• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INT : The magnificent seven.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ok for those who don't know INT is the abbreviation given to intelligence in D&D. The magnificent seven refers to the theory of there being seven types of intelligence.

With that out of the way what I'm getting at is what words or concepts do you associate with intelligence?

Are they biased towards one personality type or another?

Do we (the few.. the mighty...etc) think that the seven types of intelligence are right (in our own estimations, ie not objectively) and if not then what needs changing?

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ok for those who don't know INT is the abbreviation given to intelligence in D&D. The magnificent seven refers to the theory of there being seven types of intelligence.

With that out of the way what I'm getting at is what words or concepts do you associate with intelligence?

Are they biased towards one personality type or another?

Do we (the few.. the mighty...etc) think that the seven types of intelligence are right (in our own estimations, ie not objectively) and if not then what needs changing?

can you post the seven types?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
1. Linguistic
Enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.
2. Logical-Mathematical
Logical intelligence. Interested in patterns, categories and relationships. Drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.
3. Bodily-Kinesthetic
Process knowledge through bodily sensations. Often athletic, dancers or good at crafts such as sewing or woodworking.
4. Spatial
Tend to think in images and pictures. May be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing, building or daydreaming.
5. Musical
Always singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss. Often discriminating listeners.
6. Interpersonal
Leaders among their peers, who are good at communicating and who seem to understand others' feelings and motives possess interpersonal intelligence.
7. Intrapersonal
May be shy. Very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

(Extra information included is off a website I found. I'm not 100% convinced of it's comprehensiveness (is that even a word?).)
PS. Thanks Jasz. Knew I'd missed something.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i think most of these types are rather passive and speak to comprehension and understanding, not so much to applicability or innovation.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
i think most of these types are rather passive and speak to comprehension and understanding, not so much to applicability or innovation.
Is not innovation and application more a function of wisdom? Intelligence being a tool (under this theory) and wisdom the hand which guides it.

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
i don't really think they are right, cause it would only be so if it encompassed all, so perhaps it might be arrogant/detrimental to think we have discovered every possible way of looking at people in the development of humanity at this point all ready. But that's not to say they might not be good starting points : )

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Linguistic
Enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.
2. Logical-Mathematical
Logical intelligence. Interested in patterns, categories and relationships. Drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.
3. Bodily-Kinesthetic
Process knowledge through bodily sensations. Often athletic, dancers or good at crafts such as sewing or woodworking.
4. Spatial
Tend to think in images and pictures. May be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing, building or daydreaming.
5. Musical
Always singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss. Often discriminating listeners.
6. Interpersonal
Leaders among their peers, who are good at communicating and who seem to understand others' feelings and motives possess interpersonal intelligence.
7. Intrapersonal
May be shy. Very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

(Extra information included is off a website I found. I'm not 100% convinced of it's comprehensiveness (is that even a word?).)
PS. Thanks Jasz. Knew I'd missed something.

I have not cared much for these seven. Or at least making them equal. Bodily-Kinesthetic makes it sound like a self-esteem exercise for jocks.

"You may not understand multiplication, but damn you sure are smart with your body!"

Whatever.

Logical-Mathematical gets us to the moon. Bodily-Kinesthetic is outdone by most animals. Not impressed.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
"You may not understand multiplication, but damn you sure are smart with your body!" Whatever.
Thus "Vogue" remains, for the benighted, just another smash pop single.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I have not cared much for these seven. Or at least making them equal. Bodily-Kinesthetic makes it sound like a self-esteem exercise for jocks.

"You may not understand multiplication, but damn you sure are smart with your body!"

Whatever.

Logical-Mathematical gets us to the moon. Bodily-Kinesthetic is outdone by most animals. Not impressed.
Ah the age old argument of which is more impressive, the aircraft or the pilot, the gun or the shooter. Personally I have admiration for both. Besides don't you think that the person who got to the moon had high BK INT?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
i don't really think they are right, cause it would only be so if it encompassed all, so perhaps it might be arrogant/detrimental to think we have discovered every possible way of looking at people in the development of humanity at this point all ready. But that's not to say they might not be good starting points : )
Exactly. That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean I like the theory but I'm dubious about it. Personally I think it requires a bit of disassembly and poking around before it's inner beauty or errors will become apparent.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah the age old argument of which is more impressive, the aircraft or the pilot, the gun or the shooter. Personally I have admiration for both. Besides don't you think that the person who got to the moon had high BK INT?

Did you know the only reason they put flight controls on the early spacecraft is because the pilots objected?

They probably could've put coma patients on the moon.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Did you know the only reason they put flight controls on the early spacecraft is because the pilots objected?

They have put robotic landers, so yes, they could have put coma patients on the moon.

As for whether bodily/kinesthetic counts, it does take skill to control a body well, so when considering how a brain works and how it gets good at what it does, it should be included as a possible form on intelligence. (Being able to throw, catch, do backflips, juggle, etc. well is different from simply having lots of muscles and flexibility.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They have put robotic landers, so yes, they could have put coma patients on the moon.

As for whether bodily/kinesthetic counts, it does take skill to control a body well, so when considering how a brain works and how it gets good at what it does, it should be included as a possible form on intelligence. (Being able to throw, catch, do backflips, juggle, etc. well is different from simply having lots of muscles and flexibility.)

So is being able to bat .400 the equivalent of winning a Nobel Prize for physics?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

They did but the video was crap so they did it again with people who were awake.
So is being able to bat .400 the equivalent of winning a Nobel Prize for physics?
Why not?

I can't hope to channel the full weight of my body into a punch but there are those with really high intelligence in BK who can. I'd imagine that all those little Shaolin kids are quite high in that score and such skill is deserving of as much respect as being able to figure out the square root of -1.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry, I agree with MacGuffin. It seems to me that a bunch of touchy-feely psychologists got together at a World Self Esteem Promotion Convention and tried to think of enough strengths so that everyone would have some kind of high intelligence. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, there's no reason to pander to egos and call them 'intelligences'.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sorry, I agree with MacGuffin. It seems to me that a bunch of touchy-feely psychologists got together at a World Self Esteem Promotion Convention and tried to think of enough strengths so that everyone would have some kind of high intelligence. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, there's no reason to pander to egos and call them 'intelligences'.
What else do you call the mental ability to co-ordinate your actions and not theorise in a 3 dimensional environment but move in a 3 dimensional environment?

Basically what your saying is that concept is all that matters and reality (which is outside the head) is nothing to do with intelligence (which is inside the head). That's a classic viewpoint for the type's you are but that's not really true otherwise there would be no difference in how co-ordinated people are unless of course you think it's based on nerve response speeds or something.

I think that what their doing is defining intelligence as a measure of a particular capability of the brain. As the signals for moving your own body are processed in the brain (though there is argument about some sub brain in the spinal cord) then surely the relative strength and capability of a brain in that particular area can be expressed as intelligence.

If not then what is it?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The one facet which I have problems envisaging is musical.

What use is musical intelligence other than within the tight field of music itself?

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ

Whatever.

Bodily-Kinesthetic is an intelligence. As it says it is not just playing football (which actually does take skill and intelligence of a sort).

It also mentions sewing, woodworking, dancing, etc.

I have very little bodily-kinesthetic intelligence (I do score high on the ones you value such as Linguistics, Logical and Spatial) so I am not even espousing my views to defend myself.

There are so many kinds of intelligence. I cannot fix my car and my ex-husband can (he knows a lot about fixing/building - he teaches welding). Does that mean I am not intelligent? Of course not. He can rewire the electricity in his house (and other things along those lines).

I can write well. I have an ear for languages. I pick up certain things much faster than others. Does that mean I am more intelligent? Of course not.

It is being proven more and more that there is not only the different kinds intelligence that has been described but also there is emotional intelligence. Without a certain level of emotional intelligence, one can be a genius linguistically or otherwise and fail to achive.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
They are different. One is not "better" than the other. Can you bat a .400 or juggle (or whatever you thing is inferiour to your superior intelligence) and if not, why? I mean, if it's so easy and all...