• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you or someone you know a psychopath?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
From CNN:

"You may not know for sure until you listen to this week’s CNN Profile of Oxford University research psychologist Kevin Dutton.

Dutton is author of the new book “The Wisdom of Psychopaths.”

As he explains in this interview, not all psychopaths are violent. In fact, there are many highly functioning psychopaths. One may even be your boss. And you can’t judge if a person is a psychopath by simply looking at him, or even from a brief conversation.

Dutton maintains that many people have great success in highly skilled fields not in spite of but BECAUSE of certain psychopathic traits, including a British neurosurgeon he interviewed.

Dutton may have been destined to study psychopaths. His father was one. Not a violent psychopath. A charming one, as so many are. Wait until you hear Dutton describe how his father once conned a restaurant full of patrons."

http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2012/11/09/cnn-profiles-the-psychopath-detector/?hpt=hp_abar

Short test

Long test

I tried taking the short test, but it crashed on me. :sadbanana: I hope that's not any indicator of the results. :shock: :laugh:

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
From CNN:

"You may not know for sure until you listen to this week’s CNN Profile of Oxford University research psychologist Kevin Dutton.

As he explains in this interview, not all psychopaths are violent. In fact, there are many highly functioning psychopaths. One may even be your boss. And you can’t judge if a person is a psychopath by simply looking at him, or even from a brief conversation.

Dutton maintains that many people have great success in highly skilled fields not in spite of but BECAUSE of certain psychopathic traits, including a British neurosurgeon he interviewed.

Dutton may have been destined to study psychopaths. His father was one. Not a violent psychopath. A charming one, as so many are. Wait until you hear Dutton describe how his father once conned a restaurant full of patrons."

http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2012/11/09/cnn-profiles-the-psychopath-detector/?hpt=hp_abar

Short test

Long test

I tried taking the short test, but it crashed on me. :sadbanana: I hope that's not any indicator of the results. :shock: :laugh:

Looks like sensationalist pop psychology.

There was a Horizon documentary on the BBC about this that was very interesting which explained that normal people can have the same genetic predisposition as psychopaths. But unless this is triggered by their environment during upbringing then they will NOT BECOME A PSYCHOPATH which is a term defined by ACTIONS not by a personality test.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
From CNN:

Short test

Long test

Looks like sensationalist pop psychology.

There was a Horizon documentary on the BBC about this that was very interesting which explained that normal people can have the same genetic predisposition as psychopaths. But unless this is triggered by their environment during upbringing then they will NOT BECOME A PSYCHOPATH which is a term defined by ACTIONS not by a personality test.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm getting a 403 forbidden error on the tests.

Mole

Permabanned
You have convinced me so at 2.40pm today I am going to see the movie, "Seven Psychopaths", and if I don't like it, I will blame you.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Links to test are not working... From the linked story:

"Update: An earlier version of this story provided links to questionnaire's from the author you could take online to measure yourself. The links are currently not working and will be replaced once the author's site is operational again. "

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scientific American Mind posted a book review on this last month. I found it a rather disturbing choice to use “Wisdom’ in the title. It’s a far cry between the kind of ‘intelligence’ being described and ‘wisdom’. It would have been far more apropos to title it “The Advantage of Psychopaths”. There was something about the language in the whole piece (most of which was directly from the book) that made my skin crawl.

/NF

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've certainly met/known people who had many of the traits associated with psychopaths. I'd hesitate to say any of them WERE psychopaths.

I think the conclusion I've reached over this is that, if someone ticks a lot of the boxes on the list or you're thinking "I get a psychopath vibe from them" (! not sure that's happened to me), you should probably keep your distance anyway, and not worry so much about the exact diagnosis...it at least means that you're probably better off not being around them.

(If it turns out you work with them or are married to them, though, that's another and bigger problem.)

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I read that Scientific American article.

It also suggested Romney and other political or business leaders are psychopaths.

How otherwise could they lie without the slightest tick?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very few people are more insane than I am! From another point of view however I am one of the most sane people in the world if by sane you mean an illuminated and awakened being.

G

garbage

The article needs some links or an explanation of psychopathy.

Sure, psychopaths can rise to the top because they don't give a shit and will use any tools necessary to rise to the top. These people have a chip missing even if we prop them up on pedestals of success, and I'd personally rather live the right way, practice empathy and kindness, and connect on a human level than make it to the top by such terrible and selfish means. If I'm going to 'make it,' I'm going to make it through win/win solutions.

/sanctimony
Very few people are more insane than I am! From another point of view however I am one of the most sane people in the world if by sane you mean an illuminated and awakened being.
Perhaps the psychopath in you is simply trying to convince us that you're an illuminated and awakened being so that you can get something out of us--a position of power over us, perhaps? :wink:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Perhaps the psychopath in you is simply trying to convince us that you're an illuminated and awakened being so that you can get something out of us--a position of power over us, perhaps? :wink:

Cant tell the psychopath :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Please, this is just your psychopathic tactic to appear impartial, tear both of us down, and rise above us. For shame, entropie. :dry:

I'll sacrifice a sheep and ponder about the inquiry ! :hideyhole:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure, psychopaths can rise to the top because they don't give a shit and will use any tools necessary to rise to the top. These people have a chip missing even if we prop them up on pedestals of success, and I'd personally rather live the right way, practice empathy and kindness, and connect on a human level than make it to the top by such terrible and selfish means. If I'm going to 'make it,' I'm going to make it through win/win solutions.

/sanctimony

Yeah. Though I only read the small excerpts of the book contained in the Sci Amer piece (and don’t know if it’s really representative of the whole book), I was disturbed at how the distinction being made was between the kind of psychopath who is violent and the kind who can live amongst others and ‘succeed’ in society…..as if the only way to be a violent force in society is to personally cause physical harm to another person (and as if being a ‘successful’ psychopath CEO isn’t a form of violence in itself).