• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why does "Grown Up" have negative connotations?

gromit

likes this
I have observed that many young adults shy away from the label "grown up" or "adult" and I don't really see why. I think being able to relax and have a good time are essential to well being and happiness - you would go crazy if you were all business, no party. But why do people in their 20s or even 30s say things like "I'm not an adult" or "when I grow up..." etc, as though being an adult were something negative?

It is possible to take responsibility for your life and your role in the world while still having a good time. I really admire maturity in thought and action.

I guess it is a rant or something.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Grown up" is sometimes used as a euphemism for "just another cog in the system."

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have observed that many young adults shy away from the label "grown up" or "adult" and I don't really see why. I think being able to relax and have a good time are essential to well being and happiness - you would go crazy if you were all business, no party. But why do people in their 20s or even 30s say things like "I'm not an adult" or "when I grow up..." etc, as though being an adult were something negative?

It is possible to take responsibility for your life and your role in the world while still having a good time. I really admire maturity in thought and action.

Grown up means what the Swedes call myndig.
Officialdom/authority. In Swedish: myndighet.

EU money is in the North of Europe?
It is in the South.
Is the money available to the myndighet/tax collector?
It is not.

If the money were available to the tax collector, the South would go under.
What would happen if the South went under?
The North would collapse. The economists know it.
So why they do not speak out?

Debit is credit.
Myndighet looks at figures that don't exist.

Lark

:dry:

I was never in my twenties or thirties by that measure.

I do think there's crisis in responsiblity and conscientiousness, particularly social conscience, but I see that as part of a more general maturational crisis which is more unconscious than conscious with a bunch of corresponding structural and cultural unintended consequences.

Although its interesting that you come at it from the personal/observational angle, what is your MBTI?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dont feel like sugar coating things this morning. Because people willjudge somwthing based on what they think about it at that time. So in one instance it will have a negative connotation and in another instance it will have a positive connotation. Peoples judgements are short sighted that way and flip back and forth based on what they want.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dont feel like sugar coating things this morning. Because people willjudge somwthing based on what they think about it at that time. So in one instance it will have a negative connotation and in another instance it will have a positive connotation. Peoples judgements are short sighted that way and flip back and forth based on what they want.