• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"I'm doing okay"

G

garbage

Ah, social scripts.

Regarding "the question": One perspective, valid in some cases and not in others, is that they're not actually asking that question. From that perspective, when a stranger asks "How are you?" they're simply communicating "hi"; and "I'm okay" is simply a reciprocation of what the person is really communicating.

Emphasis again: that's simply one perspective of many--it's less 'true' for friends than strangers, less 'true' for direct communicators, etc.

Emphasis again: "I'm okay" is one of many valid answers. Derailing the whole train is also fun :popc1:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, social scripts.

Regarding "the question": One perspective, valid in some cases and not in others, is that they're not actually asking that question. From that perspective, when a stranger asks "How are you?" they're simply communicating "hi"; and "I'm okay" is simply a reciprocation of what the person is really communicating.
But that is exactly my point. If what the other person really means is "Hi!", why don't they just say that? Why must the rest of us learn: "how are you?" = "hi" in Greetingspeak?

G

garbage

But that is exactly my point. If what the other person really means is "Hi!", why don't they just say that? Why must the rest of us learn: "how are you?" = "hi" in Greetingspeak?
Good news. You only "must" learn it to the extent that you must deal with those who only know Greetingspeek. Moreover, pure Greetingseek--layers and layers of bullshit--is on one end of a spectrum, and most don't hang out on that far end of the spectrum.

More good news. Communication is a two-way street, really. Someone who uses Greetingspeek with someone who doesn't? Well,
Who cares if they aren't, I tell them anyway whatever I am feeling...and if they don't want to hear it, next time they won't ask:D
they must learn to cut the crap and communicate more directly with FDG. :happy2:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If anyone is interested, I found out that she just meant that she was literally okay but she just wanted to talk more in general but didn't know what else to say so she added the other bit.

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find myself saying "I'm okay" whether I'm doing great or feeling lousy, just to keep them guessing.

You can't use "I'm okay" as a mask if it always means "I could be better", after all. ;)

People who know me know to ask more specifically, if they're really interested.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You can't use "I'm okay" as a mask if it always means "I could be better", after all. ;)

do you think there is some maximum level of doing? :huh: you see, even if you answer with "im doing really great never felt this good before", it doesent mean that you couldnt do even better

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do you think there is some maximum level of doing? :huh: you see, even if you answer with "im doing really great never felt this good before", it doesent mean that you couldnt do even better
Obviously. I meant in the colloquial sense of "I'm not feeling super swell", often with a hint of "ask me why".

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's my covert way of saying, "I'm feeling really shitty right now and would love it if you would comfort me or drown me in affection but I'm too proud or feel it's inappropriate in some way for me to tell you that".

Or something like that