• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Insults and the Belonging of the Worthless

Mole

Permabanned
Critical Thinking and Hemlock

Why spend so much time on something you seem to dislike so much? Are you trying to convert us away from MBTI? Or what?

It's called Critical Thinking. It is an acquired taste.

And Critical Thinking is appropriate at the Tertiary Level of education. At the Primary and Secondary Levels, we are learning our culture, but at the Tertiary Level we learn to critique our culture.

Critical Thinking causes cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful and so is inappropriate to those learning at the Primary and Secondary Levels.

However the cognitive dissonance of Critical Thinking is like stretching an unused muscle, and the more we stretch it, the more supple we become.

And also the reward of Critical Thinking is the discovery of new insights.

Western Civilization began our journey in Critical Thinking 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece with the philosopher Socrates.

And Socrates was poisoned by those who felt the same way about Socrates as you feel about me.

Last edited:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And Critical Thinking is appropriate at the Tertiary Level of education. At the Primary and Secondary Levels, we are learning our culture, but at the Tertiary Level we learn to critique our culture.

Critical Thinking, though, is emotionally painful and so is inappropriate to those learning at the Primary and Secondary Levels.

However the emotional pain of Critical Thinking is like stretching an unused muscle, and the more we stretch it, the more supple we become.

Western Civilization began our journey in Critical Thinking 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece with the philosopher Socrates.

And Socrates was poisoned by those who felt the same way about Socrates as you feel about me.

Well, if you consider yourself the equivalent of Socrates (and me of one of the poisoners) I guess there is no more to be said... :huh:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Victor is a fixture here. I'd actually miss these threads if Victor went away.

Victor is just Victor.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Critical Thinking, though, is emotionally painful and so is inappropriate to those learning at the Primary and Secondary Levels.

However the emotional pain of Critical Thinking is like stretching an unused muscle, and the more we stretch it, the more supple we become.

Interesting points on critical thinking and I believe we have crossed paths on this subject before.

However for me critical thinking has a purpose, it throws open the often unwelcome perspectives on the subject of it's examination to allow new perspectives as you said. And through these perspectives do people change their approach to themselves, each other and the world around them.

But I think of it as a privilege to the cognitive reasoning abilities of an individual...if that individual is not careful with their critical considerations they can find that they are JUST critiquing alone, without any purpose or real consideration. To the point that all they do is tear down, without wondering if what they are tearing down truely is as subject to the critical elements such thinking observed in the first place.

Afterall everything can become a delusional state of perception. Or perhaps it always is. But often I find it is a good idea to build upon what has been torn down. Although this is not possible with all subjects.

Especially those that only exist to be examined critically; usually that which is taken inherently by many without critical thinking.

As for insults...I agree with your explanation of belonging and the inducing of others to worthlessness because they are outside the group. But I think you dont divide it enough.

The groupings you present represent a rather strict 'me vs them' attitude. By that same token an individual can make themselves worthless under the assumption of a representative performing a group attack, regardless of whether the attacks exist under that banner or not. But there are groups within groups and there is no single person who is without a group in some form, even if it is merely one person to another. This does not stop such individuals who, by a strange twist of irony, enjoy the idea that they are opposed by a group.

Afterall what greater way to nuture the sense of self and it's identity than to picture one's self as opposing an army of worshippers or a collective, whose only goal is to assimilate all dislikeable dissenters to their ranks, or else cast them out and destroy them.

Yet that type of person will only end up creating their own situation, all the while believing or perceiving that an attack has been launched under the guise of group demand. What a terrifying existence that must be.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what is an insult? An insult is like spitting in someone's face. It is showing our victim is worthless.

And we show our victim is worthless because we want to belong, we want to them to be like us. We want them to be worthless like us. So we insult them in order to belong.
An insult cannot show someone is worthless; that requires an objective critique. An insult simply reveals the subjective opinion of the speaker about the other person. I see insults used more often to try to exclude someone, and make the point that they do not belong. ("You're not like us; you don't measure up to our standards somehow. You are different, and not in a good way.")

Critical thinking is appropriate at every level of education. If people grow up with it, they will probably not find it so painful as do those exposed to it only later in life.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Why do you typically have to ruin your provocative ideas by tacking on these personal slights at the end, that put down those you disagree with and elevate you to someone smarter than them? Or why not take it in the other direction for once? In this way, you are contributing to your own cycle of discontent here... you end up either rightly being criticized, or people simply isolate themselves from you, and you help create your own situation.

Some people here are frustrated by you, but I don't think people want to murder you. I also think it would be helpful if people worked harder to understand your ideas, and you worked harder to communicate in ways you know would better convey your insights.

... but whatever. You certainly already know all that.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I respectfully disagree Victor. I know you and I have had disagreements in the past, but I would say the reason the insults exist is to demarcate delineations between the respective individuals. It's a way of associating -against- of non-identification not to feel shared worthlessness, but to intimate superiority so that the group(s) the individual is signalling to will identify with the aforementioned and accept them into their clan :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
Why do you typically have to ruin your provocative ideas by tacking on these personal slights at the end, that put down those you disagree with and elevate you to someone smarter than them?

I agree this is a character flaw of mine. And I do it out of malice and to shore up my fragile ego.

I doubt if I can put an end to my malice or even shore up my ego.

So I guess this is the price you pay for my provocative ideas.

The alternative is to put me on Ignore.

Mole

Permabanned
Well, if you consider yourself the equivalent of Socrates (and me of one of the poisoners) I guess there is no more to be said... :huh:

I am Western and so Socrates is my inheritance. And as I intend to spend my inhertance profligately, Western Civilization will continue to flower. Every day I pick a flower to wear in my buttonhole to remind me I am a son of Socrates.

Mole

Permabanned
An insult cannot show someone is worthless; that requires an objective critique. An insult simply reveals the subjective opinion of the speaker about the other person.

Insults hurt us emotionally, insults smart, insults cut us to the quick, and so insults mobilize our emotional defences.

This is because insults are intersubjective.

No man is an island, and insults link our subjective islands.

One of the advantages of homo sapiens, conferred by natural selection, is that we are intersubjective. In other words, I can know what you are thinking and feeling and you can know what I am thinking and feeling.

And intersubjectivity makes civilization possible. Intersubjectivity makes lying possible, and so advertising, and so propaganda, and so education, and even conversation. Without intersubjectivity, Central would be impossible.

Without intersubjectivity I wouldn't be able to lie to you, but trust me, I would only lie to you if I could get away with it.

Mole

Permabanned
However for me critical thinking has a purpose.

Critical Thinking for me no more has a purpose than Natural Selection.

And this is the glory of homo sapiens - we no more need a purpose than poetry.

We reach our highest moments when we do things for their own sake. When we do things for intrinsic reasons, we become one with whatever we do.

Naturally the debased and those who wish to debase humanity tell us we are put here for a purpose. But comically it often turns out that the purpose we are put here to serve is their self interest.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Insults hurt us emotionally, insults smart, insults cut us to the quick, insults mobilize our emotional defences.

This is because insults are intersubjective.

No man is an island, and insults link our subjective islands.

One of the advantages of homo sapiens, conferred by natural selection, is that we are intersubjective. In other words, I can know what you are thinking and feeling and you can know what I am thinking and feeling.

And intersubjectivity makes civilization possible. Intersubjectivity makes lying possible, and so advertising, and so propaganda, and so education, and even conversation. Without intersubjectivity, Central would be impossible.

Without intersubjectivity I wouldn't be able to lie to you, but trust me, I would only lie to you if I could get away with it.
You are extrapolating grossly. Yes, you can know what I am thinking and feeling - if I tell you. Otherwise, you can but guess, and have a good chance of guessing incorrectly. I will do no better, and likely worse. Please elaborate on exactly what you mean by "intersubjectivity".

Mole

Permabanned
The Largest Animal

You are extrapolating grossly. Yes, you can know what I am thinking and feeling - if I tell you. Otherwise, you can but guess, and have a good chance of guessing incorrectly. I will do no better, and likely worse. Please elaborate on exactly what you mean by "intersubjectivity".

Why do you think such a soft, edible animal as homo sapiens, without even claws and with tiny teeth, have been such a success under Natural Selection?

The answer is simple and obvious, we have become so successful because we have become one large animal due to intersubjectivity. They keep telling us the largest animal that has ever lived, lives today as the Blue Whale, but this is simply mistaken - homo sapiens is the largest animal that has ever lived, due entirely to intersubjectivity.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree this is a character flaw of mine. And I do it out of malice and to shore up my fragile ego.
I doubt if I can put an end to my malice or even shore up my ego.
So I guess this is the price you pay for my provocative ideas.

Oh Victor, you're breaking my heart! :cry:

I sense there is good in you.
Why oh why won't you come into the light and set your malice aside?
What would Toad say?
Think of Mole and Rat!

The alternative is to put me on Ignore.

Actually, I've had you on Ignore for years. I just occasionally read your posts anyway, just for old times' sake. :(

Little_Sticks

Dude your reasoning is weird. That's not an insulte BTW, just an observation.

Yeah, no kidding. He declares axiomatic truth and ignores those who question it, while people pat him ignorantly on the back for the thought.

Why do you typically have to ruin your provocative ideas by tacking on these personal slights at the end, that put down those you disagree with and elevate you to someone smarter than them? Or why not take it in the other direction for once? In this way, you are contributing to your own cycle of discontent here... you end up either rightly being criticized, or people simply isolate themselves from you, and you help create your own situation.

Some people here are frustrated by you, but I don't think people want to murder you. I also think it would be helpful if people worked harder to understand your ideas, and you worked harder to communicate in ways you know would better convey your insights.

... but whatever. You certainly already know all that.

Good to know my estimations of you are correct. So you like "provocative" crap. Instead of critically thinking about what Victor has said, you pat him on the back instead. This just goes to show you really don't prioritize arguing and reasoning fairly, but support provocation foremost. And if you get your kicks out of using propaganda to piss people off, [insult removed].

Last edited by a moderator:

Mole

Permabanned
The Naughty Corner

Actually, I've had you on Ignore for years.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew you sent me to the naughty corner years ago. Well, I can't say I don't deserve it. It's true, I'm a naughty boy - not the Messiah, just a naughty boy.

Mole

Permabanned
What would Toad say? Think of Mole and Rat!

I think it is very cruel of you J. (see, I can't even bring myself to write your full name) to talk behind by back to my friends Mole and Rat, and you were even indiscrete enough to talk to Toad, and Toad being the gossip he is, it will be all over the riverbank by now.

Your cruel words have even reached the Wild Wood giving the weasels and stoats no end of fun. I am laughed at wherever I go!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good to know my estimations of you are correct. So you like "provocative" crap. Instead of critically thinking about what Victor has said, you pat him on the back instead. This just goes to show you really don't prioritize arguing and reasoning fairly, but support provocation foremost. And if you get your kicks out of using propaganda to piss people off, [insult removed].

Your estimation of me is apparently very clueless, as I have been one of Victor's biggest critics over the years. And not necessarily about his content; I get where he is going with many of his posts, but at the same time I think he's less concerned about communicating in ways that actually can make a difference. He's more enamored with his style of exchange and being provocative. I have a hard time catering to that sacrifice of clarity for style.

Meanwhile, you don't really know me, and I don't know who the fuck you are, except for how you lost it during election season, and since then I've stayed away from you.

I don't really understand why you are holding an ongoing grudge against me, to the point of publicly calling me a cunt (very cute way to word it, by the way, to try to "skirt the rules"); but I'd appreciate if you stopped harassing me needlessly around the forum. I'm fine with not talking to you, and if you can't actually give me a fair shake and keep that venom in your mouth, I'd appreciate you returning the favor. Thanks.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew you sent me to the naughty corner years ago. Well, I can't say I don't deserve it. It's true, I'm a naughty boy - not the Messiah, just a naughty boy.

I'm sorry, Victor, I can't play with you anymore.
People are talking.
My reputation as a nice girl is ruined, from the looks of it.
I'll never get into finishing school now.

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah, no kidding. He declares axiomatic truth and ignores those who question it, while people pat him ignorantly on the back for the thought.

I don't think you have clue one about who Jennifer is. Your post is filled so full of ignorance, I can't help but laugh.

Also, spellcheck tells me that "cunt" is spelled with a "c" and my dictionary check on it's definition tells me you don't know how to apply this word properly.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:huh: That wasn't even remotely what Jennifer said.