• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help with clinical depression (done, thx)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi, I'm declining into clinical depression as of right now. I'm philosophical enough to avoid most of the problems associated with low mood. Yet, some remain.

What to do with lethargy?
Low motivation?
Tiredness?
Altered sleep cycle?

Good part - I *DO* feel I'm up to the task of doing all my duties next week. Something might change though.

Any medication that can't be used with alcohol is out of the question. I use alcohol regularly, 2 or 3 units per day and I'm not looking forward to stop the practice.

Last edited:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Or, don't help. Perhaps I can overcome this. I'm going for a walk.
Edit: feel free to write ideas pertaining to depression while I'm away, especially regarding methods that don't involve drugs.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You've tried all the standard stuff I assume? Is it being caused by something currently beyond your ability to change?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
:dry:
Hi, I'm declining into clinical depression as of right now. I'm philosophical enough to avoid most of the problems associated with low mood. Yet, some remain.

What to do with lethargy?
Low motivation?
Tiredness?
Altered sleep cycle?

Good part - I *DO* feel I'm up to the task of doing all my duties next week. Something might change though.

Any medication that can't be used with alcohol is out of the question. I use alcohol regularly, 2 or 3 units per day and I'm not looking forward to stop the practice.

................... . . . ..............

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:doh: You're posting on a forum, not a chat room, people don't reply instantly.

Also, clinical depression is something a doctor needs to diagnose. (I know, ENTJs are all doctors, and astronauts, and philosophical and logical geniuses above their mere human college-educated brethren, but hear me out.) Depression is a very real thing though, regardless of if diagnosed. Not having motivation for things like laundry, personal hygiene, tasks you enjoy or are typically important to you, etc. is a classic sign of it.

A doctor really ought to be seeing you regarding the matter, if at all possible. A therapist is also highly recommended if you plan on treating this without drugs involved. Depression is a pretty vicious cycle, and it can cut off many of your usual outlets of relief--doing tasks you enjoy, having a sense of self worth, motivation, etc. Exercise (especially group fitness, as the group can help motivate you to continue attending), keeping up with household chores and personal hygiene, eating very healthy, and not partaking in any mind-altering substances (like drugs and alcohol) are all pretty important staples in treating depression without the use of prescriptions, but treating it further outside of that would typically require a professional of some sort.

I suppose if you cannot afford or have a way to seeing a professional you ought to make that your top priority in life--depression can rip apart other aspirations or goals in your life, so helping yourself overcome it needs to be in the foreground and not pushed aside.

If at all possible, try to implement a strict schedule to your lifestyle--you MUST be in bed by a certain time, and (more importantly) you MUST wake up at a certain time. Chores ought to be done at this time, you get the idea. Taking naps, sleeping when you want, waking when you feel like it just encourages the I-dont-give-a-fuck side of depression. Playing into it isn't going to help it. Instead, try to aim the I-dont-give-a-fuck to the aspects that are hurting you more--feeling lethargic? Oh well, Im working out anyways. Feeling tired? Oh well, I'll sleep tonight at the scheduled time. Depression takes years sometimes to overcome, and it's a long haul journey, especially if you are diagnosed as clinically depressed.

It really must become your top priority, with no cheat days or 'sleep in days' or 'eat whatever I want' days, etc. It isn't a game or a diet or a temporary fix, it is a permanent adjustment to a potentially life-long condition if not treated.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
If you have a diagnosed mood disorder, you need to be talking to a professional about it. A therapist, a psychologist, or a psychiatrist. Relying on strangers and amateurs on the internet for clinical depression isn't a wise move. No one here is qualified to help you.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
You beat me to it, Patches.

And yes, find professional help. Most of the people here are depressed and or crazy. Obviously they show up here like that already; however, they don't leave here being "fixed" either. In fact, it's probably closer to the the opposite really.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
@Santtu - Be aware that none of us are trying to turn you down. It's just that there is absolutely no substitute for seeing a professional for help. We're all here to listen if you want to vent or get something off your chest, but we can't do anything to actually fix depression.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
@Santtu - Be aware that none of us are trying to turn you down. It's just that there is absolutely no substitute for seeing a professional for help. We're all here to listen if you want to vent or get something off your chest, but we can't do anything to actually fix depression.

Isn't this obvious?

bedeviled1

If you have a diagnosed mood disorder, you need to be talking to a professional about it. A therapist, a psychologist, or a psychiatrist. Relying on strangers and amateurs on the internet for clinical depression isn't a wise move. No one here is qualified to help you.

From personal experience I. Definately agree. Talk to someone if its only a counsellor. I tried for years. WTF for? Pride ,stubborness, fear , I don't know. But I could have saved a lot of pain if I had got help sooner. Good luck!

Jaguar

Hi, I'm declining into clinical depression as of right now.

You're 'declining into clinical depression' while ingesting a known depressant. Brilliant. Your neurotransmitters will be thrilled.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
You're 'declining into clinical depression' while ingesting a known depressant. Brilliant. Your neurotransmitters will be thrilled.

This was my thought as well. I would say "give up drinking" as an obvious start, but he already dismissed that possibility.

You beat me to it, Patches.

And yes, find professional help. Most of the people here are depressed and or crazy. Obviously they show up here like that already; however, they don't leave here being "fixed" either. In fact, it's probably closer to the the opposite really.

:rofl1:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Listen to Patches, [MENTION=988]Santtu[/MENTION].

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, for starters, this needs to stop. This is not helpful and if you're not willing to do this then you're dead in the water.

Secondly, you need to see a professional and if they do prescribe them to you, you need to take the med's they give you and follow his instructions. The fact of the matter is is that you have to WANT to get better better, and somehow I suspect you're really not interested in that at this time

bedeviled1

Dude. I know how hard it is to say anything about it. It makes it easier to post on the net to strangers. you can get help and it sounds to me like you want it. talk to someone in person about your problems. This is a start but your gonna have to do it. Keep us posted!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Sounds hard not to be non-clinically depressed in winter in Finland...