• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

high energy/low energy

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been wondering for a bit if there really is such a thing as a high energy person or, I suppose the opposite would be a low energy person... is it a personal characteristic or is it a reaction to life circumstances or a bit of both? :huh:

I think both are relevant.

However, I think the primary determinant is an inherent trait of people; yet anyone's environment can energize them or demotivate them depending on the person/environment combo.

From what I've seen, people who are engaging in activities that are reinforcing of their core strengths are usually energized as hell, because whatever it is they are doing is re-inforcing, it is a source of positive energy flow, because they are doing something well, and likely being rewarded for it, either via money, recognition, achievement of something they believe in, etc.

I keep getting described as high energy by people...

Big surprise! :laugh:

I'm comfortable on the move, making things happen or making sure that they flow efficiently... described a few times as someone who, even when still, appears to have a lot of energy waiting under the surface... waiting to jump into action for some reason.

I identify with this statement alot; I am very similar.
I like being productive.
I like being able to have an effect on my environment.
For some reason it is extremely awesome and cool and desirable to me to be able to premeditate a change in my environment, predict what steps need to be taken accomplish the transform, test out my theory IRL, and if I'm able to pull it off - for some reason it's just fun as hell. For lack of a better term, I "use my powers for good" - I don't try to make freaky bad shit happen. :happy:

Except for when on a daily drinking schedule or when seriously depressed I've ALWAYS been that way...

These two things have gotten in the way of my productivity and zeal for life a time or two in my day also.
When things got really bad for whatever reason, and I was younger, going batshit wild seemed like a great way to neutralize the pain, and later in life (much later, actually) I experienced my first bout of depression.
Luckily, I snap out of depression fairly quickly, in fact freakishly quickly in some cases, but I believe it is because I am able to look myself in the face and be as candid and honest as I am with others about what is fucked up in my life and what I need to do to fix it. Then it's just a matter of going through the steps to start digging my up to my usual upbeat positivity. But yes, I've had some dark nasty moments too, and they suck.

a very active child and teenager who was always up to something. To be any other way is somehow kind of incomprehensible to me... :shock:

:solidarity:

I realize that not everyone is the same way or it wouldn't be something that is often commented on and a lot of people seem rather content to sit still and just relax.

Agreed.

From what I can tell, (1) some people are OK with their environment as it is and doing what they must without mixing up a whole lot else, which there is nothing wrong with IMHO, (2) there are some folks who are for one reason or another truly apathetic and kind of zoned out/disconnected from what I can tell, but they are by no means a majority so far as folks I have met, (3) others still might simply have a high threshold for engaging in things and thus kind of on autopilot unless compelled to react otherwise - some people are simply consumed by what is going on in their lives, whether they appear busy or not - I totally get that, (4) at any given point in time there are folks who are depressed and thus less active than they would be otherwise - been there done that, and (5) There's the busy folks like us.

Thank goodness there are so many different types of people, likfe would be boring otherwise.

Is this a difference in physiology?

Extreme definitions here, disclaimer - I'm not a doctor, these just seem like obvious physiological states that would result in a person being "busier" than average:
ADHD = Yes
Hypomanic/Manic states = Yes
Overproductive adrenal glands = Yes
Excessive neurotic energy = Yes
Massive hormonal fluctation = Yes

in mental makeup?

IMHO, yes.

Assertive types = Yes
People with Natural Leadership Skills = Yes
People dedicated to a cause = Yes
People massively in love = Hell Yes
People high on life = Yes

in life circumstances?

Absolutely.

Factors that would increase the "busy-ness" of a person, IMO, include:

Wealthy = has time and resources to be very busy doing whatever they want, when they want
Short on time in a place they love = going to do as much as possible before leaving
New to an area and thrilled about it = busy exploring the wonders of their new environment
Just hatched out of a bad, stressful phase of life and making up for lost time = Yes

is there such a thing as a high energy or, conversely, a low energy person?

In terms of people being on a continuum of having very little energy vs. a whole lot of energy = Yes, I think so, but I have no idea what the distribution looks like at either polarity...

what are the causes? :huh:

Like all things human, I believe: GENOTYPE + ENVIRONMENT = PHENOTYPE

I'd really like some input from people on either side of the coin here in order to understand things a bit better if possible since it's kind of an awkward question to ask people in real life :blush:

I hope my comments above are useful to you in some way.

:hug:

-Halla74

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an energy chameleon. It just matches that of my surroundings... Typically.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by "judging"?

Method 1:
Dominant judgers - ESTJ, ENTJ, INFP, ISFP, INTP, ISTP, EFSJ, ENFJ. (Fi, Ti, Te, Fe)
Dominant perceivers - ESTP, ENTP, ENFP, ESFP, INFJ, INTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ (Se, Ne, Ni, Si)

Method 2:
Judgers = type ends in J
Perceivers - type ends in P

Either way, I don't quite see the categorization because
- STPs tend to be pretty action oriented - especially ESTPs
- TJs are as well
- FPs - not so much however ENFPs can be very much so
- ENTPs can be very high energy
- ISFXs would be less so

So, it's all over the map

Method 2. This thread is talking about energy put into the external world. I can put a lot of energy into pure (Ti) thinking.

Go-getters like to work. So I'm not talking about energy that goes to nonconstructive purposes, like partying.

As for ENTPs, "ENTPs are less interested in developing plans of actions or making decisions than they are in generating possibilities and ideas. Following through on the implementation of an idea is usually a chore to the ENTP."

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Method 2. This thread is talking about energy put into the external world. I can put a lot of energy into pure (Ti) thinking.

Go-getters like to work. So I'm not talking about energy that goes to nonconstructive purposes, like partying.

As for ENTPs, "ENTPs are less interested in developing plans of actions or making decisions than they are in generating possibilities and ideas. Following through on the implementation of an idea is usually a chore to the ENTP."

I dont know. I have seen some very high energy and driven ESTPs. I've seen some very high performing and driven INTPs. I've also seem some INTPs that can't organize their way out of a paper bag. There are IXTJs that seem to think too narrowly on their own world which effects the impact they can have (like a racehorse with blinders).

One of the biggest go getters I know is an ENFP. Brilliant and a true dynamo. Takes initiative and runs with stuff. Organizes and inspires people. Gets stuff done.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty low-energy as far as physical activity. Similar to what [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] said. I'm prone to getting tired in the presence of strong extraverts. There are times when I get antsy and will spend it up in an explosion of activity with someone else. This may include discussions with people. Talk, talk, talk and then all of a sudden, I'm painfully drained and will abruptly disengage (drives my roommate crazy).

Intense and driven mentally. I wish I could channel some of my mental energy into my tired body.

I have two sisters that are very high energy...Te and Se-doms. They amaze me and I've always been really envious of it. It took me a long time to realize that my lack of the same type of energy wasn't a personal flaw.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont know. I have seen some very high energy and driven ESTPs. I've seen some very high performing and driven INTPs. I've also seem some INTPs that can't organize their way out of a paper bag. There are IXTJs that seem to think too narrowly on their own world which effects the impact they can have (like a racehorse with blinders).

One of the biggest go getters I know is an ENFP. Brilliant and a true dynamo. Takes initiative and runs with stuff. Organizes and inspires people. Gets stuff done.

An organizer is a J type by method 2. But focusing on the EXTP types for the moment, I find that they are manipulative. A good fictional example is Tom Sawyer, who convinced some kids that white-washing fences is great fun, and in that way he got out of having to do the chore himself.

J people who are depressed go into a low-energy state. So when talking about individuals, and not types, there are other psychological factors to account for.

Lark

While there's a physical component to this I do think its psychological too, motivation is totally determined by psychological factors.

Motivation is what I am understanding as high energy here, not simply hyperactivity, am I right?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While there's a physical component to this I do think its psychological too, motivation is totally determined by psychological factors.

Motivation is what I am understanding as high energy here, not simply hyperactivity, am I right?

Yes, ADHD people can be either introverts or extraverts.

Lark

Yes, ADHD people can be either introverts or extraverts.

Yes but are we discussing motivation or hyperactivity when we are talking about energy? I'm just trying to define what we're discussing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never really been sure, tbh. I think I tend to be either high- or low-energy based on who I'm interacting with. I'm adaptable in that regard; I'm not the sort of person who barrels into any situation like a bull in a china shop, nor am I consistently a passive, chill person, but I take whichever of the two roles seems to be necessary. Some of this, I think, has to do with the fact that I was raised by a high-energy mom and a low-energy dad, and as their only child, I had to successfully deal with them both in order to maintain the family dynamic.

But on the other hand, I think I come across as being pretty consistent, energy-wise. Even when I'm quiet or unsure about things, it seems like an intense slow-burn to other people. It's just a matter of whether the lid of the boiling pot is on, or off.

Maybe I'm not interpreting the question correctly...
However, I think the primary determinant is an inherent trait of people; yet anyone's environment can energize them or demotivate them depending on the person/environment combo.

From what I've seen, people who are engaging in activities that are reinforcing of their core strengths are usually energized as hell, because whatever it is they are doing is re-inforcing, it is a source of positive energy flow, because they are doing something well, and likely being rewarded for it, either via money, recognition, achievement of something they believe in, etc.
Ooh, that's a really good point. I'm VERY high-energy when I'm doing something I like, that I feel confident about.
I identify with this statement alot; I am very similar.
I like being productive.
I like being able to have an effect on my environment.
:yes: Same.
Thank goodness there are so many different types of people, likfe would be boring otherwise.
"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."
- Bill Nye

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never really been sure, tbh. I think I tend to be either high- or low-energy based on who I'm interacting with. I'm adaptable in that regard;

I experience this too.
People who are "irritating" to me tend to drain me, and thus I avoid them like the plague. :laugh:
Extroverts DO NOT ALWAYS gain energy from being around people; we are energized by being around the "right peeps" - or good common folk unknown to us, in general. :newwink:

I'm not the sort of person who barrels into any situation like a bull in a china shop,

Ummm...I...kind of sorta' am. :shock: :doh: :laugh:
It's funny how some people look horrified when I show up and am like "Hi! I'm here to help out!" :holy:

nor am I consistently a passive, chill person,

The only people like this that I know are my Mother, and my wife's Step-Dad.
It's an interesting disposition to me, because it is so different than my own.

but I take whichever of the two roles seems to be necessary.

It's good to be flexible.
It's hard for me to hold back once my trigger to engage is pulled.

Some of this, I think, has to do with the fact that I was raised by a high-energy mom and a low-energy dad, and as their only child, I had to successfully deal with them both in order to maintain the family dynamic.

This is a very interesting observation! :yes:

But on the other hand, I think I come across as being pretty consistent, energy-wise. Even when I'm quiet or unsure about things, it seems like an intense slow-burn to other people. It's just a matter of whether the lid of the boiling pot is on, or off.

Potential energy can be felt by animals.
Dogs do not aggress toward assertive people.
Therefore, an assertive person at rest is still exhuding an energy signature that is detectable by others.

Maybe I'm not interpreting the question correctly...

Regardless, your replies are very interesting. :happy:

Ooh, that's a really good point. I'm VERY high-energy when I'm doing something I like, that I feel confident about.

When I have a chance to dedicate my time and enrgy to something I have a natural affinity for, or something I believe in, I hit "Tasmanian Devil" mode, and the Energizer Bunny in me sits on the bench for a while and goes "Wow, that dude is loaded with some seriously badass batteries." :cheese:

It's fun, isn't it!? :)
And trying to have an affect on one's environment is not always for personal gain. contrary to popular belief.

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."
- Bill Nye

AWESOME quote!

:solidarity: and :harley: and :hug:

-Halla74

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] have an interesting conversation going on up there about differences in different situations :) I suppose I'll weigh in a bit now...

My energy seems mostly to just feed off of my energy in a way... if I'm not feeling particularly up to doing something, whether exercise, cleaning or dealing with people I tend to force myself to do it in the most energetic manner possible... when I'm done I feel like I can conquer the world from that point on... energy gained from energy expended, as illogical as that sounds in a way :ninja: I'm quite capable of bouncing around the house and being productive without anyone else even around!

and to Halla's comment about potential energy and animals... it seems to apply to humans as well... I've had bosses who everyone else hated and feared as tyrants back down when I've told them no on a consistent basis in the past... I really don't think that I'm particularly intimidating, but I guess energy gives off some sort of warning vibes or something to humans as well :shrug:

... I can also agree that it's hard to back down once engaged in the situation... don't get me interested and then say I'm not needed... I'm looking FORWARD to fixing things by now! :sadbanana:

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have a tendancy to pace back and forth constantly, especially when I'm thinking. A bit like an animal in a cage, I suppose, except better at maths.

There are some people who seem to do nothing at all, but perhaps that's just an inaccurate perception. People often think that about me, after all.

G

garbage

One of my students is a very, very high-energy person--passionate about what he does, spontaneous, excitable, with no economy of words and often scattered. I've determined that my primary role is to motivate him and to focus/channel/direct his energy and his efforts, so we work very well together.

I can "switch it on" for a while--I can be a passionate and lively speaker and entertainer, and I like to catch attention--but I do highly appreciate periods of 'disengagement.' Those periods are a chance to sharpen the saw--to organize and collect thoughts, to piece together the ol' mental model of the outside world, to get my bearings straight for the next go 'round. My brain's always churning away, even when my body isn't.

Pure raw balls-out action is one way to impact the external world, but there are others, too. Those other means just happen to be less direct; and so less noticeable; and so sometimes less appreciated both externally and within oneself. I've felt guilty for a lack of raw activity until I began to realize that one.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends who I'm with, where I am, what my mood is like, how much sugar I have and whether the thing I'm doing is something I like or not.

Or it could be whether or not I'm looking forward to something or not.

Edit: My energy comes like a PLC curve (google it). I need time to warm up in the morning and it peaks just before evening, slowly dying off at night. This is, of course, during a normal day -- assuming I'm eating normally and there's nothing to look forward to in my mundane life.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] have an interesting conversation going on up there about differences in different situations :) I suppose I'll weigh in a bit now...

:yesss:

My energy seems mostly to just feed off of my energy in a way...

Interesting! :yes:

This is the "self-perpetuating reaction" effect, like nuclear fusion but using ATP + motivation instead. :glasses:
IF I am "in to something" - as in a landscaping project, cleaning my house from wall to wall + floor to ceiling, etc., THEN yes I do have a supernatural reserve to tap into, because the very thought of accomplishing what I set out to do is an adrenaline-like drug all its own.

The part of it I'm working on is "mustering up enough fgive a shit to do things I'm less than entheused about." :laugh:

if I'm not feeling particularly up to doing something, whether exercise, cleaning or dealing with people I tend to force myself to do it in the most energetic manner possible... when I'm done I feel like I can conquer the world from that point on... energy gained from energy expended, as illogical as that sounds in a way :ninja:

That's very cool of you to be able to shift into that mode readily as you need to. :hifive:

I have one little technique I've been using as of late to get myself moving in the morning when I don't want to get out of warm, snuggly, cozy, super-awesome bed and go to work.
I imagine a tiny drill Seargeant on my shoulder screaming at me. He usually says something along the lines of:

"Hey, you lazy piece of rhinosaurus snot!! You're going to be late for work if you don't move your ass!! Get off your goddamn computer, shower and get dressed - NOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!" :angry:

I'm quite capable of bouncing around the house and being productive without anyone else even around!

Ohhh, I totally identify with this. :devil:
In full-on "get shit done mode" I have in the past actually "scared people." :shock:

BUT - when my house is empty and only my pets bear witness to my methods, I can do the work of four people for hours on end - if I am simply allowed to it all as I prefer, and in the order I wish, and at the multi-thread/multi-task level that my brain operates at by default. :newwink:

and to Halla's comment about potential energy and animals... it seems to apply to humans as well... I've had bosses who everyone else hated and feared as tyrants back down when I've told them no on a consistent basis in the past... I really don't think that I'm particularly intimidating, but I guess energy gives off some sort of warning vibes or something to humans as well :shrug:

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. :2ar15:

This is the penultimate sign of being an assertive person, IMHO.

It matters not if you have actual "authority," or "rank," or even supernatural strength/size - what matters more than any of that is that you emphatically believe to the core that things need to be going a certain direction, and that you have the confidence to stand your ground, defend your position, and have the audacity + intellect + charm to persuade your naysayers to adopt your position on the matter.

If you are at the state that I described above, then it will basically take a few police officers gunning you down with tear gas + rubber bullets + tazers to disengage you.

And when people detect that level of confidence, and if they are not as confident that they can hold their ground should they choose to engage you in debate, they will likely either comply, remain silent, or defer to the viewpoint of whomever they feel "should" have authoirty over the matter at hand.

That's why I always identify the "decision maker(s)" in the room FIRST - before the melee of the day takes place. You don't have to win the whole room over, you just have to entice the person in charge that your solution to the problem at hand is feasible, of lowest risk than any other available outcome, within their budget, and can be implemented by the time needed.

... I can also agree that it's hard to back down once engaged in the situation... don't get me interested and then say I'm not needed... I'm looking FORWARD to fixing things by now! :sadbanana:

TOTALLY!!!!! :rock:

Do not summon a genie only to tell them you have no wishes that they can make come true.
You will have a very pissed off genie on your hands, and that is never good. :laugh:

As always, I totally dig the perspective of the Mighty-Awesome-Brilliant-and-Good WHATEVER.

-Halla74

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] energy is a funny thing that way... why do some people have the ability to muster it up and others don't? is it that they don't want to, do they not know how to or do they just not have the reserve there, waiting like a magma reservoir under a volcano just waiting to get out? :thinking:

I think part of the intimidating others through intensity thing comes from background in part too... when you have a history of throwing everything at what you want because of some strange sense of desperation- maybe you've tied your self worth to what you do instead of what you are, or maybe you feel there's nothing left to lose... that throwing yourself into things with intensity becomes a second nature and a manner of defense... if you're strong enough nobody's going to dare to go against you... they will back down. god help everyone if two such people meet head to head though... :shrug:

and I can totally identify with the getting up in the morning thing... we have a rather wonderful bed with high thread count sheets and a down comforter and once my first alarm goes off in the morning the man always rolls over to spoon me until I have to get up... getting out of bed is HARD :doh:... I always have to remind myself of the consequences of NOT getting up every morning...

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been wondering for a bit if there really is such a thing as a high energy person or, I suppose the opposite would be a low energy person... is it a personal characteristic or is it a reaction to life circumstances or a bit of both? :huh:

I keep getting described as high energy by people... I'm comfortable on the move, making things happen or making sure that they flow efficiently... described a few times as someone who, even when still, appears to have a lot of energy waiting under the surface... waiting to jump into action for some reason.

Except for when on a daily drinking schedule or when seriously depressed I've ALWAYS been that way... a very active child and teenager who was always up to something. To be any other way is somehow kind of incomprehensible to me... :shock:

I realize that not everyone is the same way or it wouldn't be something that is often commented on and a lot of people seem rather content to sit still and just relax. Is this a difference in physiology? in mental makeup? in life circumstances?

is there such a thing as a high energy or, conversely, a low energy person? what are the causes? :huh:

I'd really like some input from people on either side of the coin here in order to understand things a bit better if possible since it's kind of an awkward question to ask people in real life :blush:

High energy, more control than drive. EJ.
High energy, more drive than control. EP.
Low energy, more control than drive. IJ.
Low energy, more drive than control. IP.