• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

problems accepting compliments graciously

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When I get compliments from someone, sometimes I think things like:
- that's because you don't know me well enough.
- is it because you're trying to be nice?
- Really? I don't think I did that good a job.

1. The thing is, we know ourselves on a deeper level than other people do. To them a trait you deem rather average may come off as really outstanding. But you, knowing yourself on a deeper level, know whatever they are complimenting on is not really the case or just very average to your personal standards. Be aware of the fact that we as humans like to sometimes be very hard on ourselves and are having really high standards. A good thing is to questioning how well you did whatever was complimented: Was it only unnecessary details you did not get right while doing the job, but you covered the basics easily? Then you did a good job most likely!
In this case however it seems more likely that something they complemented on is not really true, and you know yourself a bit better, so you go "Eh, you just saw one particular thing/time when I did that really well but most of the time I completely suck at it." Of course they don't know that, but you do.

2. In this case it seems as if something about how the other person complimented you, a facial expression, or the tone they used when complimenting you, or maybe you just think that person has some kind of personality that would lie, made you question their compliment. You need to listen to your own thoughts. And then try to find out what could have led to that reaction. If the person that complimented you did seem genuine, than maybe the reason why you thought "are you just trying to be nice?" is because you are for some reason uncomfortable with taking compliments.

3. People have different standards. You might view the job you did as bad or just average, but someone else will see it differently, for a lot of reasons. For eg I am happy when someone who doesn't write and doesn't read much and says he is as creative as a stone compliments my stuff, but chances are, they do not know a lot about writing so it's appropriate to take that compliment with a little scepticism.
If you get complimented by someone who writes a lot themselves, then the chances are better the compliment has value. But it also could be that this person writes a lot of really shitty stuff with a thousand grammatical errors, sooo basically, always question the motives of the people, and who it was that complimented you, if they're even competent enough to give valueable feedback on that particular matter.

As you can see, being sceptical about compliments does not have to mean you have problems with your self-esteem.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
- Really? I don't think I did that good a job.
The thing is, we know ourselves on a deeper level than other people do. To them a trait you deem rather average may come off as really outstanding. But you, knowing yourself on a deeper level, know whatever they are complimenting on is not really the case or just very average to your personal standards. Be aware of the fact that we as humans like to sometimes be very hard on ourselves and are having really high standards. A good thing is to questioning how well you did whatever was complimented: Was it only unnecessary details you did not get right while doing the job, but you covered the basics easily? Then you did a good job most likely!

I appreciate your delving into this enquiry.

When you have acquired a certain level of mastery and you still have a fragment of an alien form of perfectionnism somewhere, you find it hard to genuinely accept compliments.

Thinking back, I was a straight A student but I never was impressed by my grades for the sole reason that I didn't perceive them as accomplishments. I had bigger things in mind.
When kids used to be impressed by supercars and that sort of thing, I would say "Meh. It's just a Ferrari. What's the fuss about?"
When I was a teenager and the boys used to speak about certain girls in the locker room, I would say "Meh. She's just a girl. What's the fuss about?"
When I was in high school playing guitar for the band in a concert for some event, I'd have people come and praise my performance and all that, and I would say "You people are crazy. Calm your tits. It was just a solo."

I was always proud in the meaning of "Dignity", and never proud in the meaning of "one's satisfaction of their own achievements". I have confidence linked to who I am, as opposed to what I did or what I have. And I don't think the things I did to have the things I have has anything to do with who I am. For many have more, and yet not confident. In the core of things, it is actual humility that doesn't allow me to overinflate the value of anything, thus never imbibing their grandeur through external feedback.

This also might explain why I have an equanimous colossal ego that only feeds on itself, and why I'm attracted to humbleness in people.

rav3n

I tend to evaluate the source and the genuine nature of the compliment. Some give compliments as a form of social grease which is fine when the intent is friendliness.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
When I get compliments from someone, sometimes I think things like: - that's because you don't know me well enough. - is it because you're trying to be nice? - Really? I don't think I did that good a job. I find that these thoughts appear more when the compliment touches on things I've done (that's impressive work/you play the piano well) or perceptions on who I am (you're always so cheerful and good to your friends). Does this scream low self-esteem to you? Does anyone feel this way too? Are my internal standards too high? How can I improve this?

In some cases it's natural to think these things. Some compliments are genuine and sincere, but some compliments come from a place that is arrogant and condescending, and some seem more or less like the other person saying "I am stupid". I know "you're so funny" annoys me a bit. I think it's because it is so detached. I normally am thinking, well if it's true just laugh and enjoy the moment rather than making a mundane observation.

Still if the compliment is well meaning but a little off, I try to see the intent rather than the content. In the end, that's what actually matters.

Deprecator

I'm thinking that this is a problem that only smart and good looking people have to worry about.

Last edited:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unsolicited compliments immediate trigger a defensiveness in me that makes me think the deliverer has some kind of agenda -- Or that they're trying to flatter me, which doesn't do anything for me. If it doesn't feel genuine to me, you might as well save your breath.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a hard time giving out compliments. Nothing easily gains my awe from others. It seems some people just get their life done so magically. Why the more affirmations?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a hard time giving out compliments. Nothing easily gains my awe from others. It seems some people just get their life done so magically. Why the more affirmations?
I resist giving out compliments, too. There seems to be no purpose. I do try to be better about expressing gratitude when something benefits or positively affects me, and in giving positive feedback for a job well done. I can see this sort of communication overlapping with compliments sometimes.

Amberiat

Infinity
Unsolicited compliments immediate trigger a defensiveness in me that makes me think the deliverer has some kind of agenda -- Or that they're trying to flatter me, which doesn't do anything for me. If it doesn't feel genuine to me, you might as well save your breath.
Same here.

Compliments that have no solid foundation that you yourself can see and believe are almost always manipulation attempts or a reflection of the insecurities that the person giving out the compliments has (e.g. if someone doesn't believe you like them or that they are worthy of your time they might excessively compliment you in an attempt to feel like they've done something to deserve you).

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
It's surprising to see so much skepticism and cynicism. I mean, I know the type of person who gives out phony compliments, but I don't assume the worst in people.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I come from a very critical background.

For my own well-being (and my environment as well) I had to learn how to congratulate and accept them as well.

Physical compliment : what I feel (always due to one's experiment and needs) is that they don't touch me especially. When they do it is with people I really trust (I don't care if people love my boobs, t.shirt or dislike my hair cut).

I like giving them (my compliments, not my breast) to people I feel sad.

Indeed, when I feel they could need it, a person next to me, I offer a smile, have a small chat. For example that fat lady smiling sadly next to me 2 days before wearing a big red hat, I felt her so miserable ;

I told her : "It is a lovely hat". She answered shyly : "Oh it didn't cost a lot". I answered : "It can cost nothing and still be beautiful" (she didn't react so I added )"Next time someone tells you something about your hat say

it costed 2000 euros ;)"

Compliments about talents : I do appreciate them and I receive a lot of appreciation and trust in my business. I know I'm worth it because languages and people is what I love dealing with.

People don't try to be nice. I bring something positive and they show me they enjoyed it.

Of course I speak here of authentic compliments. All that is inauthentic make me ironic, aggressive and does not deserve my attention.

Now that I have succeed to lead a very independant lifestyle, so that no one has to "suck my balls" and vice versa, I work for improvement end understanding.

No one forces us to go for it as we are responsible of our choices. I deeply think people can feel this in me, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm good at spotting and accepting compliments.

242219.jpg

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's surprising to see so much skepticism and cynicism. I mean, I know the type of person who gives out phony compliments, but I don't assume the worst in people.
I don't assume it, but I do prepare for it. I don't assume the best either. I approach people fairly neutrally, and wait to see what ensues.

rav3n

This is a good thread to assess who not to give compliments to, in case of ire from misperceived agenda, lol.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll never remember. :happy2:
Nor I. On the infrequent occasion when I give an earnest compliment, it has nothing to do with the expected reaction. Despite my cynicism, when I am on the receiving end of suspect compliments, I can't be bothered to take offense or be upset. I see what I can learn from it about the other person

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Nor I. On the infrequent occasion when I give an earnest compliment, it has nothing to do with the expected reaction. Despite my cynicism, when I am on the receiving end of suspect compliments, I can't be bothered to take offense or be upset. I see what I can learn from it about the other person

Same.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not being able to receive compliments is a sign that you're taking yourself too seriously. In fact, it's often rude not to accept a compliment.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I resist giving out compliments, too. There seems to be no purpose. I do try to be better about expressing gratitude when something benefits or positively affects me, and in giving positive feedback for a job well done. I can see this sort of communication overlapping with compliments sometimes.

These are two different issues, though. On the one hand, Forever is saying that he doesn't see anything (generally) to compliment people on. On the other, Coriolis is saying there seems to be no purpose in giving compliments.

I do not give insincere compliments. But I definitely think there are purposes in giving compliments, such as making the other person feel good, informing them that you think they did something well or about a characteristic you admire, creating a sense of good fellowship.

Yeah, okay, I'm totally an INFP being all fluffy-like, trying to see the good in people, but dammit, the idea that y'all would take a sincere compliment from me and think I'm trying to manipulate you makes me sad.