User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 50

  1. #1
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,668

    Default "I'm doing okay"

    When someone says "I'm doing okay" after being asked how they are doing, doesn't this mean that they are doing average or mediocre? Not good but not bad either, just okay. Like if you were doing good, you would say so, right? "I'm doing good"

  2. #2
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    10,070

    Default

    Yeah, I think for the most part. I guess sometimes you'd just say you were doing 'okay' even if you were doing amazing if you were with a friend who was having a hard time and you didn't want them to feel worse.

  3. #3
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yeah, I think for the most part. I guess sometimes you'd just say you were doing 'okay' even if you were doing amazing if you were with a friend who was having a hard time and you didn't want them to feel worse.
    What if you were doing amazing and your friend is NOT having a hard time, would you still just say "I'm doing okay?"

    I'm just wondering if there are people who would say this and not literally mean it.

  4. #4
    Liberator Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    20,323

    Default

    Sometimes it means:

    1. I know you aren't really interested, so I'm just providing a pro forma response for efficiency.

    2. The real answer is too involved to get into right now.

    3. How I am is none of your business.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #5
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    10,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    What if you were doing amazing and your friend is NOT having a hard time, would you still just say "I'm doing okay?"

    I'm just wondering if there are people who would say this and not literally mean it.
    It's also kind of like what @Coriolis said, it just depends on the person. I'm guessing there's someone you're worried about?

  6. #6
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It's also kind of like what @Coriolis said, it just depends on the person. I'm guessing there's someone you're worried about?
    Well... yeah. lol

    I asked, and she said "I'm doing okay" and then complained about her leg taking longer than she wanted to heal. It made me wonder if she was depressed or there was more.

  7. #7
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    10,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Well... yeah. lol

    I asked, and she said "I'm doing okay" and then complained about her leg taking longer than she wanted to heal. It made me wonder if she was depressed or there was more.
    It sounds like it's possible that it's getting her down. I'm sure you managed to cheer her up a bit.

  8. #8
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It sounds like it's possible that it's getting her down. I'm sure you managed to cheer her up a bit.
    I didn't because I thought it was something maybe like Coriolis said "none of your business". But now I'm realizing that I should have. *mad at myself*

  9. #9
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,733

    Default

    that's generally my response if I'm NOT doing ok... otherwise, I'll respond with "excellent!"

    I'm doing ok means that I feel like shit and don't want to talk about it
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett

  10. #10
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that's generally my response if I'm NOT doing ok... otherwise, I'll respond with "excellent!"

    I'm doing ok means that I feel like shit and don't want to talk about it
    Ackkkkkk... I was afraid of that.
    I'm so mad at myself.

Similar Threads

  1. [E9] Do you relate to this quote?
    By lue in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM
  2. [ISTJ] ISTJs (or all SJs) What do you think of these quotes?
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO