• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you be friends with someone like Dexter?

H

Hate

If you found out with one hundred percent certainty that someone you considered a friend had the same proclivities and hobbies as Dexter Morgan, what would you do?

Would you call the police? Would you pretend you didn’t know? Would you perhaps join him?

The facts:

-You’re 100% certain
-Your friend doesn’t know you know
-Being charged with accessory after the fact and legal issues do not apply here.

What would you do?

dexter-main.jpg

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha - I've edited the heck out of this post. I can't decide on what is okay to say here before my ability to edit locks out.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sure, he's probably more ethical than a lot of people I know.

him being a cop would be more of a deterrent than the whole serial killer thing, lol.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sh'yeah, I'd totally be friends with him!

(Oh, I thought you were talking about being friends WITH Dexter. Not someone LIKE Dexter. I was thinking of having hot sex with him amidst the bloody corpse in his cellophane wrapped room, with the masks and all lol opps.)

It depends, I mean, I don't want to get into trouble so I wouldn't say anything about this to him or the police. I'd still be his friend if no one knows about his hobby and I keep my mouth shut, but if he does get caught I'm going to pretend I didn't know about his activities.

H

Hate

Haha - I've edited the heck out of this post. I can't decide on what is okay to say here before my ability to edit locks out.

:devil: :devil:

Spill it, I want the truth!

(Oh, I thought you were talking about being friends WITH Dexter. Not someone LIKE Dexter. I was thinking of having hot sex with him amidst the bloody corpse in his cellophane wrapped room, with the masks and all lol opps.)

You dirty slut.

It depends, I mean, I don't want to get into trouble so I wouldn't say anything about this to him or the police. I'd still be his friend if no one knows about his hobby and I keep my mouth shut, but if he does get caught I'm going to pretend I didn't know about his activities.

In this thread we're pretending legal ramifications do not apply, this is more of a moral question.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In this thread we're pretending legal ramifications do not apply, this is more of a moral question.

Of course I would. If he only kills people who deserves to die because they kill other people or done morally wrong things (like BIG things), then I'd say that karma came in the form of Dexter-friend.

G

Ginkgo

If you found out with one hundred percent certainty that someone you considered a friend had the same proclivities and hobbies as Dexter Morgan, what would you do?

Would you call the police? Would you pretend you didn’t know? Would you perhaps join him?

The facts:

-You’re 100% certain
-Your friend doesn’t know you know
-Being charged with accessory after the fact and legal issues do not apply here.

What would you do?

dexter-main.jpg

No. We would be friends and then I would step in big doodoo by finding him in the act. At that point I would be expendable. Even if we were close, it would be the friendship of a lifetime, and I can't be tied down like that.

H

Hate

No. We would be friends and then I would step in big doodoo by finding him in the act. At that point I would be expendable.

That's plausible, but still an assumption. For all you know it could bring you closer. Dexter's sister caught him in the act and she didn't become expendable.

Even if we were close, it would be the friendship of a lifetime, and I can't be tied down like that.

Commitment issues?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's plausible, but still an assumption. For all you know it could bring you closer. Dexter's sister caught him in the act and she didn't become expendable.

DON'T SPOIL IT FOR ME

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with Dexter is that he doesn't just kill bad people. He makes mistakes. He loses his temper and gets reckless. People get in his way. His own ego gets in his way. He makes justifications and impulsive decisions that hurt people or complicate his life, and then he does panicked damage control. His philosophy is that he only kills bad people, but that is not what actually happens. How skewed does his good people to bad people ratio need to be before he's judged to be just as bad as the people he hunts?

He tries to do the vigilante thing properly and tries to minimize collateral damage, but it's still there, no matter his efforts.

So I guess my answer would be that I'm not actually sure what I would do if one of my friends turned out to be Dexter, or like Dexter. It's undeniably true that he's rid the world of a lot of genuinely bad people, but it's the vast gray area that gives me pause. Is it worth it? I don't know.

Little_Sticks

What would you do?

Based on the show...

His character is very likable to me. He cares deeply about the people close to him; he helps people who discover who he is without killing them (when that would be easier); and his desire to kill is channeled into killing people that society is better off without. He's also very ethically minded in who he kills and why and how it affects people he cares about. He could trust someone like me to not use knowledge of his killings against him and I would like having someone else around who also feels like they have to hide themselves from most people. A part of me is even intrigued by it when he kills people who are clear psychopaths; there's something desirable about wanting to fight off and kill people like that. It's more than just adrenaline; it's also about doing what seems right.

Yeah, Dexter is pretty cool. He's not really a psychopath though...if he was like some of the people he murders I probably wouldn't like him at all. He seems more like an ST adrenaline junkie who gets some kind of primal release in hand-to-hand combat and murder who was traumatized into thinking he's a psychopath. He'd probably make a good special operations soldier, assassin, mercenary, or something.

G

garbage

I think he kills people, right?

I couldn't be complicit in that sort of thing. Not only would someone like that cease to be a friend of mine, but also I'd be forced to turn him in.

edit: oh, turns out he tries to kill bad people. My answer still stands

S

Society

really? regardless of whether you agree with his action, is anyone here really only friends with people whose life choices and habits they agree on? that seems rather limiting...

if an existing close friend turned out to do be a serial serial-killer killer,, i'd probably continue the existing friendship.

(assuming we're talking later dexter. season 1-2 dexter saw the friendships as part of his attempt to mask who he 'really was', in which case the friendship wouldn't be genuine).

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would have no problem being a friend of his, knowing full well what he does.
Personally, I do my chores a bit differently but along the same lines.
Me and other nationalists in my city are starting up a neighborhood watch to stop the never-ending stream of crime against our people.
Rapes, robberies, the occasional murder, lots of gang beatings of people just because they're white and alone in the wrong neighborhood etc.

If this happened to any other group, there would be hell to pay and media outrage.
As it is, we have to take care of it by stepping up and doing it ourselves.
I just can't stand the feeling of seeing headline after headline or hearing about strangers raping my country in every way, shape and form.
Talking about it gets me called a racist, daily. I get threats and it is really not a pleasure. Society here is strongly polarized.
What gives me hope is that the young male population is starting to wake up quickly now.
My party has thousands of activists, and more will vote for us.
What I do get out of it all is knowing that I am doing right by my people.
Knowing that I have acted, I can sleep easy and with clear conscience.
My obligation is towards my family and my people. Nobody else.

I am not like Dexter, but there are probably similarities in there somewhere.
We both are doers, but I act out of love for my people. He from a code.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
On principle I don't befriend serial killers. Even if they were trying to "do the right thing" by killing these people, I wouldn't stand by them.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If Dexter himself was my friend.... now that's what I call a kiki, honey.

Nicki

Retired
Nah, I wouldn't want him to kill me if we disagreed on something.