• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever miss being depressed?

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
No, I don't miss it for the most part. The periods of depression in my life aren't those I look on too fondly though on that same hand I wouldn't be who I am today if not for them and perhaps the insight I'd gained from them.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
sometimes i miss the comfort of being sad

nortia

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Depression is one thing I hope I will never, ever, have to deal with again. Sadly, I know this is not the case, so I've been trying to embrace the impending doom and gloom by looking for the bright side to the debilitating side of my bipolar disorder. I couldn't find any.

So no, I'm not looking forward to round 63.

BUT! I always come out of it, so I will continue to endure and eats lots of chocolate once the time comes. :D

G

Glycerine

Kind of, I guess. In a weird way, I got used to the feeling so happiness can feel strange to me sometimes. Part of it was I repressed my emotions (mostly negative and some positive) through most of my childhood so depression was a bit cathartic. Other than that, I want to put most of that behind me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't 'miss' it. I like being happy. :)

(of course I still go through all emotions, and I'm not consistently happy, but I can definitely say I don't get nostalgic over being depressed/sad/dissatisfied)

Edit: Don't think I've been full-blown depressed; however, for a few years I was in a very prolonged funk where I felt 'stuck' and was extremely unhappy, and it took me a long while to work through various things internally.

xennui

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'll take depression over anxiety any day. Depression is a blanket, a familiar friend, the only thing that forces me to slow the fuck down and rest. It's usually a symptom of trying too hard the wrong way. I've learned to listen to it and let it drag me down, only then will I stop banging my head against what I think is the problem.

I'm horribly depressed right now and it's right where I need to be. :p

Edit: Also, my most depressive periods have been the most creative and usually the only time I make art for me.

Last edited:

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ive been depressed for about a decade and I think as someone already said it's been a part of me now. I just don't remember anymore how it feels like to wide awake, feeling free, feeling pain in a normal way or how to enjoy my hobbies as I once did when I was a kid. :(

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, never; I only miss the things I was depressed about.

A

Anew Leaf

To anyone who has ever been depressed long term and has come out of it: Do you ever miss it? Has it ever brought you any sentimental value?

I've been starting to come out of depression recently, I don't know how it happened, but I'm guessing that it had to do with the increased alcohol consumption (which, ironically enough, is a depressant) that started giving me a more confident attitude (I started messaging people on dating sites, for Christ's sake -- of course, I was drunk drunque when I did it, but still, I got some responses), but I sorta miss having complaining about. I found it to be a creative stimulant of sorts. Do you ever get that way?

This is kind of an interesting thing to ask. I wonder if Si mucks things up a bit because one gets used to a certain status quo of mentally being... and then that gets changed and it's disconcerting since the world has shifted itself.

I would hope that your depression would be lifted by more postiive means rather than alcohol. Ie, that inner confident glow.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't have the sad, melancholy depressed though. I have the total apathy kind where there is no justification to be living, no interest in eating or getting up. There's no "memories" since nothing happens except lying in bed going through motions. (You may as well ask if I miss being in a coma.) Crying and being upset is a welcome relief in those cases, so I can understand where people may enjoy that kind of depression. For me, there aren't any thoughts, feelings, or activities to miss. I like to be semi-manic and fast thinking and sometimes to achieve that, I know I need to do the opposite as well.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't miss a thing about it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been having like these short bursts of depressions lately after I wake up. Lasts a few minutes and then its fine again. Although I don't remember them, I think I might be having some seriously depressing dreams lately. :dry:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I work harder when I'm depressed because then I have motivation to improve things.

Since when we work we get to enjoy greater successes, I do indeed miss being depressed.

Depression is something that can also make us stronger, more able to deal with intense adversity.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a terrible time a long time ago.
I don't miss it and am shocked I accomplished what I did.

I agree with Victor and the others about the drinking. Drinking so that you would have the confidence to act sounds vaguely....self-absusive to me? Like throwing oneself in the path of an oncoming train.

Did you not know you were feeling badly in the first place?
Referring to it as being creative almost sounds like...you are detached from yourself, or that the depression is equivalent to self-absorption. Maybe you are remembering/missing the self-absorption and forgetting the actual pain of it?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had / have been having / am in the midst of a semi-depressed period, and when I 100% emerge from it, I will not miss it in the slightest. I agree with others on the thread who've said that it's a learning experience, which is technically positive, but there are ways to learn that I'd rather seek out that aren't quite so miserable.

The only thing I think I could miss is the numbness; I am very willing to admit that numbness is more comfortable than full-blown anxiety, guilt, sadness, etc. However, with that numbness comes a diverse array of frustrating and unwanted side effects that would not be worth it in the end.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
No, I place no sentimental value to the time of being depressed, but it's part of my history I should be aware of. I often reflect some of the changes in my life according to how my depression had affected it. I'm often thinking of alternate paths, but less in terms of what has been and what I could have done, but more in terms of what's possible now, what I want, what's good and how I'll do it. In those thought experiments, I sometimes miss the time *before* the depression, or the time *after* recovery.

Emerill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. I had been clinically depressed for years It would mess with my concentration, and I wouldn't eat much when I was in a funk. Mostly, it messed with my health, for too much sleeping or not enough eating.