• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Over-Thinking and Obsessive Thoughts?

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Is there anyone else here who gets obsessive thoughts? I am talking of invasive ones that I can't even shoo away. Example; I think of X and it becomes Y & Z and I am wondering why I even got to that conclusion in the first place. Yeah, I over-think things but when it comes to these thoughts trailing into, say accusations and assumptions about people I care about. I've been given a diagnosis of OCD could this be it? It really sucks when I share these thoughts with whom it may concern. I'm at the point where I think this is a curse and no matter what I do to distract myself the thoughts return. Another example, and maybe this gives a better idea; I read back on a conversation I had with someone and try to pick out words and end up coming up with something that they didn't mean in the first place. The words would become ingrained in my mind. I feel like I am a bad friend in many cases whereas I end up coming up with baseless accusations and fears. I am worried for my mental health at this point and these thoughts are even worse when I've had caffeine. I am not mentally-ill I swear but I do wish these thoughts did not need to present their ugly head in terms of my friendships. I care for my friends, a lot and maybe the problem is I am too obsessive and worried about them? If someone isn't online for a few days I would guess he or she died and I'd Google to see if I can find any articles about their death. Bad, I know. I also end up thinking of the worst case scenario when it comes to them and I guess I need to realize I should trust them and lay back a bit?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like classic OCD. I'd just talk about it to someone you can trust, as often as you need to. If your friend understands its just how your mind works, and it helps you to talk it out, then I doubt they'd get weirded out.

If talking doesn't work, over time, then therapy or even meds might be in order. But I'd use meds as a last-ditch thing, personally.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Over thinking things to the point of completely obsessive compulsions is something that very intelligent people do, as they work to see things from all possible perspectives and dimensions, as well as having an insatiable drive to achieve whatever they are so complused to do.

Therefore, though it may make life more difficult, I would not necessarily categorize compulsions with anything negative, as it could indeed lead to greater self mastery, accomplishment, and just a basic desire to know.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Over thinking things to the point of completely obsessive compulsions is something that very intelligent people do, as they work to see things from all possible perspectives and dimensions, as well as having an insatiable drive to achieve whatever they are so complused to do.

Therefore, though it may make life more difficult, I would not necessarily categorize compulsions with anything negative, as it could indeed lead to greater self mastery, accomplishment, and just a basic desire to know.

OCD is called 'disorder' for a reason.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Sounds like classic OCD. I'd just talk about it to someone you can trust, as often as you need to. If your friend understands its just how your mind works, and it helps you to talk it out, then I doubt they'd get weirded out.

If talking doesn't work, over time, then therapy or even meds might be in order. But I'd use meds as a last-ditch thing, personally.

Thanks. So, you don't think there is something severely wrong with me then? I think I may have pushed this friend in particular away from me in this instance. But maybe that is my chaotic and obsessive mind telling me that. He's actually the one who invited me here, so I think he may understand but I've done this to so many friends especially male friends in concerns to say, other women. I wouldn't say I am jealous of their relationships but maybe that is something I need to assess personally.

I am actually on meds, but I am having doubts as to whether they're working more and I am not sure if I want to be dependent on those for the rest of my natural life.

Thanks. Yes, that is all true what you are saying there. It's just really bad in the case when I over think on things I shouldn't be poking my nose into, and maybe asking too many questions to friends about their significant-other in particular. I guess I am too curious for my own good in that matter that I can't help but want to know these things though on that same hand I don't want to make my friends uncomfortable by prying where I shouldn't be. I think I really annoyed a friend of mine the other day by going too far with my curiosity and he was right when he asked if I had some assumptions about him. I did but they were baseless and unfounded.

OCD is called 'disorder' for a reason.

That it is.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks. So, you don't think there is something severely wrong with me then? I think I may have pushed this friend in particular away from me in this instance. But maybe that is my chaotic and obsessive mind telling me that. He's actually the one who invited me here, so I think he may understand but I've done this to so many friends especially male friends in concerns to say, other women. I wouldn't say I am jealous of their relationships but maybe that is something I need to assess personally.

I am actually on meds, but I am having doubts as to whether they're working more and I am not sure if I want to be dependent on those for the rest of my natural life.

I don't know, but I'd doubt it. I'd have to evaluate you fully to find out.

As to the rest, not really sure what you are saying.

W

WALMART

I intended to write a serious response, but my thoughts have been derailed. lol?

tumblr_mdyly77yye1rkk6jko1_1280.jpg

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ That ginormously large and obnoxious picture is what the neat little spoiler tag is used for. :D :doh:

But I guess Hitler was indeed a highly obsessive and compulsive figure who had a my way or the high way attitude or else ALL OPPOSITION WOULD DIE! :dalek: :wink:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My intuition tells me that you have underlying fears and anxiety issues, which bubble up from your unconsciousness into words and thoughts. Probably inferior Te and shadow Ti. Your Fi just wants to go with the flow and love people, but underneath you fear whether you are too trusting and compassionate, and might get taken advantage of. Also your sense of value is at tension with underlying feelings and desires, threatened by your rational mind.

It's ok to have boundaries and standards in your relations with people; it protects you. You just have to consciously think about what they are, and own them. Once you have a really clear idea of it, you can easily determine what is an irrational fear and what is true. And if these irrational fears keep coming up, then you know that there is a part of you that still has these fears, and it needs to be addressed.

View attachment 8542
(click to enlarge)

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
My intuition tells me that you have underlying fears and anxiety issues, which bubble up from your unconsciousness into words and thoughts. Probably inferior Te and shadow Ti. Your Fi just wants to go with the flow and love people, but underneath you fear whether you are too trusting and compassionate, and might get taken advantage of. Also your sense of value is at tension with underlying feelings and desires, threatened by your rational mind.

It's ok to have boundaries and standards in your relations with people; it protects you. You just have to consciously think about what they are, and own them. Once you have a really clear idea of it, you can easily determine what is an irrational fear and what is true. And if these irrational fears keep coming up, then you know that there is a part of you that still has these fears, and it needs to be addressed.

View attachment 8542
(click to enlarge)

Ah, yes that makes a lot of sense what you are saying there. I do have a lot of irrational tendencies, as you've pointed out. My friend in particular was wondering why I even wrote ninety-five percent of what I wrote to him, and mind that only five percent even applied to anything we've talked about. So, I guess that is a good example. Another thing, I end up repeating things, maybe it's in my subconscious but another good friend told me I am like a parrot with repeating things. I guess I am a difficult person to be around in that respect. I was told I am a thorn in the side. But hey, I've got the self-reflection to admit that, right?

Another thing, I had a nightmare-- or maybe what was a vivid recollection of various unfounded fears and disjointed thoughts-- but this one friend in particular ended up with Rosie O'Donnell. I mean wouldn't you worry if a friend brought Rosie home? Ninety percent of the time I am within my own thoughts, as ridiculous as they are but I somehow conjured this up. I fear this friend not getting hurt-- so maybe Rosie was there in a symbolic way that I should watch out for my friend or that I should not over think these things to perhaps welcome them though the latter is extremely unlikely? But you see, that is how my thought process is-- I guess I can call them 'destructive thoughts'. And I wonder why I have headaches so much.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I don't know, but I'd doubt it. I'd have to evaluate you fully to find out.

As to the rest, not really sure what you are saying.

I am not sure what I am saying either ninety-nine percent of the time, so it's not a big deal. To be honest, I never check what I write before I submit it. I just write my thoughts as they are when they come to me, even if they make no sense. What I am basically trying to say; is I think I may have jealous tendencies in concerns to my friends and their relationships. Maybe it is because I've never had a real or successful relationship myself?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am not sure what I am saying either ninety-nine percent of the time, so it's not a big deal. To be honest, I never check what I write before I submit it. I just write my thoughts as they are when they come to me, even if they make no sense. What I am basically trying to say; is I think I may have jealous tendencies in concerns to my friends and their relationships. Maybe it is because I've never had a real or successful relationship myself?

Jealousy may mean that you are lacking something you are seeing in others.

It's also just part of the human condition, especially regarding relationships.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Jealousy may mean that you are lacking something you are seeing in others.

It's also just part of the human condition, especially regarding relationships.

I am going to admit it, I have a lot of faults--- especially severe ones. I often feel like a failure and an idiot no matter what I say or do. I didn't want to admit I had jealous tendencies nearly three years ago when one friend who was counting on my support just got anger from my side. Such a friend I am, eh? Another thing is-- thanks in part to this obsessive thinking of mine I BEAT myself up. I rip myself apart more than anyone else. I am my worst enemy.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am going to admit it, I have a lot of faults--- especially severe ones. I often feel like a failure and an idiot no matter what I say or do. I didn't want to admit I had jealous tendencies nearly three years ago when one friend who was counting on my support just got anger from my side. Such a friend I am, eh? Another thing is-- thanks in part to this obsessive thinking of mine I BEAT myself up. I rip myself apart more than anyone else. I am my worst enemy.

I am sorry to hear that. Jealousy is a familiar fiend to me too. :)

But no one should hate themselves, nor beat themselves up. God commands us to love ourselves, as he loves us. Perhaps you have a trusted friend you can talk to? Or a therapist?

<3

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I am sorry to hear that. Jealousy is a familiar fiend to me too. :)

But no one should hate themselves, nor beat themselves up. God commands us to love ourselves, as he loves us. Perhaps you have a trusted friend you can talk to? Or a therapist?

<3

Thank you. :fairy: I am sorry that we have that mutual friend there of jealousy. It's wonderful isn't it?

I think I may try to resolve this with the friend in particular here. Hatred is perhaps too strong a word, I never really hated myself per say as I never considered suicide or whatnot.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been given a diagnosis of OCD could this be it?

OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder. obsessive in this case means thoughts that are obsessive, compulsions means some rituals or what ever actions that these obsessive thoughts guide you towards(create compulsions to do something). so yes, it is likely that the obsessive thoughts have some relation to your OCD diagnosis.

edit. [MENTION=19605]mingularity[/MENTION] ty for bumping this old thread and tricking me into posting it

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You ask if anyone goes through the same thing. I respond: every day. It's base level for me, honestly. Normal, even if it isn't the optimal way for a human to live.

To describe that kind of mind briefly: Everything is important. Things, people, words, actions, feelings and all of the other things that make up the universe are connected by the sticky threads of a great spiderweb. When one moves or is pulled, everything near it vibrates, and to a lesser degree sprawling outward, the whole web. If you obsess over the meanings of any one thing for an infinite amount of time, eventually you will have dealt with its vibratory connections to every other thing or exchange in the cosmos! It is tempting to follow every thread when you want to understand something, but remember that everything is linked: if you don't set a limit, there is no end. You will be ruminating for longer than any man or woman can live.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Is there anyone else here who gets obsessive thoughts? I am talking of invasive ones that I can't even shoo away. Example; I think of X and it becomes Y & Z and I am wondering why I even got to that conclusion in the first place. Yeah, I over-think things but when it comes to these thoughts trailing into, say accusations and assumptions about people I care about. I've been given a diagnosis of OCD could this be it? It really sucks when I share these thoughts with whom it may concern. I'm at the point where I think this is a curse and no matter what I do to distract myself the thoughts return. Another example, and maybe this gives a better idea; I read back on a conversation I had with someone and try to pick out words and end up coming up with something that they didn't mean in the first place. The words would become ingrained in my mind. I feel like I am a bad friend in many cases whereas I end up coming up with baseless accusations and fears. I am worried for my mental health at this point and these thoughts are even worse when I've had caffeine. I am not mentally-ill I swear but I do wish these thoughts did not need to present their ugly head in terms of my friendships. I care for my friends, a lot and maybe the problem is I am too obsessive and worried about them? If someone isn't online for a few days I would guess he or she died and I'd Google to see if I can find any articles about their death. Bad, I know. I also end up thinking of the worst case scenario when it comes to them and I guess I need to realize I should trust them and lay back a bit?

I have these. I have been struggling with them for quite some time now. Yes, these are OCD related and there is a technical name for them as well. They are known as "intrusive thoughts". Check out this article on them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts

Doing yoga, throwing yourself into distracting activities, and exercise helps as well. Also, make sure that you always get enough sleep. When you sleep the brain makes serotonin which helps you to calm down, so when you don't have enough sleep the problem becomes even worse. Also, stay away from both sugar and caffeine, that makes the problem worse as well.

If you have to take meds for them, try the herb called, "passion-flower" and "Valerian Root". The only pills that have ever helped me are Xanax.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have these. I have been struggling with them for quite some time now. Yes, these are OCD related and there is a technical name for them as well. They are known as "intrusive thoughts". Check out this article on them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts

Doing yoga, throwing yourself into distracting activities, and exercise helps as well. Also, make sure that you always get enough sleep. When you sleep the brain makes serotonin which helps you to calm down, so when you don't have enough sleep the problem becomes even worse. Also, stay away from both sugar and caffeine, that makes the problem worse as well.

If you have to take meds for them, try the herb called, "passion-flower" and "Valerian Root". The only pills that have ever helped me are Xanax.
I have worse problems with these when I'm forced to take ADHD meds.