• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eternal Sunshine?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would you erase your painful memories?
Why or why not?
What do you think the long-term consequences are likely to be (for individuals as well as for society)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012lj4m

If you can't reach the site, here's a summary:
Captivated by the media headlines over the past few years claiming scientists can now 'erase bad memories', neuroscientist Dr Mark Lythgoe travels to New York to examine the latest research in memory modification.

Looking at work done in animals and humans Mark discovers how close scientists are to wholesale erasure of specific memories.

'We had that animal very well trained and then we erased that memory by injecting Zip in the motor region of the cortex, the memory was gone and the relearning process was not any quicker- it still took a week of slow learning to build that skill so that's why we think it really is a true erasure': Dr Todd Sacktor.

Near the site of Ground Zero he meets some of the people who have been victims of trauma to find out whether they would trade their distressing memories for memory erasure, and he talks to a victim of a violent armed robbery who believes memory manipulation has cured him of his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Unravelling the ethical dilemmas involved in these technologies Mark asks what happens when we open this Pandora's box and people use memory modification to erase feelings of something bad they have done or something bad that has been done to them; eliminating memories like you would eliminate a headache, with a pill.

'I think the chances that eventually we will have a drug that will be able to reduce the emotional component of traumatic memories, I think there's a good chance that's going to happen sooner or later' Dr Roger Pitman.
And a more in depth article.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...w-todd-sacktors-search-for-the-memory-enzyme/

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Without question. And in spite of believing it to be cowardly and perhaps even unethical.

A

Anew Leaf

Hmm, I remember thinking about this after I watched the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

Would you erase your painful memories?

There are things in my past that are extremely tempting to erase. However, I would not. One reason is that the good and bad and painful and beautiful of my life have created me into the person I am today. Where is my triumph in overcoming certain things without knowing what I triumphed over? A second reason is that doing this would be that the damage would still be there, but I would no longer know why.

What do you think the long-term consequences are likely to be (for individuals as well as for society)?

Hmm, this is interesting. I have sympathy for people who would want to use this in order to erase things like: getting raped, seeing someone murdered, etc. But is the consequence a furthering of a society in which escapism/fantasy is all too easy to achieve? That would be my concern.

I say all of this this fully aware that the worst of what has happened to me, while earth shatting for my life, is not earth shattering for the human race.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Without question. And in spite of believing it to be cowardly and perhaps even unethical.

What would you erase? Why?

What if what you've gone through could help someone else? Maybe you have a unique perspective no one else has. What if someone like you had helped you ?

metalmommy

so ready
No. I wouldn't be who I am without walking the path I did to get here. There is pride and satisfaction of triumph over the bad things. I more fully appreciate the good things. Additionally, I appreciate that there can be negative consequences to my actions. It's part of the learning process.

I think it's dangerous to just wipe out the bad things. What becomes of the good things if there is no bad? How would people cope with the bad things that happen in the future? They would have no coping skills if there is no memory of the bad.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where is my triumph in overcoming certain things without knowing what I triumphed over?
What's so great about triumph?
A second reason is that doing this would be that the damage would still be there, but I would no longer know why.
How do you know it would still be there?
But is the consequence a furthering of a society in which escapism/fantasy is all too easy to achieve?
What's wrong with escapism? What's wrong with it being easy?

AphroditeGoneAwry said:
What if what you've gone through could help someone else? Maybe you have a unique perspective no one else has. What if someone like you had helped you ?
Why wouldn't they just choose to do the same thing? Having suffered something doesn't automatically make someone able to help others. Sometimes it makes them less able.

They would have no coping skills if there is no memory of the bad.
Is that a good reason to suffer? Maybe they'd have less need of them.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No, I would not. We understand so poorly how the mind works that I would not trust any such procedure.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I would not. We understand so poorly how the mind works that I would not trust any such procedure.

Actually, I wouldn't either (it's a drug, rather than a procedure). But let's say, hypothetically, there were no unfavourable side-effects...?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why wouldn't they just choose to do the same thing? Having suffered something doesn't automatically make someone able to help others. Sometimes it makes them less able.

I meant more for the during and after.

But you could be proactive too, in a variety of ways (tho I'm not knowing what it is you are referring to which is your most painful memories, if you use your imagination, I'm sure they are ways you can become part of the solution, so to speak. Or help prevent via some way some how the same thing you experienced)

Regarding the during and after: Just knowing how someone feels is huge. And seems to be one of the most comforting things for people when they are suffering/struggling. Being honest about how it feels--in the gamut of possibly ugly, embarrassing, shameful, vile things--is very validating. Because many who suffer have never been validated ever, and are in a place of feeling completely isolated in their feelings. Another powerful way of helping is that you are on the other side!! And they see that if you can do/go through what you have and still become a survivor and thrivor, then there is hope. And we know how important hope is. So, it's not that you need to anything heroic even, it's just being honest and showing others you CAN have a life of integrity even if you've gone through or done heinous things that you would rather not remember.....

Then there is always the more active listening/counseling/ministering if one feels called to such. There are no end to ways a survivor can help a victim. Anything painful enough you want to erase from your memory can be used to help someone else. And it's been said by other victims who have gone on to use their painful experiences to help others, that the end benefits to their lives in this new ability to sympathize/empathize/minister far surpasses any detriment they received or incurred in the thing itself.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would. There are certain memories that I think make me weaker rather than stronger despite overcoming them. Grudges, anxieties rooted in things that other people had done. There things I think should be let go of. Other painful memories I might keep.

For instance I might not erase all of a bad relationship but just certain things he said that pop up now when I trying to interact with new people

gromit

likes this
Hm. Fortunately I haven't experienced any excessive trauma (such as living through a war or witnessing a murder or anything like that). My painful memories are related to breakups or grief after death. These are sad to contemplate, but actually the pain is fading with time. So for me I don't see the need to erase anything.

However, I certainly wouldn't fault someone who wanted to erase the memory of a painful experience, since I'm sure other people have lived through sooo much worse.

metalmommy

so ready
Is that a good reason to suffer? Maybe they'd have less need of them.

Perhaps I'm coming from the perspective that suffering is inevitable. I would guess that if one could eliminate unpleasant memories at will, thus not developing strong coping skills, people would experience greater suffering over lesser experiences. They would lack perspective. Life is not a purely positive experience. How much could a person "delete" and still retain their humanity?

That being said, this is coming from my perspective of the human experience where I don't have the option of chemically deleting past memories/experiences. It doesn't work with how I know to be and how I've coped with my own suffering. I guess it's because I've worked hard to make something positive out of what I've suffered and I'm proud of what I've become in spite of what I've experienced. My opinion is based partially on my desire for that to mean something. If I could just get rid of it, perhaps I'm an idiot for not.

Additionally, I value hard work, doing what needs to be done despite how you feel about it, etc. I perceive it as strength, which I value highly, and the ability to conquer the emotional in favor of the rational. However, I realize this is purely my value system, which is not everyone's.

This technology would completely rock my value system, which is naturally objectionable to me, at least from surface evaluation. I'd have to think more about it to determine if this would truly be worth changing my perception of what humanity entails.

In short, and superficially, I see it as weak. But I've thus far conquered my suffering. When faced with suffering I couldn't conquer, my opinion might change. I might want the option to spare myself extreme suffering.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I meant more for the during and after.

But you could be proactive too, in a variety of ways (tho I'm not knowing what it is you are referring to which is your most painful memories, if you use your imagination, I'm sure they are ways you can become part of the solution, so to speak. Or help prevent via some way some how the same thing you experienced)

Regarding the during and after: Just knowing how someone feels is huge. And seems to be one of the most comforting things for people when they are suffering/struggling. Being honest about how it feels--in the gamut of possibly ugly, embarrassing, shameful, vile things--is very validating. Because many who suffer have never been validated ever, and are in a place of feeling completely isolated in their feelings. Another powerful way of helping is that you are on the other side!! And they see that if you can do/go through what you have and still become a survivor and thrivor, then there is hope. And we know how important hope is. So, it's not that you need to anything heroic even, it's just being honest and showing others you CAN have a life of integrity even if you've gone through or done heinous things that you would rather not remember.....

Then there is always the more active listening/counseling/ministering if one feels called to such. There are no end to ways a survivor can help a victim. Anything painful enough you want to erase from your memory can be used to help someone else. And it's been said by other victims who have gone on to use their painful experiences to help others, that the end benefits to their lives in this new ability to sympathize/empathize/minister far surpasses any detriment they received or incurred in the thing itself.
I'm not that nice a person. I don't care if it would make me less helpful to anyone else. Seriously, not important to me.
I would never demand that anyone else go through something traumatic for my benefit, far less hang on to that memory so they can be more empathic. Shit, how selfish would that be?
I'd rather everyone took responsibility for their own emotional and mental well-being.
Perhaps I'm coming from the perspective that suffering is inevitable.
Currently it is. This presents a paradigm where it might be less so.
I would guess that if one could eliminate unpleasant memories at will, thus not developing strong coping skills, people would experience greater suffering over lesser experiences. They would lack perspective. Life is not a purely positive experience. How much could a person "delete" and still retain their humanity?
You cope while you are enduring something. I don't see how painful memories make coping easier. Surely only joyful ones can do that?

Additionally, I value hard work, doing what needs to be done despite how you feel about it, etc. I perceive it as strength, which I value highly, and the ability to conquer the emotional in favor of the rational. However, I realize this is purely my value system, which is not everyone's.
There is something of the martyr about some of these sentiments. There are people who seem to enjoy suffering "on behalf of others".

In short, and superficially, I see it as weak. But I've thus far conquered my suffering. When faced with suffering I couldn't conquer, my opinion might change. I might want the option to spare myself extreme suffering.
Why is it any weaker than trying to completely remove a physical scar, say? Presumably you don't think we should walk around with unset broken bones just because "shit happens"?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not that nice a person. I don't care if it would make me less helpful to anyone else. Seriously, not important to me.
I would never demand that anyone else go through something traumatic for my benefit, far less hang on to that memory so they can be more empathic. Shit, how selfish would that be?
I'd rather everyone took responsibility for their own emotional and mental well-being.
Currently it is. This presents a paradigm where it might be less so.
You cope while you are enduring something. I don't see how painful memories make coping easier. Surely only joyful ones can do that?

There is something of the martyr about some of these sentiments. There are people who seem to enjoy suffering "on behalf of others".

Why is it any weaker than trying to completely remove a physical scar, say? Presumably you don't think we should walk around with unset broken bones just because "shit happens"?

Oh, I'm pretty sure you are either misunderstanding me or misquoting me.

But I have double church now, so I have to run.

Ciao!

~A

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would. There are certain memories that I think make me weaker rather than stronger despite overcoming them. Grudges, anxieties rooted in things that other people had done. There things I think should be let go of. Other painful memories I might keep.

For instance I might not erase all of a bad relationship but just certain things he said that pop up now when I trying to interact with new people
This is what I think. There are people I would dearly love to erase from my life and never have to think about again, because they are a waste of brain cycles, and I resent the brain cycles I have already wasted trying to understand why assholes exist.
There are other losses that are painful (bereavements, say) that I would keep, in honour of the memory of that person and the love I still have for them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are lots of reasons I wouldn't (they've already been listed by various people), but the bottom line for me is more that I wouldn't erase them because they actually happened. I will work to change the outcome of events in my life, but I simply feel as if I'm lying if I pretend something didn't happen / eradicate it from my mind forever. I'd likely feel this way even if we could erase the memory from everyone's mind so that no one could remember it and I'd be the only one to recall if if my memory wasn't erased; I'd still feel like I was disregarding the truth of what actually occurred.

Eternal Sunshine was a great movie, btw.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does that mean when you don't know about something that happened you're lying to yourself?
You can't know everything. What's wrong with being the editor of your own story?

I'd even remove pleasurable memories, just so I could experience something again - for the "first" time.
Brain-hacking. So many possibilities...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I still wouldn't do it because judgment is a function of memory and I wouldn't want to presume that the erasure of any specific memory would affect my judgment positively (or not at all) just because it's one that's painful to me. Of course, I haven't had to endure too much suffering or trauma in my time, so maybe my opinion would be different if I had. As of now, though, I think I'm too greedy to give up anything that may play a part in how I evaluate the world, which is a faculty I prize in its current state and hope to build on with the accumulation of more experiences, negative and positive.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps I'm coming from the perspective that suffering is inevitable. I would guess that if one could eliminate unpleasant memories at will, thus not developing strong coping skills, people would experience greater suffering over lesser experiences. They would lack perspective. Life is not a purely positive experience. How much could a person "delete" and still retain their humanity?

This^.

Part of me wants to say hell yes, that I would absolutely erase some memories if I could. I realize it’s sorta like doing liposuction- getting rid of fat the easy way, which doesn’t get rid of the problem that led to there being too much fat in the first place. It’s only a temporary solution and the faulty coping mechanisms which ultimately led to the distress I’d like to forget will only create more of the same painful results, so really it wouldn’t get rid of anything in the long run so much as putting that pain on hold for a later date.

Even in cases where there is trauma to some extraordinary event- like people in service coming home with PTSD. That can actually be an opportunity to tap into extraordinary strength- not just for those individuals, but collectively- taking the longer route of figuring out how to heal would help us understand what we need to know to be more resilient to trauma in the first place. It’s like the difference between using a back support brace when lifting heavy things and doing specific exercises to make the back strong enough to be able to take on those heavier tasks without risk of injury: the former (using the back support brace) makes us dependent on something external, which I’m averse to because there’s always the risk of someone exploiting that dependence. Where and when people have it within themselves to tap into strength which gives them independence, I think it’s the best path.

The only reason I’d be tempted to erase memories is that- unlike physical therapy to make muscles stronger, which is very tangible and there isn’t much wiggle room about what is effective and what isn’t- common ‘professional mental health’ at present is still a relatively new field of study. Psychotherapy is just over 100 years old. As it is, the ‘treatment’ most people get when they seek help for feelings of distress isn’t much better than analgesic anyway (pain relief, without addressing the source)- so if I were so sick of the distress I couldn’t stand it anymore (and analgesic was the only option presented to me) then the ‘most effective’ analgesic would probably be very appealing.

But in the long run, I very much agree with what metalmommy wrote- coping mechanisms overall would atrophy and sooner or later people would be needing to ‘forget’ the painful experience of the hangnail they had that morning, or the unpleasant experience of testing a cologne they really didn’t like at the department store and they had to wait a whole half hour before they got home to wash the scent off.