• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identity, Appearances, Archetypes.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is an odd list of questions, but I wouldn't mind hearing your answers. :)

Do you feel you have a strong sense of who you are or who you wish to be?

Does who you are or want to be strongly correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, like a bohemian, indie person, a W.A.S.P, a 'regular Joe', ingenue, etc.

Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent?

Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices?

Is your personal identity at odds with your personal history?

Are you currently attempting to expand your social circle?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Do you feel you have a strong sense of who you are or who you wish to be? no

Does who you are or want to be strongly correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, like a bohemian, indie person, a W.A.S.P, a 'regular Joe', ingenue, etc.
no
Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent?I don't know, maybe

Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices?huh? sorry its been a long morning

Is your personal identity at odds with your personal history?probably

Are you currently attempting to expand your social circle?yes siree bob

answered in bold

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent?

Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices?

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Could you clarify

No

Yes

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Could you clarify
No

Yes

Like, for example.. do you believe people look at you, and immediately think: James Bond. If so, is it because you just happen to be tall dark and hansome, or maybe it's because you don't leave the house without a tux before you jump into the Aston Martin you drive.

You're verbosity is especially appreciated. ;)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know what people see when they look at me.

But it probably goes something like young professional wasp yuppie. They will then attach whatever preconceived prejudices to those labels that they prefer, which will then be fundamentally altered if they ever talk to me face to face.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
A young urban professional, but yuppie has taken on a kind of definition all its own beyond that.

Which is why I used both young professional and yuppie. Yuppie brings up more connotations than does young professional.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1

I have a vague idea of how I could possibly come across, and an even less certain view of who I wish to be. Really, the best thing I thought to do was just do what feels right at the time, since that's the only thing I have to go by.

I'm pretty sure who I want to be doesn't correspond with any cultural archetype - at all. I think given my appearance and general first impression, I come off as an average and nice person. . . so meh.

Interestingly, based on what people who know me have said, I'm generally described more in terms of what I'm not than what archetype to which I adhere. I'unno.

I think the best people can tell from me, when they don't know me, is that I'm a generally reserved and even-tempered individual.

To your last question: I don't feel at odds with past me and I'm not trying to expand my social circle.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I identify strongly with my African-American and southern hertiage, but I don't let either of those limit my self-expression. They're my roots and my baseline, but there are countervailing aspects of my self that have never allowed me to fully be at home with either of those identities. The upshot of that is that I've always been a little bit of a cultural magpie: taking the shiny bits of this and that to create something that's uniquely myself. :)

A

Anew Leaf

(this is a perspective of one who is rather SO-Fail)

1- Oh YES. *checks Fi compass*
2- No. At times I have emulated certain cultures and ideas to try them on and see if they fit me at all. Then I take what is best and add it to my tiny glitter stash.
3- Um, I don't think so. I look like me. :unsure:
4- I think one would get a much stronger sense of who I am by simply talking to me. (Is that what we are asking? Hahah) I think I am a geode, rather boring on the outside, and stuffed with crystals on the inside.
5- No. I don't think so. Well, maybe. I am attempting to reconcile my inner ambitions in life and the cultural expectations that occasional attach themselves to me.
6- Yes. I decided to start working on my SO side a few years ago, and have learned to be more social and friendly to others. I used to have quite my own version of the Death Stare :)whistling:) and wasn't particularly interested in connecting with others. Now, I am finding it so much fun to engage in conversations with other people. I struggle a bit with this because I like giving people my full attention so they know how special they are to me. I feel like I am being less than a friend unless I give all of me. It's a balancing act I am trying to navigate.
[MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION], I am really sorry if I didn't answer these questions the way you desired them to be answered. :)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought people who are attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious are those insane Ni dominants!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION], I am really sorry if I didn't answer these questions the way you desired them to be answered. :)

You did perfect, Saturned. Here is a chocolate covered truffle-parsnip as thanks. I resonate deeply with your Fi answers.

I thought people who are attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious are those insane Ni dominants!

What do people see when they look at you? Do you wear wizard robes? Archetypes are invoked regardless of intent, and by more than Ni users.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have always rejected belonging to a particular group actually... I don't like the idea of it.

But I do seem to be drawn to quirky people... Or just people I can laugh with.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You speak of identity as though it is immutable. Strange indeed. Identity for me is a gestalt, an interplay between perception and will, a dance that changes dynamically with the perceptions. There are many people I respect for having a great talent, natural aptitude, character trait, or vision. This packet of proteins, carbon compounds, organ systems, and wave emissions in a sense of congruence for microns at a time enjoys to emulate them within their various domains. However, I find the interplay between them to be my true self and it cannot be contained within an "I."

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You speak of identity as though it is immutable. Strange indeed. Identity for me is a gestalt, an interplay between perception and will, a dance that changes dynamically with the perceptions. There are many people I respect for having a great talent, natural aptitude, character trait, or vision. This packet of proteins, carbon compounds, organ systems, and wave emissions in a sense of congruence for microns at a time enjoys to emulate them within their various domains. However, I find the interplay between them to be my true self and it cannot be contained within an "I."

I did no such thing.. but if if you imagined it as a challenge to answer to, I'm fine with you thinking so.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't have a very strong sense of who I am. i don't think about it that much. I think the person I wish to be is still me but a me who is much freer with her thoughts and actions. Someone who does the things I think about.

Not really. Maybe 'artist' but not in the bohemian or pretentious way. More in a bauhaus, utilitarian, conceptual art for the people way. basically i want yo wear non-desrcript but neat clothing and then make exciting things. Is that an archetype?

I guess I look a bit "alternative". Unnatural colored hair, nose ring, a few not so visible tattoos. My clothes have a bit of a light skater vibe . There is sort of an urban-college-art look here that I definitely fit into in comparison to say club or country or "regular".

I think people can probably tell that I'm a very function oriented person. Minimal. A little less concerned with rules but not actively trying to break them just from the heck of it. I think that's due to my clothes which are more tom boyish/minimal. the tattoo, piercing and hair are different but it's just a little bit and the hair, despite being unnatural on me, is a natural color for some people. Not typical but also not really attention grabbing.

No. I never really had any major shifts in Identity.

Yes, but not to any "type" in particular.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Partially, and I need more work on this, but with what I do know of myself I'm not entirely sure where it puts me in the context of other people.

No. I don't think I can shoehorn myself into a category like that, it would feel constraining. But somedays its simplicity is appealing.

Lately I've been dressing a bit like a yup. Mostly because I like the cleaner look, I have a tendency to dress it up anyway and I feel that if I dress down people assume too much about me.

No, but then again I dont' feel as if I have a coherant, archetypical identity, so how could others see it? I started this thread, because I am a Hispanic male living in the Midwest in a small city. It has never been an issue, because I never felt like I needed to integrate. And strangely enough, my differences with the culture were never due to me being Hispanic, but me being Fi. It hardly matters, because to the general population, different is different. And as I have lived here, I've become just a bit sensitive to it.

But, now I need to increase my social network and also look for some romance. I keep my head nearly shaved and have a very prominant tattoo, which could make people think I am some sort of thug, even though those choices I made had nothing to do with looking like a thug. If I lived in a more diverse area, it would be a bit less of an issue.

I don't want narrow minded people to like me, but I wouldn't mind giving them something to think about. And I would like for people to think that just maybe that there is more to me than they might assume. It seems to me that the clearest and first way to communicate this is with appearance. So, it's something I've been thinking about.

Right now, I feel like a younger man looking to explore. My personal history is quite heavy, and suggests more like a middle aged tragedy. I don't feel like that at all, except maybe when reflected in the minds of others.

Yes.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

K!

Yes.

Not really. Perhaps when I was younger, but once I realized how multidimensional I am, I don't identify with any particular one.

Sometimes. Hipster-ish. Maybe a rap video girl sometimes. Nerd other times.

No. I confuse people generally. I'm generally very closed off, even when friendly. Most people cannot tell I'm a mother. They also tend to think I'm younger than I am. I notice I have a younger person's mannerisms sometimes, silliness, riding shopping buggies, tightrope walking the curb, etc.

Yes. Raised in Detroit. Many people live their entire lives there. In general, people become misanthropic dealing with the bullshit that goes on there, which is understandable. I choose to live free from it. I've never been a "Detroit girl". I've always fared better in other places, particularly the west coast.

No. Not at this point in time. I've relocated to the suburbs of NYC and am pretty much observing the culture before I immerse myself in it. I've lived all over the U.S. and this is sort of routine for me, but I still have to allow myself the time to get used to new areas.