• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Conscious Universe

E

Epiphany

The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena

Conscious_Universe_web_jpg_336x360_q85.jpg

This myth-shattering book explains the evidence for the veracity of psychic phenomena, uniting the teachings of mystics, the theories of quantum physics, and the latest in high-tech experiments. With painstaking research and deft, engaging prose, Radin dispels the misinformation and superstition that have clouded the understanding of scientists and laypeople alike concerning a host of fascinating oddities. Psychokinesis, remote viewing, prayer, jinxes, and more--all are real, all have been scientifically proven, and the proof is in this book.

Radin draws from his own work at Princeton, Stanford Research Institute, and Fortune 500 companies, as well as his research for the U.S. government, to demonstrate the surprising extent to which the truth of psi has already been tacitly acknowledged and exploited. The Conscious Universe also sifts the data for tantalizing hints of how mind and matter are linked. Finally, Radin takes a bold look ahead, to the inevitable social, economic, academic, and spiritual consequences of the mass realization that mind and matter can influence each other without having physical contact.

I've been reading this book recently and will periodically add passages that I find interesting to this thread.

Psi is a term from parapsychology derived from the Greek, ψ psi, 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet which denotes anomalous processes of information or energy transfer, processes such as telepathy or other forms of extrasensory perception that are currently unexplained in terms of known physical or biological mechanisms. The term is purely descriptive: It neither implies that such anomalous phenomena are paranormal nor connotes anything about their underlying mechanisms.

E

Epiphany

Remote viewing is a mental faculty that allows a person to describe or give details about a target that is inaccessible to normal senses due to distance or time.

Military and Intelligence Applications

...military historians had already documented the use of remote viewing during World War II. After the war, secret British army documents revealed that the wife of the head of the Royal Air Force - her husband was known as the "man who won the Battle of Britain" - was a "sensitive." She was credited with using remote viewing to locate enemy air bases that conventional methods had not detected. Another key military leader, the American general George S. Patton, believed that he was the reincarnation of a Roman general, and General Omar Bradley agreed that Patton seemed to possess a "sixth sense."

In the 1950's secret CIA-funded programs involving some psi research were code-named Projects Bluebird and Artichoke. In 1978 University of California psychologist Charles Tart surveyed fourteen psi research laboratories and found that five had been approached by government agencies interested in tracking their progress. During the Reagan administration, the House Science and Technology Subcommittee released a report containing a chapter on the "physics of consciousness." The report stated that psi research deserved Congress's attention because "general recognition of the degree of interconnectedness of minds could have far-reaching social and political implications for this nation and the world."

Why was this topic supported for two decades, under the watchful eyes of highly skeptical CIA and DIA contract monitors and a world-class scientific oversight committee? For one very simple reason: remote viewing works - sometimes. The "hit rate" for the military remote viewers was not wildly greater than the results observed in the clairvoyance experiments discussed in chapter 6, but when conventional investigation and intelligence techniques were at a loss to provide critical information on sensitive missions, sometimes remote viewing worked spectacularly.

For example, in September 1979 the National Security Council asked one of the most consistently accurate army remote viewers, a chief warrant officer named Joe McMoneagle, to "see" inside a large building somewhere in northern Russia. A spy-satellite photo had shown some suspicious heavy-construction activity around the building, which was about a hundred yards from a large body of water. But the National Security Council had no idea what was going on inside, and it wanted to know. Without showing McMoneagle the photo, and giving him only the map coordinates of the building, the officers in charge of the text asked for his impressions. McMoneagle described a cold location, with large buildings and smoke-stacks near a large body of water. This was roughly correct, so he was shown the spy photo and asked what was inside the building. McMoneagle sensed that the interior was a very large, noisy, active working area, full of scaffolding, girders, and blue flashes reminiscent of arc welding lights. In a later session, he sensed that a huge submarine was apparently under construction in one part of the building. But it was too big, much larger than any submarine that either the Americans or the Russians had. McMoneagle drew a sketch of what he "saw": a long, flat deck; strangely angled missile tubes with room for eighteen or twenty missiles; a new type of drive mechanism; and a double hull.

When these results were described to members of the National Security Council, they figured that McMoneagle must be wrong, because he would be describing the largest, strangest submarine in existence, and it was supposedly being constructed in a building a hundred yards from the water. Furthermore, other intelligence sources knew absolutely nothing about it. Still, because McMoneagle had gained a reputation for accuracy in previous tasks, they asked him to view the future to find out when this supposed submarine would be launched. McMoneagle scanned the future, month by month,"watching" the future construction via remote viewing, and sensed that about four months later the Russians would blast a channel from the building to the water and launch the sub. Sure enough, about four months later, in January 1980, spy-satellite photos showed that the largest submarine ever observed was travelling through an artificial channel from the building to the body of water. The pictures showed that it had twenty missile tubes and a large, flat deck. It was eventually named a Typhoon class submarine.

Scores of generals, admirals, and political leaders who had been briefed on psi results like this came away with the knowledge that remote viewing was real. This knowledge remained highly classified because remote viewing provided a strategic advantage for intelligence work. In addition, the agencies that had supported this research knew very well that the topic was politically and scientifically controversial. They had to deal witht the same "giggle factor" that has caused academic and industrial scientists to be careful about publicizing their interest in psi.

Scientists who had worked on these highly classified programs, including myself, were frustrated to know firsthand the reality of high-performance psi phenomena and yet we had no way of publicly responding to skeptics. Nothing could be said about the fact that the U.S. Army had supported a secret team of remote viewers, that those viewers had participated in hundreds of remote-viewing missions, and that the DIA, CIA, Customs Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, FBI, and Secret Service had all relied on the remote-viewing team for more than a decade, sometimes with startling results. Now, finally, the history of American and Soviet military and intelligence-sponsored psi research is emerging as participants come forward to document their experiences.

E

Epiphany

Does the author give any references to back up that story?

In the passage that I quoted so far, the author references these sources, though I didn't include footnotes in the quoted text so...make of it what you will.

6. Anderson and van Atta 1989; Ebon 1983; Levine, Fenyvesi, and Emerson 1988.
7. Mishlove 1993, 220.
8. Mishlove 1993, 223-24.
9. For a detailed description, see Schnabel 1997.
10. Defense Intelligence Agency
11. Schnabel 1997, 70-72; McMoneagle 1993.
12. Jack Anderson and Jan Moller columns, Washington Post, December 23, 30, 1996, and January 9, 1997.
13. For example, the Journal of Scientific Exploration (vol. 10, no. 1, 1996) contained several articles on the U.S. program.

E

Epiphany

I feel the need. The need...for speed.
Fighter Pilots

A related, but completely separate source of military interest in psi comes from jet fighter pilots. The complexity of modern weapons systems, severe mission requirements, and the ever-present danger of enemy fighter jets and missiles have forced the development of extremely fastidious criteria for selecting pilots. Unfortunately, in spite of rigorous selection procedures and training, not all fighter pilots are equally effective. It is estimated, for example, that about 5 percent of fighter pilots have accounted for about 40 perfect of the successful engagements with hostile aircraft (i.e., "kills") in every aerial combat since World War 1.

While opportunity plays a role in these percentages, substantial differences remain even after the "kill opportunity" is equalized. Jet pilots and aerospace engineers would like to understand what separates the "top guns" from the less-effective pilots. In 1991 researchers B.O. Hartman and G.E. Secrist published an article in a conventional aerospace medical journal with the euphemistic title, "Situational Awareness Is More Than Exceptional Vision." "Situational awareness" refers to a pilot's hypersensitivity to aircraft performance and ability to quickly anticipate and act upon changes during combat. In some instances, situational awareness surpasses hypersensensitive levels, and Hartman and Secrist compared this level of performance to psi perception. For example, combat pilot L. Forrester described superior situational awarentess as follows: "There is some sixth sense that a man acquires when he has peered often enough out of a [jet fighter cockpit] into a hostile sky - hunches that come to him, sudden and compelling, enabling him to read signs that others don't even see. Such a man can extract more from a faint tangle of condensation trails, or a distant flitting dot, than he has any reason or right to do."

Detective Work

When faced with long-standing unsolved crimes, police have occasionally turned to psychics for assistance. Well-documented cases of psychic detective work can be traced back to the early part of the twentieth century, and psychic detective work is still popular. Author Arthur Lyons and sociologist Marcello Truzzi from Easter Michigan University, who recently conducted a comprehensive evaluation of psychic detectives, report that some police detectives with exceptionally good crime-solving abilitites refer to their hunches as "the blue sense." Interestingly, one of the most accurate remote viweres ever to work on the CIA-sponsored psi research program at SRI Internatinal was a former police commissioner name Pat Price.

There are many fascinating enecdotes of cases in which psychics seemed to be instrumental in solving crimes, but any neutral observer will also acknowledge that - as with psychic spying and most other anecdotal cases - it is extremely difficult to reach any strong conclusions about individual cases. However, given the strength of the laboratory evidence for psi perception, and the evidence from dozens of successful cases of military remote viewing, it is very likely that some cases of psychic detective work actually are due to genuine psi.

Last edited:
I

Infinite Bubble

Looks like a very interesting book. Do you recommend it from the contents you have read so far?

E

Epiphany

Looks like a very interesting book. Do you recommend it from the contents you have read so far?

Definitely! I'm terrible at finishing books though. This is about the third time I've checked this one out from my library.

W

WALMART

Half of me wants to believe the zipper of reality isn't quite so hard set, that the increasing exponential fuzziness of the future doesn't collapse in the now, but perhaps across a hazy line. I would also like to believe that some of our minds are capable of probing those far troughs of uncertaininty, gleaning potentials unseen and funneling the never-real into physical certainty.

The other half thinks it's all a load of shit.

E

Epiphany

Half of me wants to believe the zipper of reality isn't quite so hard set, that the increasing exponential fuzziness of the future doesn't collapse in the now, but perhaps across a hazy line. I would also like to believe that some of our minds are capable of probing those far troughs of uncertaininty, gleaning potentials unseen and funneling the never-real into physical certainty.

The other half thinks it's all a load of shit.

A healthy dose of skepticism is reasonable. Unfortunately, as the author points out, the stigma attached to studying psi in the scientific community prevents many curious researchers from risking their reputation, credibility and funding to explore this phenomena, for fear of their work being labeled as pseudo-science. Such widespread close-mindedness inhibits possible breakthrough discoveries that could revolutionize our understanding of the human psyche.

W

WALMART

A healthy dose of skepticism is reasonable. Unfortunately, as the author points out in the book, the stigma attached to studying psi in the scientific community prevents many curious researchers from risking their reputation, credibility and funding to explore this phenomena, for fear of their work being labeled as pseudo-science. Such widespread closemindedness inhibits possible breakthrough discoveries that could revolutionize our understanding of the human psyche.

Luckily for you weirdos, I believe scientific progress will be made in the field via mechanical systems, such as quantum computing. I suppose we'll all have to wait to see what comes to fruition.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A healthy dose of skepticism is reasonable. Unfortunately, as the author points out, the stigma attached to studying psi in the scientific community prevents many curious researchers from risking their reputation, credibility and funding to explore this phenomena, for fear of their work being labeled as pseudo-science. Such widespread closemindedness inhibits possible breakthrough discoveries that could revolutionize our understanding of the human psyche.

The people who most need to read it won't. Or if they do, they'll spend all their energy trying to disprove it. :D But it's always heartening to see a good effort.

E

Epiphany

The people who most need to read it won't. Or if they do, they'll spend all their energy trying to disprove it. :D But it's always heartening to see a good effort.

It's true. Even if there was hard evidence that could be replicated consistently in a controlled environment, certain skeptics would not abandon their preconceived notions. I find that the most close-minded people tend to be atheists and extremely religious folk, ironically, because both have come to definitive conclusions about matters they can't be certain of.

Mole

Permabanned
Spooky

From the invention of the telegraph, (tele-graph: writing at a distance); and from the invention of the telephone (tele-phone: speaking at a distance; and the invention of the television (tele-vision: seeing at a distance), we have been fascinated by spooky actions at a distance.

And we are fascinated by the spookiest action at a distance of all, that is, entanglement in Quantum Mechanics.

And having no scientific education we look around to explain these spooky actions at a distance. And lo and behold, we find spooks.

Not knowing the scientific explanation we put it down to the ineffable and magical psi.

Last edited:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen this book around before when pursuing shelves or Amazon. I have a major exponentially growing bottleneck of books that are in my field of vision and will take 3 lifetimes to read but maybe this one can skip the line.

I'm all for anybody trying to describe these unseeable phenomenons that people experience. To me, any skepticism because of lack of scientific evidence is a big obstacle/drag on thinking about this stuff. Little to no scientific basis- it does not matter at all to me. We need to start viewing these things from the outside in, I think starting from small and evidence based standpoint is often inappropriate and irrelevant. The bottom line- people have these experiences-they are very real for a wide variety of people- and they are likely essential in describing major aspects of either the workings of the brain or the workings of the universe (or both) and it's important to investigate by any means- scientific, anecdotal whatever and I will end this run on sentence here. :jew:

Mole

Permabanned
I've seen this book around before when pursuing shelves or Amazon. I have a major exponentially growing bottleneck of books that are in my field of vision and will take 3 lifetimes to read but maybe this one can skip the line.

I'm all for anybody trying to describe these unseeable phenomenons that people experience. To me, any skepticism because of lack of scientific evidence is a big obstacle/drag on thinking about this stuff. Little to no scientific basis- it does not matter at all to me. We need to start viewing these things from the outside in, I think starting from small and evidence based standpoint is often inappropriate and irrelevant. The bottom line- people have these experiences-they are very real for a wide variety of people- and they are likely essential in describing major aspects of either the workings of the brain or the workings of the universe (or both) and it's important to investigate by any means- scientific, anecdotal whatever and I will end this run on sentence here. :jew:

"The Varieties of Religious Experience - a Study in Human Nature", by William James led to the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous.

William James found that religious experience in extreme distress had a beneficial effect, and so it was tried on the extreme distress of alcoholism with good effects. Today it is called, the Twelve Step Program of spiritual principles, famously used by Alcoholics Anonymous.

To meet William James click on - http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/wjames/varieties-rel-exp.pdf

E

Epiphany

Yes, you should pick this one up. The author discusses many scientific studies of psi/ESP and the results of those experiments vs the odds against chance. Some of the results highly support the case for legitimate psychic phenomena.

There was a documentary about the human brain on the history channel the other day. In addition to autistic savant syndrome, photographic memory and other extraordinary abilities, and disorders, they discussed psychic powers. A researcher was studying a notable psychic with a reputation for remarkable accuracy by introducing him to a complete stranger and analyzing his brain activity while he revealed facts about the person's life that he had no way of knowing otherwise. It was quite fascinating.

E

Epiphany

Show me the money!

In 1982 the St. Louis Business Journal tested how a psychic would fare against professional stockbrokers over a six-month period, and reported that the psychic, who had no formal training in stock market trading or analysis, outperformed eighteen of nineteen professional stockbrokers. During the testing period, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 8 percent, but the psychic's stocks went up 17 percent.

The use of psi to enhance decision making is not overlooked in the intensely pragmatic world of Wall Street. In 1985 a vice president of Shearson Lehman Brothers provided a good summary of how results-oriented business views psi. In a full-page article in the New York Times business section, Chester Rothman observed that "If a psychic can better grasp the rationalities of the world than a market analyst, he might well give better business advice. Successful entrepreneurs and investment analysts have confided to me that psi techniques, especially precognition, are beginning to play an increasingly important role on Wall Street. The driving force is that everyone now uses sophisticated computer models to help forecast which stocks to pick, so to maintain a slight edge in the accelerating world of stock trading, analysts and brokers need methods that outforecast the computers. Some brokers are successfully using psi to help nudge the computers' mathematical models, and the tiny forecasting advantages they gain are reportedly resulting in enormous profits. No wonder they've kept quiet about their interests!

E

Epiphany

Here is an informative presentation from the author, Dean Radin. One interesting point that he discusses regarding scientific and medical research is that small effects are still real. Telepathy experiments have an effect size five times greater than studies which indicate that aspirin can prevent heart attacks, yet the FDA considers that number significant enough to market aspirin as a preventative measure, while telepathy is regarded as non-existent.

Do telepathy, clairvoyance and other "psi" abilities exist? The majority of the general population believes that they do, and yet fewer than one percent of mainstream academic institutions have any faculty known for their interest in these frequently reported experiences. Why is a topic of enduring and widespread interest met with such resounding silence in academia? The answer is not due to a lack of scientific evidence, or even to a lack of scientific interest, but rather involves a taboo. I will discuss the nature of this taboo, some of the empirical evidence and critical responses, and speculate on the implications.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess I believe in telepathy but not precognition. I found the scans showing senders' and receivers' brains radiating effects at the same time compelling. And what I feel to be true as well.

E

Epiphany

I guess I believe in telepathy but not precognition. I found the scans showing senders' and receivers' brains radiating effects at the same time compelling. And what I feel to be true as well.

I've read enough compelling information to consider the possibility that both exist. As the speaker mentioned, even skeptical researchers who worked on some of these studies admit that something unexplained is happening, though they refuse to consider the possibility of psi due to their own biases, which is frightfully non-objective since they are supposed to approach experiments without prejudice in an attempt to discover scientific truth; not to merely reinforce their pre-existing concepts.