• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes people "super-expose" their lives on social networks?

Rosabel

Boredom.

The need to go full retard. Manifests in different ways and frequencies, and don't fool yourself - it exists in every human.

Boredom.

Boredom + need to have an identity + desire to bond with people who share the same opinions.

Conclusion: FB = feeling bored. :laugh:

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also think that people are more isolated now than ever before. We have a longer history of living within a small tribe for generations. Now we move about in a society larger than our comprehension. Most friendships and even relationships are fleeting for many. People stop talking to their families, and older people never hear from their children. People are vulnerable to buy the latest product to make them sexy so people will gravitate towards them, they sign up for seminars on how to win at business and love, TV preachers with unconvincing tears manipulate spiritual motivations, and all the while we drive faster and faster cars. I think a continual sense of existential isolation underlies our living and people's attempts to connect are often the social equivalent of the nutritional benefits of french fries.

Totally... I even have a sister who I rarely ever talk to anymore ... She texts occasionally... Just odd things but I usually hear about her life on Facebook. She just did a video for the flaming lips and I heard about it on Facebook...wth is going on here.

It's the same with her and the rest of the family.. She doesn't even pick up when my mother calls but will answer a text.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also I'm friends with like maybe 5 or so people from here on there that I've never met irl but I know everyone else have actually been friends with them awhile and hung out and don't mind them knowing things... Actually with the exception of maybe a handful of old hs friends tht I'll likely never see again.

I don't get why they even requested me.

I totally don't understand wanting friends on there you don't actually know.

Even with all of that I rarely share anything private at all.

So to expose your whole self to a bunch of strangers is totally bizarre to me.

Rosabel

For me, some people living this digital era are even losing their human sides, sense of being and self, and disconnecting too much from essential things that they shouldn't.

They became only an image and a "product"... it's really sad. I wonder where it's going if generalize.

EDIT: But it's only ~extreme~ cases of bad use of social networks!

Last edited:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
seems lame on Facebook, but irl it gets rid of the people that don't give a fuck about you so you can focus on the ones that matter

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait what does? ^^ I missed something.

wolfy

awsm
I don't really see it as a problem. The people I see around me treat it as something you design and put out there. That's the way I see it too. I see the digital age as creating more connection than less.

wolfy

awsm
Life has always been filled with friends and acquaintances of varying degrees. Social media is just a fun way to express yourself, not find deep meaning in life.

I think you're exaggerating.

Rosabel

Life has always been filled with friends and acquaintances of varying degrees. Social media is just a fun way to express yourself, not find deep meaning in life.

Nah, not really... I agree with you. I see social media as a type of entertainment, see acquaintances etc. I'm talking just about when the use of this kind of media affects the life of people in a unhealthy way.
Deep meaning in life we find with other ways! :)

wolfy

awsm
Nah, not really... I agree with you. I see social media as a type of entertainment, see acquaintances etc. I'm talking just about when the use of this kind of media affects the life of people in a unhealthy way.
Deep meaning in life we find with other ways, I know it! :)

I guess people that get hooked on doing it to the point it interferes with experience of life. But that in itself is difficult thing to measure. I like media and enjoy playing with it, but others sometimes complain I do too much. But it is the same kind of complaint as when I get involved in other little pet projects. And making something and putting it out there is something also.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
This behavior is indicative of modern American life.
Behold the power of instant self-gratification.

And let us fear the combined might of unwavering solipsism and conformity.

Wrapped in a neatly packaged digital bundle to share with the masses and hide how ugly we really are.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No shit :)

Personally I think this would have worked even better...

Right now, I'm sitting in front of my computer but am kind of bored. I just had an avocado sandwich. I'm thinking about taking a nap. I will probably do that soon. We're going out to a restaurant tonight and to play bocci ball so that will be fun. It was raining most of the day but seems to have stopped. I just bought some camping chairs and they're really great. Here's my dog. So cute isn't it?

800px-NCI_Visuals_Food_Hot_Dog.jpg

I also think that people are more isolated now than ever before. We have a longer history of living within a small tribe for generations. Now we move about in a society larger than our comprehension. Most friendships and even relationships are fleeting for many. People stop talking to their families, and older people never hear from their children. People are vulnerable to buy the latest product to make them sexy so people will gravitate towards them, they sign up for seminars on how to win at business and love, TV preachers with unconvincing tears manipulate spiritual motivations, and all the while we drive faster and faster cars. I think a continual sense of existential isolation underlies our living and people's attempts to connect are often the social equivalent of the nutritional benefits of french fries.

Only tied at bocci ball. Boo hiss.

Fia - You are pretty much right and we don't want to think about these things. I like those fast cars and also french fries. I will say this - I have never understood how people isolate themselves from their families over old grudges or other similar things.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I see a lot of people having the need of:

- Saying every little thing that happens in their lives on FB;
- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quote and tag their bf/gf;
- Posting photos of every little thing of their day to day lives;
- Expressing opinions that doesn't even matter;

Attention-whoring? Ego-feeding? The need of feeling important (the 15 minutes of fame)? What kind of psychological need causes this?

Have you checked out "lamebook"? Amazing.

I think this is generational. "Kids these days" meaning 25 and under grew up on the Internet so there's a different sense of propriety and privacy vs public. It's normal to have very private convos in text amidst a full chat room or whatnot. Kinda blows me away because unlike in a crowded cafe everyone can read cry clearly what you are saying and conversations cannot be truly "simultaneous"

But in general if you have a sense that you live online or amidst a social network than yeah, mundane and even "pwrsonL" stuff is meant to be shared.

Lark

I agree with that.

Like I said before its maybe something which vexs people who've grown up with it being a major facet of their life and existence.

I think maybe when I was growing up I got as annoyed about things printed in the newspapers or on news on TV, then I realised it didnt make a difference and if I didnt pay any attention to it it didnt effect how I felt one way or the other. People should think about what they pay attention to and the fact that its voluntary, you dont need to and if its going to adversely effect your state of mind or mood why would you?

T

The Iron Giant

I deleted my Facebook account about a year ago and moved to Google+. I had whittled my friends list on Facebook down from almost 300 to about 40 beforehand. I don't miss it at all, but every once in a while there will be a contest or something that requires a Facebook post or something for entry. That's kind of a pain. Everyone assumes everyone else has a Facebook account these days. Another annoyance is when I learn of something significant that happened in my family (such as an illness or something) and it's been a while, and someone goes, "well, I posted it on Facebook..."

I kind of think the oversharing is part of what Facebook is about. I find the attention whoring a little obnoxious, but I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself as well. As it is, I find it gratifying to post pics of my daughter on Google+ (in the circle I have for relatives and close friends who care about her at all of course) and see comments and +1s on that. It's like Facebook that way: it's a way to keep up with each other socially.

Lark

I deleted my Facebook account about a year ago and moved to Google+. I had whittled my friends list on Facebook down from almost 300 to about 40 beforehand. I don't miss it at all, but every once in a while there will be a contest or something that requires a Facebook post or something for entry. That's kind of a pain. Everyone assumes everyone else has a Facebook account these days. Another annoyance is when I learn of something significant that happened in my family (such as an illness or something) and it's been a while, and someone goes, "well, I posted it on Facebook..."

I kind of think the oversharing is part of what Facebook is about. I find the attention whoring a little obnoxious, but I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself as well. As it is, I find it gratifying to post pics of my daughter on Google+ (in the circle I have for relatives and close friends who care about her at all of course) and see comments and +1s on that. It's like Facebook that way: it's a way to keep up with each other socially.

It definitely is and I've know people who contacted re:work or family who couldnt have contacted me any other way really.