• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identity, Appearances, Archetypes.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you feel you have a strong sense of who you are or who you wish to be? YES

Does who you are or want to be strongly correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, like a bohemian, indie person, a W.A.S.P, a 'regular Joe', ingenue, etc. NO

Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent? NO

Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices? NOT SURE

Is your personal identity at odds with your personal history? SOMEWHAT

Are you currently attempting to expand your social circle? NO

G

garbage

Oh, man. This is one of the subjects that is constantly on my mind.

Do you feel you have a strong sense of who you are or who you wish to be?
Yes. Who we are and where we're going is the foundation for the scripts and maps in our minds, which in turn drives absolutely everything that we do. Self-improvement is a huge driver for me.

Does who you are or want to be strongly correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, like a bohemian, indie person, a W.A.S.P, a 'regular Joe', ingenue, etc.
That whole 'fearless, caring leader' thing sounds good. I'd like to be as strong, disciplined, and self-forgetting as possible.

Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent?
Outward, physical appearance and dress? Usually 'professional' with a few idiosyncrasies to make myself stand out.

Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices?
They certainly do. It's about half-and-half--I know how to present myself and sometimes 'exaggerate' traits. Conscious choices change our habits and mindsets to some degree, making them even more natural.

Is your personal identity at odds with your personal history?
Sort of. If anything, I suppose that I've had a 'love/hate' relationship with people, society, and community in general--but that I've always paid attention to them.

History doesn't matter. I practically choose to forget it, because I wouldn't want it to anchor me. Same with the current moment--I'm not going to get stuck by my own faults.

Are you currently attempting to expand your social circle?
Yup.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, I do, but my problem area has always tended towards not knowing how who I am fits in with the world and people around me. I have less of an idea of who I am in relation to others and how I interact or want or need to interact with others.

Does who you are or want to be strongly correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, like a bohemian, indie person, a W.A.S.P, a 'regular Joe', ingenue, etc.

I am not sure. Seems like this would be something others who know me would have to categorize me into. I imagine I just fall into the quiet/put-together/Somehow Different archetype.

Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent?

Probably...probably that of not particularly wanting to stand out but at the same time valuing my own style/presentation.

Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices?

I am not sure. Probably elements, yes. I imagine how I dress and how I carry myself translates somewhat accurately into aspects of who I am. An intuitive person could probably make some reasonably accurate assumptions.

However, to this question and the one before, I am facing the possiblity of having to drastically alter an aspect of my presentation, which would in fact mean most people would place me in an 'archetype' that doesn't actually fit who I am. And this is a reason I'm very uncomfortable about it and am trying to wrap my head around it.

I don't think so?

I don't know how to expand my social circle to meet the sorts of people I'd want to meet. I'm not one to join groups.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes in terms of knowing who I wish to be. Who I am, it's a bit difficult to pin down to one thing, many sides to it. It's a matter of which one I am flowing with on a given day. I can't stay in one place of my identity for too long, it feels constraining, or doesn't quite capture everything.

Parts of it correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, but not all of it. Most of it is musical, ideological/philosophical, and dealing with art/time frames I connect with. I don't really fit one specific area. There's the cultural influences involved from my ancestry, but there's also other elements of it. I suppose the art/music/ideas root to the cultures of my ancestry. But others don't. The tribe I correspond best with isn't really something that people would be familiar with though. But it has elements of other archetypes.

A couple of them come to mind. Most people think I look indie, geek-chic.

I suppose. I think the way I present myself would give a context of where my personal identity is, but other elements of it are hidden. They aren't expressed out in the open. Sometimes people get it right, others don't because elements of my own identity aren't really out there in the mainstream, at least parts of it.

Natural/genetic... not sure if that's any influence.

Slightly. There's elements I've attached to that aren't as a direct result of upbringing. But I can trace them back to the cultural aspects of my upbringing (again rooting to ancestry). The paradox is that on one hand it's elements not directly related to personal history, but it can be traced back because personal history influences personal identity in a way.

Depends on what context we're talking about. Not very sociable in the irl context, so I couldn't say that I am.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
This is an odd list of questions, but I wouldn't mind hearing your answers. :)

a)Do you feel you have a strong sense of who you are or who you wish to be?

b)Does who you are or want to be strongly correspond to a cultural archetype or tribe, like a bohemian, indie person, a W.A.S.P, a 'regular Joe', ingenue, etc.

c)Does your appearance resemble a particular tribe or archetype, regardless of intent?

d)Do you think others can get a strong sense of your personal identity by looking at you? If so, which of these visual cues are natural/genetic, which are conscious choices?

e)Is your personal identity at odds with your personal history?

f)Are you currently attempting to expand your social circle?

a) At this point... not so much. Many, many doubts. :/

b) If that answers the question, I currently want to be more or less invisible, but, I sort of fit the "shy geek" archetype.

c) I think my social awkwardness and shyness come across pretty obviously, although I can look (and be) outright aloof.

d) I can seem nerdy (glasses, somewhat unathletic but average build) and pretty much allergic to people (quiet, semi-consciously "in the background", slight nervous slouch, avoiding others' gazes and not saying much about myself). The latter are more conscious than the former.

e) Not really, insofar as I have an identity. Always been the bookish kid in class, although I got dumber with age. :p

f) No. And it will bite me in the nether regions a few years from now, I guess. :(