• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

writing i waant to commit suicide and am depressed on facebook

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I would say they wanted someone to convince them otherwise... Of course people wouldn't necessarily take it seriously so they wouldn't get the advice, or the reprimand, or the boost of morale they needed; however, context is always key.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They want attention.

In the sense that nobody truly wants to commit suicide.

Well.... mostly nobody.

What about the person who doesnt care and wants to play a cruel joke before he goes out. Knowing people are gonna think "nobody truly wants to commit suicide." and then realize WHOLY crap. I believe people can commit suicide as a punishment for someone else.

Ive had someone tell me they wanted to commit suicide. I gave them an option...They commited themself into rehab or I call the cops. They chose the rehab option and yes I followed them and made sure they did it.

W

WALMART

What about the person who doesnt care and wants to play a cruel joke before he goes out. Knowing people are gonna think "nobody truly wants to commit suicide." and then realize WHOLY crap. I believe people can commit suicide as a punishment for someone else.

Ive had someone tell me they wanted to commit suicide. I gave them an option...They commited themself into rehab or I call the cops. They chose the rehab option and yes I followed them and made sure they did it.

That is the kind of attention they want. To be intervened upon.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is the kind of attention they want. To be intervened upon.

oh well, some thing I wont budge on or take chances. I am not gonna be any more responsive to that person, caring, etc. then is normal nor will I go out of my way anymore then I already do for that person. I am not gonna play games and will be the person I have always been. Guess thats what happens when you do that crap to a T.

melomania

MBTI Type
INFP
oh well, some thing I wont budge on or take chances. I am not gonna be any more responsive to that person, caring, etc. then is normal nor will I go out of my way anymore then I already do for that person. I am not gonna play games and will be the person I have always been. Guess thats what happens when you do that crap to a T.

My ex boyfriend was diagnosed as bipolar schizophrenic around age 21. We met when he was 22 and I was 19. He did not disclose this information to me until we had been dating for almost a year. I knew there was something off for a long time but i convinced myself that it was all in my head for a long time until he finally confided in me. My extreme and young INFP self basically guilted me into staying for awhile. Saying things to myself like "you can't abandon him like everyone else has.""it's not his fault", "he has been through traumatic circumstances."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think i would actively say i was suicidal on facebook, but i might consider setting a timer to a suicide note to pop up on my feed with the option to cancel if i change my mind. but its tough to say. and actually i dunno i was brainwashed into thinking people do this for attention, and maybe they are. or maybe they've tried to tell people whats going on and no one fucking listened. and so its one last chance to see if people do give a fuck. but the problem with that is the people's guilt kick in and they get saved. so really if no one's fucking listening to you before go ahead and do it and skip facebook. because if they cared they would've said something.

Chrysanthea

Personal experience: I really don't have anyone I am close enough to feel safe enough to post such revealing information to those that know me... yet don't care. I'd sooner write about my suicide ideations to a stranger on reddit than those I have befriended on facebook, because then I'd be much more likely to be given relatively objective advice on how to proceed, instead of the fake friendliness that is bound to consume my Facebook page (this would most likely cause me to retreat inwards even further, as I don't want such attention to bombard me over the next few days). Though I don't really require outside support to help me conquer my suicidal thoughts, as my suicide ideations themselves tend to be the prime antidote against my theoretical suicide. Meaning that I am someone who becomes motivated and happy by the idea of suicide, which persuades me to actually live longer and temporarily rids me of those thoughts. Sometimes to get through the day (usually necessary at school) I pretend I convince myself I am going to commit suicide the next day, which relieves me of all tensions, anxiety, and inhibitions.

Answer to the question: Anywayyyysss to answer the given question... Yes that would be considered attention seeking. This is because they truly desire to live a good life and the only thing missing from achieving that desire is love. Or maybe some good anal sex.

Chickennugget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It will work out however it is suspossed to. However, don't kill yourself. Things will work out. You'll go far, kid.

Midoughni

I don't think that just because someone wants attention or seems like they're being melodramatic, it means they're not suffering on some level. Sometimes there is a reason why they go to that extent to get attention, even if it is just to remind themselves that the world is not full of apathetic trolls and people who treat them poorly in real life. Maybe they don't have anyone to talk to. I think it's ridiculous to withhold support from someone because they might not have a gun to their head at that moment and we feel like judging them and their problems. Even if you think it's not that serious (when you might not even know what's going on), offering to lend an ear or giving them some perspective on their situation may satisfy them. People think that wanting attention means that you use people to make yourself feel above everyone else or that you never take responsibility for your problems, but sometimes the person just feels deprived of something in the emotional department or feels overwhelmed and is struggling to find some hope to latch onto. You can be depressed and have suicidal thoughts without going through with the act. If you don't care, then why be friends with them?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think that just because someone wants attention or seems like they're being melodramatic, it means they're not suffering on some level. Sometimes there is a reason why they go to that extent to get attention, even if it is just to remind themselves that the world is not full of apathetic trolls and people who treat them poorly in real life. Maybe they don't have anyone to talk to. I think it's ridiculous to withhold support from someone because they might not have a gun to their head at that moment and we feel like judging them and their problems. Even if you think it's not that serious (when you might not even know what's going on), offering to lend an ear or giving them some perspective on their situation may satisfy them. People think that wanting attention means that you use people to make yourself feel above everyone else or that you never take responsibility for your problems, but sometimes the person just feels deprived of something in the emotional department or feels overwhelmed and is struggling to find some hope to latch onto. You can be depressed and have suicidal thoughts without going through with the act. If you don't care, then why be friends with them?

you got to remember its easy for people to judge based on limited info. and they're not gonna change.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are people that I've met who soooooo throw this stuff around. They're sad for more than two days about something, they think they're depressed. They get nervous over a test, they have crippling anxiety.

I guess you can never really know, someone who publicly drops hints or talks a lot about the said disorder could just be crying for help, or they could be starved for attention.

But, seriously, it does piss me off to no end when people make mountains of molehills about serious topics, then say that people need to stop joking about them. That's like telling someone you've known forever you hope they die in a car crash, then bawling your eyes out and not being able to function for hours on end because you heard about someone in the news you didn't even know dying in a car crash.

Noon

Is saying, "I hope something gruesome happens to you," if the you has possibly orchestrated or facilitated something to cause you great pain, better or worse then by comparison.

Not that I am innocent. But I do believe it sometimes might be easier to emote for someone who has no history against you. This is also true of a toxic person having exceeded tolerable levels of toxicity, yes?

It is all pain?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There are people that I've met who soooooo throw this stuff around. They're sad for more than two days about something, they think they're depressed. They get nervous over a test, they have crippling anxiety.

I guess you can never really know, someone who publicly drops hints or talks a lot about the said disorder could just be crying for help, or they could be starved for attention.

But, seriously, it does piss me off to no end when people make mountains of molehills about serious topics, then say that people need to stop joking about them. That's like telling someone you've known forever you hope they die in a car crash, then bawling your eyes out and not being able to function for hours on end because you heard about someone in the news you didn't even know dying in a car crash.

What I have never understood is this - If people can threaten suicide, post pages and pages of cries for help, constantly tell as many people as will listen how depressed they are and how they want to die - why do they not want to talk to a professional about it? Even when that help is given to them or offered to them as easily as possible? If they can talk to total strangers, why won't they talk to someone trained to help? It's like saying - I'M STARVING I'M STARVING I'M STARVING and being given food and not eating it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What I have never understood is this - If people can threaten suicide, post pages and pages of cries for help, constantly tell as many people as will listen how depressed they are and how they want to die - why do they not want to talk to a professional about it? Even when that help is given to them or offered to them as easily as possible? If they can talk to total strangers, why won't they talk to someone trained to help? It's like saying - I'M STARVING I'M STARVING I'M STARVING and being given food and not eating it.

because professionals often can't help cuz the world is still a terrible place.and it's a wastte of time and money. if you're gonna die anyway. all it does is brainwash you and thinking that life is ok, and delays the realization that they are in fact wrong and that you aren't worth anything in the big scheme of things.but i don't expect anyone to actually get that, they believe the lie that every life is precisous when if 90% of us died progress would still happen. and then there's whole issue of am i just being neurotic.

Stek

MBTI Type
InTJ
you think people who write this stuff on facebook are really suicidal and depressed or do they want attention?

They are probably depressed or otherwise emotionally unstable. But they definitely want attention. This is why they write it on facebook.
I think, as long as they ask for attention, they are not fixated on taking their life (yet). If they were, they would have done it.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Struggling people have an inner conflict that is in most cases spiced up with hopelessness or a huge lie but often the mixture of these. I have also visited 2 professionals almost 10 years ago and made my conclusion: These are Egyptian vultures who are trying to tear down the flesh from an already dead man, of course gently and in small pieces to provide resources for longer time. They were just listening to me and then in the end they stuffed their pocket with their sky high hourly fee. One of them even offered a several years of scheduled visit to solve something that actually wasn't the problem. When I asked why would I spend my time/energy/money/resources on that, what problems would it solve she answered nothing. Maybe I'm wrong but my assumption would be that they are searching for desperate and "stupid" people who provide them with constant high income source by spending little time with it. It is actually smart and disgusting at the same time. And it is actually a good business if you chose psychology after high school as a result of lack of other ideas. :-D

Hopelessness can be caused simply by reality. If you have only bad choices and you aren't willing to accept any of those. If you are unable to deal with this then you can easily become dormant.

Another thing that can cause hopelessness is if you lie to yourself. For example: "Working as a 'slave' is a shitty thing that ruins my life but I don't tell this to anyone because I am expected to be a happy person who loves his work (slavery) so I rather lie to others and myself that I love my work." And we could create several other statements with this pattern. If a person lies to him/herself a lot like this instead of eliminating the sources of problems then a lot of big/small things accumulate up very quickly and then you can go the a "professional" who solves none of these for a lot of money. In this case you are lying to yourself, but you still know that it is a lie and you can not escape that.

You can also lie yourself unconsciously. This can happen when you assume that there is no solution to your problem because you don't actually know that it can be solved (even if its difficult). This happens often with lazy people who are unwilling to search for solutions/info and unwilling to take action.

Being honest at least with yourself helps you to eliminate most of the conflicts. Often its very difficult to solve them but dealing with difficult to solve problems is much better than dealing with impossible-to-resolve kind of inner conflicts.

And here is my advice to people who send "depressed" people to "professionals": Don't advice useless stuff that you haven't tried yourself. You can damage these people even further with shitty advice. As an example: After drawing my dark picture for one of the professionals I've visited she advised me to take pills. Pills can devastate your body like hell, just check a few forums where pill-eating people are crying. After the "professional" advised me to take pills I became very angry that lead to a conversion like this:
- Which of my problems will be solved by the pills?
- You will have better mood.
- How does it make my mood better without solving my problems? Does this mean that it make me happier even if someone was hitting nails into my limbs? And why don't we just take narcotics or alcohol that causes less problems than the side effects of antidepressants, you can check out people crying about them on the forums and its impossible to find forum members who praise pills.
- Blah blah blah about neurotransmitters....
- Who will measure the concentration of my neurotransmitters and in which tissues and what concentration will you treat as normal and where?
- I'm not a psychiatrist.
- Well then don't advertise the shit you haven't tried I can tell you that a psychiatrist would also be unable to answer this question and you recommend the pills because your shitty book at the university was probably sponsored by the wrong people just like your studies...

Depression doesn't exist. Crappy situations and difficult/unsolvable problems exist and those have to be addressed by the individual with an honest self-assessment.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
screw this thread. most people should not say things ever. both people who post these things on facebook nor the people judging.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depression doesn't exist. Crappy situations and difficult/unsolvable problems exist and those have to be addressed by the individual with an honest self-assessment.
What is the problem specifically? The fact that you must work to earn a bit of buck to keep living?

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My actual problems (and ex-problems) don't count. Everyone has more or less problems, I wrote my post just as a general advice for people who consider/recommend the services of professionals. Often the solution is not the services of a "professional" and I don't actually know about a situation to which the solution is a "professional". Maybe you can not feed the solution into all kind of people in the form I presented it but even if you have to sugar-coat it, the solution to "depression" is often what I described.