• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why IQ Matters: For Dummies

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.cracked.com/article_20297_5-popular-self-help-tips-that-actually-hurt-your-career.html

"But performing a task for work or school is very different than doing it in a lab -- there's a lot more pressure in a real world scenario, so they changed the conditions. They told both groups that they'd have another math test, but this time their high performance would earn them cash and their results were going to be examined by math professors. The results of that next test? The score of the HWM [high working memory] guys dipped so badly that they had become just as horrible as the scores of the LWM [low working memory], while the LWM crowd scored just about the same. The stress brought on by the extra incentives didn't affect the stupid guys at all, while the HWM were pissing in their boots."

I don't care that the cite comes from Cracked.com.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They would probably get used to the added pressure with training and mental preparation, but the article seems to miss that.

I don't care that the cite comes from Cracked.com.
Perhaps you should.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They would probably get used to the added pressure with training and mental preparation, but the article seems to miss that.

Perhaps you should.

The Cracked article is referring to a scholarly study. It just seems that the public school system encourages anxiety, and those who are prone to anxiety find refuge there. Thus their inability to come to terms with external reality.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't give a crap how smart I was born, just as long as I can maximize it.

It's kind of like how in video games you can raise minor skills to 100, and some major skills don't reach it.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I think it is rare that people take into account that the brain is a network that can be flooded with "chatter" by introduction of excessive stressors in the environment especially in early childhood. It is amazing when resilience can be fostered in such an environment.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I thought this was going to be an argument for the validity of IQ. I know this didn't have much to do with it, but I don't really agree with IQ testing as a true means of intelligence. The idea of multiple intelligence makes much more sense imo.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's kind of like how in video games you can raise minor skills to 100, and some major skills don't reach it.

Video games are another refuge from life.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think it is rare that people take into account that the brain is a network that can be flooded with "chatter" by introduction of excessive stressors in the environment especially in early childhood. It is amazing when resilience can be fostered in such an environment.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there, but your sig is probably in violation of the forum rules.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read that article. I think the rationale behind smart people cracking up under pressure is that they because they are smart, they are able to generate reasons for why something may not work and may be prone to overanalyzing things.

S

Society

I wonder if higher EQ people would suffer less from this affect.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Thinking is a refuge from life as well. As long as human beings distort the information they receive with individual perception our existence is going to be a form of refuge from life.

Imagination is the purest form of this refuge and in it we find great joy and entertainment for our striving. Without it we would be husks; at one with the universe yet incapable of knowing it.

Video games are an expression of this imagination. Of course something being 'a refuge from life' is a purely semantic statement, assuming that ones notion of what life actually is, is superior to anyone else's.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thinking is a refuge from life as well. As long as human beings distort the information they receive with individual perception our existence is going to be a form of refuge from life.

Imagination is the purest form of this refuge and in it we find great joy and entertainment for our striving. Without it we would be husks; at one with the universe yet incapable of knowing it.

Video games are an expression of this imagination. Of course something being 'a refuge from life' is a purely semantic statement, assuming that ones notion of what life actually is, is superior to anyone else's.

Aren't functions a 'distortion' of perception? Doesn't Si color the perceptions it receives with something from itself?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought this was going to be an argument for the validity of IQ. I know this didn't have much to do with it, but I don't really agree with IQ testing as a true means of intelligence. The idea of multiple intelligence makes much more sense imo.
This.

And this.

And also this.

I think smart people think they have something to lose by making mistakes, while average and low people don't really. And smart people tie their sense of self to intelligence, so making mistakes affects both their ego and their confidence in their general abilities to perform in the real world, since it goes to the core of who they are. I read an article to this effect, and it's how I feel.

W

WALMART

This is why sports analysts state intuitors make poor athletes, they have trouble with high energy situations.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Aren't functions a 'distortion' of perception? Doesn't Si color the perceptions it receives with something from itself?

Both introverted perception functions colour their perceptions with something from themselves. But I was talking in a general sense, concerning humans.
It could easily be extrapolated that I would be applying my idea of perception through Si and tarring a species with it. However I would say that that there is plenty of heuristic evidence supporting my observation.

For example Se could be considered the most literal 'objective' version of perception, but Se dominants are not all the same person, they are still individuals. Indeed they may share similar traits and interests but in themselves they are each different people. They would still experience their sensory information in their own way.

Besides, concerning Si everyone will use Si in some form or another, as supposedly a person will have access to all 8, just to differeing levels.

ps: So what made you mention Si?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
So why is IQ still strongly correlated with school performance? (and work performance too, to a lesser extent)

In most job you are not constantly under strong pressure. Those where you are are a minority.

What I am trying to say is the following: the study does not prove what the article says it proves.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both introverted perception functions colour their perceptions with something from themselves. But I was talking in a general sense, concerning humans.
It could easily be extrapolated that I would be applying my idea of perception through Si and tarring a species with it. However I would say that that there is plenty of heuristic evidence supporting my observation.

For example Se could be considered the most literal 'objective' version of perception, but Se dominants are not all the same person, they are still individuals. Indeed they may share similar traits and interests but in themselves they are each different people. They would still experience their sensory information in their own way.

Besides, concerning Si everyone will use Si in some form or another, as supposedly a person will have access to all 8, just to differeing levels.

ps: So what made you mention Si?

Si is the easiest example because its symbolic representations are concrete, based in tangible impressions: the flag of a nation, the crucifixion of Christ, a bolt of lightning. The flag is not (just) a rectangle made of colored cloth, it is symbolic of national pride.

Se, as you unintentionally pointed out, would be the worst example because it seems so superficial to us non-Se types. Cake is cake, it is meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed or symbolized.