• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The fact that we've been told about what kind of volunteer work is available here - commenting on you saying that it is useful in the US.
Oh. I can't imagine believing any of the schools I've gone to or that my kids have gone to are accurate or particularly trustworthy, let alone exhaustive sources of relevant information. Your schools must be different than ours.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
We had a teacher who organizes a lot of such things with the government and another one who's husband is one of the guys who you have to go through to make such events. Both are very enthusiastic about all those things and they encourage students to do it. More than once they've spoke about it throughout the whole lesson. Our class teacher gets into from the government and other schools on what is available (though she mostly offers events as in "self-help" kind of thing).

So yea, it was different.
So there isn't any way making a good impression on someone who organizes a lot of things with the government or who is married to someone you have to go through in order to make (authorize?) events could be of any benefit to someone? Do you use references on employment applications and resumes in your country?

I could name a dozen places in my town a person could volunteer and my city is not very big. Do you live in a small village or is your government extremely oppressive?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=16748]Il Morto Che Parla[/MENTION] [MENTION=15978]Typoz[/MENTION]

Maybe I did misunderstand. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to live a hard life, because it sucks. But the words you are using to describe it convey disdain when spoken in my culture. People here are picking up on the way you are speaking.

It's understandable that most people don't want a difficult life for themselves but we have different ways of saying that.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Don't knock people who make an honest living. I don't care if they are picking up cans by the side of the road - at least they're doing a job.

[MENTION=16748]Il Morto Che Parla[/MENTION] [MENTION=15978]Typoz[/MENTION]

Maybe I did misunderstand. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to live a hard life, because it sucks. But the words you are using to describe it convey disdain when spoken in my culture. People here are picking up on the way you are speaking.

It's understandable that most people don't want a difficult life for themselves but we have different ways of saying that.

That's fair enough. :) I hope I did not come across as aggressive towards you, it was not my intention.

Ok I will try to express something...in a developing country, at least in my experience, those kind of jobs, are truly a very hard life. I don't mean in the way of "good honest hard work" like a US or British person would think. I mean that the people who do those jobs, have no status in society, cannot afford to eat properly, they live in collapsing houses in unpaved streets, they cannot afford heating in the winter or cooling in the summer, if they lose one paycheck they starve, and there is no prospect of social advance for them, however hard they work. Plus the work will be ridiculous hours, with no health and safety, no rights, no dignity.

So I cannot speak for [MENTION=15978]Typoz[/MENTION] but only for myself, but having been born in such a country to a reasonably wealthy family (I moved to Britain at age 2)...we do "disdain" that kind of work in the way that you may "disdain" being homeless...it doesn;t mean at all disdaining the person, just thinking, it is a really shitty life.

I get that in Western Europe or the US, it's not like that, and refuse collector or a construction worker, can have a dignified life. But sadly in most countries that is not the case, and as such middle class eductaed people, would never go near that lifestyle, any more than you would go live on the streets.

Hope that makes some sense. :)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
But Typoz says his family is poor. Wouldn't doing some kind of work while waiting for his unpredictable plan to come to fruition be better than doing nothing? Or would that cause some kind of social stigma that would be difficult to overcome later on?

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
But Typoz says his family is poor. Wouldn't doing some kind of work while waiting for his unpredictable plan to come to fruition be better than doing nothing? Or would that cause some kind of social stigma that would be difficult to overcome later on?

No idea, I don't even know what country he is from. I was only speaking of my own experience I can't speak for him. :)

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
How would such a scenario work in your country?

To be honest I don't know. lol...I can't really picture that scenario because I don't know the details...I'm sorry I wasn't much help! :) I am sure Typoz will give you a good answer though! :)

Usehername

On a mission
Ok I will try to express something...in a developing country, at least in my experience, those kind of jobs, are truly a very hard life. I don't mean in the way of "good honest hard work" like a US or British person would think. I mean that the people who do those jobs, have no status in society, cannot afford to eat properly, they live in collapsing houses in unpaved streets, they cannot afford heating in the winter or cooling in the summer, if they lose one paycheck they starve, and there is no prospect of social advance for them, however hard they work. Plus the work will be ridiculous hours, with no health and safety, no rights, no dignity.

So I cannot speak for [MENTION=15978]Typoz[/MENTION] but only for myself, but having been born in such a country to a reasonably wealthy family (I moved to Britain at age 2)...we do "disdain" that kind of work in the way that you may "disdain" being homeless...it doesn;t mean at all disdaining the person, just thinking, it is a really shitty life.

I get that in Western Europe or the US, it's not like that, and refuse collector or a construction worker, can have a dignified life. But sadly in most countries that is not the case, and as such middle class eductaed people, would never go near that lifestyle, any more than you would go live on the streets.

Hope that makes some sense. :)

This was a very helpful post. I was definitely working within a Western framework.

So Typoz probably lives in a very hierarchical, classist society like many Indian cultures, for example? With very different social rules?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My definition of wasting my life: not enjoying my life as in living comfortable and doing what I enjoy.

My reason is that I live in an undeveloped country and my family is poor. Which causes me to be unable to live comfortably. Also unable to make money, as making money requires an investment which I don't have. That, of course, excludes horrible ways of making money, such as horrible jobs. An anyway, those jobs only pay enough to pay for living expenses.

In short, I feel like I've wasted over 20 years of my life and I'm continuously am wasting it, AND I'm likely to continue wasting it in the near future. Which, to me, feels horrible. I've plans how I can stop wasting it, but they all include factors that will happen but I can't influence them. They can happen today or in a year, but when it does happen, I'm ready for them and I know exactly what I'm gonna do then, step-by-step, both in the worst-case and best-case scenario.

P.S. To those who're gonna look at this as in "you can do something and yet you don't," that's true. Reasons for this are stated in the second paragraph and it contains little detail, which means that you shouldn't make a strong judgement based on that. The possibilities that I'm aware of usually result in a conclusion that says "it's a waste of time, nothing good will come out of it in the long run, nor short-term."

So any of you feel like you're wasting your life? If so, describe it - how are you wasting your life? Why are you wasting it? Are you doing anything to change the situation?

hmm... it actually does sound like you're trying to do something about it but circumstances are difficult. I can admire that. Almost like life is wasting you. *cheezy*. Anyway, there is plenty of suffering in the world, it's really nice to enjoy it, it's easy to envy those who have the ability to do so, but the worst is when you have everything and you take it for granted and continue to complain. There's a lot of people in the first world countries who can do that. (See- "first world problems" thread, some of the complaints are more common than you think.) I think as time goes on it's all the hard work and suffering that brings true happiness. It just takes longer to get there.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
This was a very helpful post. I was definitely working within a Western framework.

So Typoz probably lives in a very hierarchical, classist society like many Indian cultures, for example? With very different social rules?

Thank you :)

I have no idea where he is from or what kind of society it is. My family is from a very westernized "middle income" country, and what I said is based on that...so I imagine somewhere like India would be 100 times more extreme.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea, we use references from previous workplace. We also use "also has diploma in..." Charities may help to get into a place where you help people with similar things, organizing events, etc.. I think it may help, I'm not sure. But that's not where I'd want to work anyway.

Over here there are charities on certain days, like "poor people day" or "work day," etc.. So there's a few charities a couple times a year, mostly combined from high-school students who are made to go there by the teachers. Usually from the better schools.

I've been accused of that more than once, and the conclusion we had in all those discussions was that they thought that if I don't want to do it, I feel disdain for the people who are doing it. I think it's related to Fe types, as they tie things with people.

The underlined parts are true, the bold part depends on who's the employer and where you work. It's true for most construction and storage workers though.

Why do it? It doesn't pass the "useful/useless" filter of mine due to the end result being worse than it is now.

Not as strict as Indian cultures, but yes. The different social classes are very obvious.

Underlined: Exactly!

I can't say I envy those who do enjoy it... I don't feel anything towards those who live better than I do. They do, it's cool with me. So that isn't my reason to want to have a better life.

I can definitely agree on the "taking everything for granted" part... But that's the mentality, personality, not the way you live. Unless you're too illogical to even think about the way you live and act, or if you're one of those who absorb and reflect what other people do without even knowing who you are.

I don't know about that... I think that our circumstances play a huge role in whether or not you take things for granted. I mean, a lot of people can think and reflect and feel happy about things.. We can say we're grateful for our health and then see sick people and keep confirming it... But it's just not the same as actually battling illness... Same for any kind of hardship. I don't think there's anything like the happiness gained from working through actual distress. And I think it's just human nature to be this way.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Though throughout my life I have experienced endless failures and unfortunate ends it will be in the end that this is why I will emerge as a triumphant success.