• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rate your understanding of psychology compared to the average member of this forum.

Rate your understanding of psychology compared to the average member of this forum

• I am more knowledgeable about psychology than the average member.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • My knowledge of psychology is about average for this forum.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I am less knowledgeable about psychology than the average member.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

ygolo

My termites win
I am curious.

Poll is public.

Edit: It seems I forgot to check that option. Since people voted already with it private, I guess we'll keep it that way.

Last edited:
G

garbage

I'd rate mine as above average, but only because it's a huge part of what I do for a living. This forum, though, likely has a better understanding than the general populace.

Although, I know enough psychology to know that (a) experts tend to rate themselves as less 'experty' as they really are because they're aware of what they don't know, (b) most people tend to rate themselves as above average in a lot of areas, and as a tangent, (c) mathematical linear models often significantly outperform experts in appropriately combining appropriate variables.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am less knowledgeable about psychology than the average member.

I am more knowledgable about psychology though than the average individual in real life.

G

garbage

Wait, did I actually say "appropriately combining appropriate variables"? :doh:
They also often compartmentalize fallaciously.
Yup. I'll have to be more specific--compartmentalization (categorization, ranking, etc.) is basically their strength, and they probably shouldn't be used for much else.

They do a better job of combining appropriate attributes of entities/objects once those attributes are identified in order to find rank orders or categories of entities based on those attributes--whether or not to let certain students in to such-and-such a program, how well such-and-such a thing will perform compared to another, and so on.

'course, this is all a side tangent to the OP, but the last thing I'll mention is that Robyn Dawes has pioneered some amazing research that basically shows just how terrible we humans are at combining multiple variables in our heads.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I said average cuz i don't know the knowledge of the average member i know the knowledge of the loud boisterious members but that doesn't account for the quieter members

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Poll is public.

?

It doesn't appear to be...

At any rate, I'm probably less knowledgeable than most members here on most topics. Although I probably know more about psychology than the average American citizen, you people here all appear to be much more intelligent and knowledgeable than me. Basically what RaptorWizard said.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
There are many types of psychology. Are you refering to typology? Because technically that counts as psychology, but it isn't really.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
So 2 and 3 are out of the question :D
Eh. Just take a quarter of 1 and swap it out with an equivalent number from 2, and then take another quarter of 1 and swap it out with an equivalent number from 3.

ygolo

My termites win
?

Is this an experiment? :smile:

Actually, I completely forgot I posted this. Pretty sure it was just an impulse to see who thought themselves to be more knowledgeable of psychology than average on this forum.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say I'm about average compared to the rest of the forum.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
are we talking about real Psychology or just personality typing systems in general?

EDIT: also, you know how many 5s and 3s are on this forum right? i'm kinda surprised that there's not a ton more people voting "i know more than average"