• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever miss being depressed?

IllusoryReverie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't ever miss being depressed. I feel like even being out of a complete depression I still experience very lengthy states of melancholy, which encourage negative emotions at times, which, in a sense I suppose could add a certain emotional depth which I can appreciate when it isn't too terribly severe. But I don't feel like I could and ever would miss feeling extremely depressed. I don't want to feel like I'd rather be dead. That's what depression felt like to me; wishing I was dead all the time. I get upset when I see people tossing around the term when they're having a bad day or week. It seems as though many people are confused as to what depression really is. Mine has mostly been biochemical, but of course my tendency to withdrawal and isolate myself from others while depressed only further encourages the feelings of loneliness that come with it. So I guess in that sense it can be situational for me as well. Some people would just say, well if you were feeling that lonely, then why didn't you just see people? Because I didn't have the energy in me to socialize. It felt very chore-like and mentally straining- trying to make conversation when I always felt tired enough as it was. I guess there are various levels/states of depression, but I sure as hell don't miss mine.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sometimes. I think it's because I get bored. Or I lack an identity. Or I miss having an excuse, or playing the victim (mostly in my own head). It's nice when nothing's ever your fault.

I miss the relief that I feel from crying. I don't cry much (if at all) nowadays, as I find it difficult to physically feel that much sadness. When I do feel hurt I either walk it off (figuratively) and focus on something else, or direct the pain outward (i.e. anger).

Sometimes I still feel apathetic. But, no worse than that. This is likely the result of having companionship.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
WAIT A SECOND...you say you miss being depressed because you're drunk now?

Um, maybe what you miss is being sober.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think so. I felt justified in being a self-absorbed, insufferable, wallowy, cantankerous, ineffectual twit. The only thing I'd miss about it is that "license to kill" (not literally :wink:) I gave myself, and the protective turtle shell I felt like I had separating me and "out there."

Other than that, I am the happiest, most productive, least anxious, and most even-keeled I have felt in a very long time-- no desire to go back... turtle shell or no.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When your back is against the wall such as in depression it is a chance to prove yourself against adversity.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. I think that if a person misses it, there's still probably something wrong beneath the surface; the nostalgia is just a sign that that you need to bring it back up, experience it fully, and resolve it. That's been my experience, at least.

Little_Sticks

Depends what you mean by depressed. I actually 'like' having psychotic breaks with reality; I can control them, but if I indulge too much I can end up neglecting my physical needs, resembling symptoms of depression and schizophrenia. That's usually a good sign to stop. I'm kind of a masochist though, something I've come to terms with; most people are generally averse to pain and that becomes the norm, so I'm aware not to make such things about me known to other people, unless anonymously.

edit: btw, I don't use psychotic break to mean hallucinations and delusions, but rather this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotic_break said:
Some have suggested that (however disconcerting) such a break may be a form of psychological communication, opening the way for a less ego-bound and more emotionally grounded sense of personality.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. There might be some payoffs to depression, but it is generally regarded as a negative state, illness, etc, because the cons outweigh the pros.

E

Epiphany

Definitely not. I dread every winter and look forward to spring so I can spend more time outside. Having a melancholic temperament doesn't help either. I envy those who are lighthearted.