newspaper.

Why, you could even come with me - I could take my Flip camera and talk to you the whole way - but, I wonder would you like to remain silent while I read the "Australian" newspaper - perhaps you would like to read the Canberra Times - or would you just prefer to chat in the warm Bakery?

But I know just what you would say. You would say, "I've only been here five minutes but I am already homesick for Finland".

"Don't worry", I would say. "Drink your coffee, and we will go look at the Finnish Embassy". It is a beautiful architectural construction. Then I will let you go home from Canberra's winter to Finland's summer.

And when you get home, I want you to send me by airmail, a Finnish posy of Alcea Rosea.

What a lovely guest you are.

Mole

Permabanned
Embassy of Finland

You are already here. Look, it is 12.39 AM on Saturday, 5th of July. A cold front is moving into Canberra and we are getting much needed rain.

It is completely quiet outside. The trees commune together in the rain. How wonderful, they say.

But it is already Saturday, and quite soon I will snuggle into my down jacket and walk up to the Bakery for coffee and the newspaper.

Why, you could even come with me - I could take my Flip camera and talk to you the whole way - but, I wonder would you like to remain silent while I read the "Australian" newspaper - perhaps you would like to read the Canberra Times - or would you just prefer to chat in the warm Bakery?

But I know just what you would say. You would say, "I've only been here five minutes but I am already homesick for Finland".

"Don't worry", I would say. "Drink your coffee, and we will go look at the Finnish Embassy". It is a beautiful architectural construction. Then I will let you go home from Canberra's winter to Finland's summer.

And when you get home, I want you to send me by airmail, a Finnish posy of Alcea Rosea.

What a lovely guest you are.

See, it is quite an extraordinary building. But what you can't see is that it is set in bushland by the lake.

Just click on -

Embassy of Finland, Canberra - Consulate of Finland, Sydney: Embassy

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will be devils advocate here and ask following questions.

If you can't fall in love, are you whole?

Or if you can fall in love, are you damaged?

Maybe from this perspective you will see the answer you are looking for.

Mole

Permabanned
Upside Down Love, Downunder.

I went to the Finnish Embassy and put the question to them.

Oh, oh, they said, it is the Antisocial One.

How did you know that, I said.

Easy, they said, he just turns everything on its head.

Oh no, I said, he is just trying to be helpful.

Look, they said, he knows everything is upside down in Australia. So he saw you coming.

Devil's advocate, they said, more like a little devil.

And anyway, what does an Embassy know about falling in love. Don't they know it is too cold to fall in love in Finland?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

Love knows no laying down of conditions.

If this is true.. then how can one not be whole* when loving? Truly loving, that is..

And vice versa... how can one be whole when one has conditions to be met by the other party?

*I believe that everyone is whole, but am using the word for the purpose of the argument of whether or not one is whole when loving.