• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Insults and the Belonging of the Worthless

Little_Sticks

Alright, since Aesthete is taking this in a more honest direction,

Belonging means I respect someone enough to want to be with or apart of them. They should be good for me and I for them. I then insult when I've been harmed and the other person doesn't recognize it or doesn't care. And when that happens I don't need to belong, nor do I care. They don't deserve to belong with me.

Little_Sticks

Funny. I don't find it surprising at all

Most reasonable people would use that disparity to reevaluate their perception.

Most reasonable people also don't proclaim ignorance is excuse worthy.

Classy. She was rebutting me, so you bit her as well.

Are you catching on yet?

Haha, she labeled me as insulting. That's insulting. You catching on yet?

Little_Sticks

Well this should be fun. I don't have to be anywhere. That's it Jennifer, let it all out. You got my attention today.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Greetings, Socrates.
Yeah, I see you've got it all figured out. Yeah, I'm just shaking in my boots crying oceans of tears. You're such a pro crystal ball mind-reader, I bet you don't even need the crystal ball.
Nice projection, Silky; not everyone is as weak as you to let a little periodic turmoil ruin a whole day. Nice try though. Come again.

You're pretty irony-impaired, my friend. You also seem to know me remarkably well. Congrats!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well this should be fun. I don't have to be anywhere. That's it Jennifer, let it all out. You got my attention today.

Uh... I did let it all out. That's what I think about what you've said.

You seem to use language for very different purposes than I'm using it.

----

And to tie this back into the thread topic... I suppose we are still trying to decide whether this thread blows Victor's idea out of the water (i.e., sometimes an insult is just an insult), or is this an attempt by one person to drag another down to the level they feel that they've been relegated to?

Little_Sticks

You're pretty irony-impaired, my friend. You also seem to know me remarkably well. Congrats!

Funny, there seems to be an echo to my post. Well, you know what they say, my friend, imitation is a form flattery. You're flattering.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh. Just saw this. I was on my cell earlier.

Most reasonable people also don't proclaim ignorance is excuse worthy.

That's why I challenged your ignorance in the political thread. If you're going to come into a conversation with belligerent cynicism, then I'm going to push on you. I was hoping there would be something in there to support the comments you were making, but... no.

Apparently you didn't like that?

Haha, she labeled me as insulting. That's insulting. You catching on yet?

I think calling someone publicly a cunt and a piece of shit in a conversation they weren't even part of to be pretty insulting, yes. That's not relational rocket science.

Little_Sticks

Uh... I did let it all out. That's what I think about what you've said.

You seem to use language for very different purposes than I'm using it.

Nice move, an unexpected twist from pejorative to neutral. Well, alright then. Looks like I'm still forming my next move then.

----

And to tie this back into the thread topic... I suppose we are still trying to decide whether this thread blows Victor's idea out of the water (i.e., sometimes an insult is just an insult), or is this an attempt by one person to drag another down to the level they feel that they've been relegated to?

You just gave me a great thread idea. Do people who think others are trying to drag them down actually have a certain kind of moral (or otherwise) superiority complex? Do they use it to invalid the thoughts and experiences of other people or is it really true? How can you know?

Alright, it's your move now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice move, an unexpected twist from pejorative to neutral. Well, alright then. Looks like I'm still forming my next move then.

I don't think you get this.

Stop reading me as if I were you.

Neutral is my typical approach. At times I get pissed and can zing someone, but I typically go back to neutral. I'm not a "hose down the yard with a full clip" kind of person. So don't expect that from me. You're lucky I'm engaging you at all, my other standard strategy is just to ignore people who I feel I can't communicate with, because what's the point?

You just gave me a great thread idea. Do people who think others are trying to drag them down actually have a certain kind of moral superiority complex? Do they use it to invalid other people or is it really true? How can you know?

Alright, it's your move now.

You're the only one who is playing a game here. I'm really serious, this is the Insult thread. I'm kind of irked we're both derailing it. I'm tying it back to the purpose of the thread -- I think it's a HUGE irony that we're having this argument here. What does Victor think about this? Does he still think this supports his idea or not? Sorry if your brain does not work this way, but MINE does.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kinda seems like one person using the thread topic as an excuse to air their dirty laundry, and then have a fuck-the-system, I-can-name-call-if-I-want, how-dare-you-tell-me-what-to-do forum meltdown.

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION]: I'd recommend stepping away from this and letting it be. LS can't bait people if there's no one to bait.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but I'll edit this post with a response to the actual topic, once I've gotten through it.

Edit:
I agree with the OP about certain types of insults, but not all. From my experience, unless you're in a REALLY fucked-up community, people don't use the sorts of insults that make you internalize your worthlessness, as a way to bring community members together. But I do agree with [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] that your insults can project your own insecurities onto others. A mother could have an eating disorder, insult her daughter's normal figure by calling her ugly/fat/etc, and give her daughter all of her issues that way. Same with unhealthy friendships/relationships. But I can't think of any instances of the OP with healthy communities or healthy relationships -- unless the insults are so casual that they are made meaningless. No matter how much my foul-mouthed friends say "fuck you" to me, I'm never going to think they actually dislike me, because I know them, I know their slang, I know how to read their intentions.

Reading [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]'s later posts, I'm wondering if he's trying to imply that all "tribes" are based around insults? I'm not really seeing that, but I'm curious as to how that would work... and how a tribe NOT based on insults would work.
many insults are an effort to lower someone you believe is superior then yourself.
Exactly.

Little_Sticks

Oh. Just saw this. I was on my cell earlier.

That's why I challenged your ignorance in the political thread. If you're going to come into a conversation with belligerent cynicism, then I'm going to push on you. I was hoping there would be something in there to support the comments you were making, but... no.

Apparently you didn't like that?

And that's why it pisses me off. Belligerent cynicism? (Nice insult by the way) I didn't even know I was coming off that way to you. And I certainly was not motivated by that or trying to be that way. I would have conceded anything you would have provided to show I was being ignorant (and I did before I realized you weren't even listening to me), but it's so hard to talk about anything when the first reaction people have is to deny that I know anything at all and then create some idea of my motivations. I can be over-zealous when I'm concerned, especially if people won't listen; perhaps then, if I'm to be misreading you, you can misread me.

I don't know why this is such a hard thing for people communicate without making things into a competition. That's not what I want, but I'm done. Guard's up and it's staying that way.

I think calling someone publicly a cunt and a piece of shit in a conversation they weren't even part of to be pretty insulting, yes. That's not relational rocket science.

I didn't even call you a cunt. I used the word IF. Now unless that means you admit to liking to provoke people as you encourage provocative ideas that provoke people, then yeah, you could say I was, but it still doesn't make it an insult because I'm telling you what I consider a cunt and using it that way. You guys and yours words man, it's the meaning intended behind them that matters, not some vague label of "insult".

And same thing for "piece of shit". Telling someone they freaked out is pretty insulting and I you got how I felt about you for that, but since we're only going by Queen Ivy's declarations, I guess you're off the hook.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every once in a while, a typoc member wakes up and realizes that it is a good day to get a free ban.

It's kind of cute, if you think about it.

Little_Sticks

Kinda seems like one person using the thread topic as an excuse to air their dirty laundry, and then have a fuck-the-system, I-can-name-call-if-I-want, how-dare-you-tell-me-what-to-do forum meltdown.

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION]: I'd recommend stepping away from this and letting it be. LS can't bait people if there's no one to bait.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but I'll edit this post with a response to the actual topic, once I've gotten through it.

Greetings, friend. So nice of you to use condescension and insults and share your pathetically uninformed and incorrect opinion of my intentions and motivations. Bad for bad, fire for fire, pain for pain, blood for blood. Two negatives don't always make a positive. Talk what you preach brother and it'll have more of an impact.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Greetings, friend. So nice of you to use condescension and insults and share your pathetically uninformed and incorrect opinion of my intentions and motivations. Bad for bad, fire for fire, pain for pain, blood for blood. Two negatives don't always make a positive. Talk what you preach brother and it'll have more of an impact.
Try as you might, you cannot get me to engage you.

This will be the last time I respond to one of your posts, until you start addressing the topic at hand.

Little_Sticks

Every once in a while, a typoc member wakes up and realizes that it is a good day to get a free ban.

It's kind of cute, if you think about it.

It's cute how all these people who know nothing about me and I've never even chatted with before suddenly have an opinion about my person. That's pretty cute too, if you think about it.

Little_Sticks

Try as you might, you cannot get me to engage you.

Well, that's too bad because it already happened.

This will be the last time I respond to one of your posts, until you start addressing the topic at hand.

Funny how you are all holier than thou off-topic, one minute, and now telling me I should address the topic. Well, I did pal, and if you haven't said anything before topic-related, looks like you're the black sheep here and not me. Nice try though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And that's why it pisses me off. Belligerent cynicism? (Nice insult by the way)

Case in point. That was not meant as an insult. It's how I perceived you. Certainly you have claimed to perceive me in some very negative ways; should I take your perception of me as such as insulting? Or just insulting in how you have chosen to interact with me?

IOW, just take it as, "If Jenny gave me indirect shit in the political thread, then maybe she was perceiving some really negative things underlying my approach. Kind of like how I'm feeling insulted by her approach."

I didn't even know I was coming off that way to you. And I certainly was not motivated by that or trying to be that way. I would have conceded anything you would have provided to show I was being ignorant (and I did before I realized you weren't even listening to me),

I did listen more than you seemed to have picked up, but maybe that did not come across. I thought it had. Sorry.

As I've stated in other political discussion over time, I'm more of a centrist who ended up support democrats in the last few years, and I'm really tired of the kind of cynical attitudes I've heard off Fox News and all that kind of shit. When someone approaches a conversation with a similar negativity, my first response can be, "Oh, god, not THIS again." Sorry my recall is off, so I no longer remember the details of that conversation, but I felt as if you had come into that conversation with an already-determined view and were just fishing for information to support it, while pretending to ask questions. So my response at core was negative; that happens to be one of my pet values.

but it's so hard to talk about anything when the first reaction people have is to deny that I know anything at all and then create some idea of my motivations. I can be over-zealous when I'm concerned, especially if people won't listen; perhaps then, if I'm to be misreading you, you can misread me.

It sounds like I did. I'm sorry if I did. I get stressed during political season anyway.

I don't know why this is such a hard thing for people communicate without making things into a competition. That's not what I want, but I'm done. Guard's up and it's staying that way.

You don't need to let your guard down, but I appreciate you explaining

I didn't even call you a cunt. I used the word IF.

I will concede that point; but to me, that's just how people play the game and everyone really knows what is being said. I've seen it time and again on the forum -- someone who just adheres to the letter of the rule to escape discipline, while meanwhile obviously still saying what they think of the other person.

Now unless that means you admit to liking to provoke people as you encourage provocative ideas that provoke people, then yeah, you could say I was, but it still doesn't make it an insult because I'm telling you what I consider a cunt and using it that way. You guys and yours words man, it's the meaning intended behind them that matters, not some vague label of "insult".

Step back and look at it big picture for a moment... was there any reason to drag the word "cunt" into that discussion AT ALL? Aside from you being pissed and thinking in your head that I was being a major cunt? It's not a word that gets tossed in, and never even had to be. It's just a provocation.

That was the meaning behind your words that I perceived.

And same thing for "piece of shit". Telling someone they freaked out is pretty insulting and I you got how I felt about you for that, but since we're only going by Queen Ivy's declarations, I guess you're off the hook.

I guess I see a different between saying someone freaked out (because that's a quantifiable thing -- you can watch someone freak out), and simply tossing out an insulting like "piece of shit." You seem to personalize a lot more than I do, just by your nature. (No judgment, just stating what seems clear to me.) Believe it or not, the insults HALF roll off my back... on some level it bugs me to hear words like that tossed at me, but I was more annoyed at the thought that the rules might be inconsistently applied, and we have these rules that are not enforced well. That really bugs me. If I was on a forum where there are no such rules, I would have probably just ignored the comments altogether.

Yeah, and what are YOU smiling at, Mr. Tardypants??

If you want to play, you need to come earlier next time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd recommend stepping away from this and letting it be. LS can't bait people if there's no one to bait.

The last exchange was actually an exchange. So we'll see. But thank you for thinking of me, that's always an option that I'm likely to pursue if things go poorly.

I agree with the OP about certain types of insults, but not all. From my experience, unless you're in a REALLY fucked-up community, people don't use the sorts of insults that make you internalize your worthlessness, as a way to bring community members together.

yeah. They would be aware of the impact of their words and wouldn't want to go there.

But I do agree with Fia that your insults can project your own insecurities onto others. A mother could have an eating disorder, insult her daughter's normal figure by calling her ugly/fat/etc, and give her daughter all of her issues that way. Same with unhealthy friendships/relationships. But I can't think of any instances of the OP with healthy communities or healthy relationships -- unless the insults are so casual that they are made meaningless. No matter how much my foul-mouthed friends say "fuck you" to me, I'm never going to think they actually dislike me, because I know them, I know their slang, I know how to read their intentions.

Well, that's true. I mean, I can get rather foul-mouthed with close friends, and we can call each other some pretty bad things, etc.,... and then we laugh because we're all just joking around with each other. If I wasn't so close to them, I'd be afraid my comments would be misconstrued and would never ever risk that. The joke is more about how outrageous and socially inappropriate we can be with each other, yet still know it's all a game.

I'm wondering if he's trying to imply that all "tribes" are based around insults? I'm not really seeing that, but I'm curious as to how that would work... and how a tribe NOT based on insults would work.

I missed his latter comments. I had viewed his original comments more like Fia's assessment, where an individual who cannot ingratiate themselves into the group begins to label the group negatively to drag them back into (And/or label them as part of) THEIR circle... thus providing some type of experienced connection even if it is negative. But maybe that wasn't correct? The idea in itself is still something I'm pondering.