• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music for Beginners

Mole

Permabanned
In the choir they told me to open my mouth but not to sing, and sister Agnes at piano practice rapped my knuckles with a thin stick if I made a mistake. But ... the University of Canberra is starting a new course Music for Beginners. Dare I venture back?

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How 'bout spelling for beginners.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I didn't see any spelling mistakes in Victor's post.

I think you should do it. I have been thinking about getting myself an autoharp and learning to play. Easy and satisfying and I can pretend to be June Cash.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, Victor. You should take that class.
Then take guitar or piano lessons, so you really know.

KDude

Definitely. Instead of "wounds", you'll find music to be therapeutic. No matter what your skill.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do it. Don't let past wounds hold you back.
Absolutely. Better to be held back by a realistic assessment of your likely skill in that area, as evidenced by an apparent track record of failure and disappointment.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I might be in the minority on this, but I don't think having skill is a prerequisite for playing music. Maybe it's a prerequisite for having other people want to listen to you play music. Probably, it usually is. But playing music is so therapeutic I think everyone should do it. Too often we stop doing things because we think we aren't good enough at it- if it gives you joy, being good at it is optional, IMO.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having no skill or ability at something can be frustrating, all the more if it is something you want to do. After all, if I have no interest in something (assuming it is not a necessary life skill), I won't care how good I am at it. There are too many possibilities in the world for us to put up with needless frustration.

That being said, there is more than one way to experience something. We can enjoy music as a listener rather than a performer; or just find a different instrument; or learn to dance.

G

garbage

I also agree with.. all three posts above mine. Sometimes, it's difficult to convince yourself that it's "never too late."

I also have a hard time convincing myself to do anything for its own sake. If there's no goal/end in mind, it's difficult for me to take on. (I realize that "doing it for its own sake" is a goal, but it's difficult to see it as such.)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You don't have to worry about being good at music. Just do it and see what happens.
Think of music as a metaphor, which you allow to influence all of your creative activities.

KDude

I've been playing (mostly guitars) for over 22 years now. That's more than half of my life. I have some skill, but I'm not Segovia or anything. I'm OK, but I'd consider myself a rhythm player. 3 chord rock, basically. Music isn't a competition (with yourself or anyone else). It's about discovery.. music is like molding clay. As long as you have some basic skill down (much like one gets acquainted with different techniques in sculpture), then you're set. It's about playing with that toolkit, playing with notes and chord shapes and timing, and enjoying what you discover in the moment. There is no goal. The goal is something you just happen to fall upon.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, take the class. It will do you good.