• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Women Who Don't Like Other Women

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Thoughts?

I'm referring to statements like:

"I don't get along with girls."

"Girls are too catty." / "Girls are too dramatic."

"I don't like girls."

"Girls are jealous of me."

Tends to irritate the hell out of me. I usually see it as projection.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about, "I tend to have a lot of guy friends."? Or "I'm just one of the guys."?

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
What about, "I tend to have a lot of guy friends."? Or "I'm just one of the guys."?

Those comments make me suspicious too, but it would depend on the type of girl who is saying them. For instance, if my friend were a tom boy and said that, I wouldn't think she was a woman-hater.

Edit: Necessarily.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to think like that until I realized that it wasn't really true I just hated a certain type of woman. The type of woman most prevalent in TV, movies, books ect. As I became less anti-social (and moved to a much different area culturally) I realized that it wasn't really "women" I disliked more just the people and environment i had been around. I know quite a few women now who I really like. All women are different.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I used to think like that until I realized that it wasn't really true I just hated a certain type of woman. The type of woman most prevalent in TV, movies, books ect. As I became less anti-social (and moved to a much different area culturally) I realized that it wasn't really "women" I disliked more just the people and environment i had been around. I know quite a few women now who I really like. All women are different.

I am also guilty of thinking like that, when I was younger. Then I realized I was just weird and didn't get along with most men, either. And to be honest, cool women intimidate me more, so I tend to be more shy with them than with men. Therefore, more male friends.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am also guilty of thinking like that, when I was younger. Then I realized I was just weird and didn't get along with most men, either. And to be honest, cool women intimidate me more, so I tend to be more shy with them than with men. Therefore, more male friends.

Yeah I agree I'm more of a misanthrope than a misogynist.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thoughts?

"I don't like girls."

Most times, it is projection. I just let it go. It's their insecurity. Not my problem.

Being something of a tomboy myself [having been mistaken for an INTP &/or male here & in Ventrilo], I don't always see this as projection. I can see very easily how this can be genuine. I moved a lot growing up, and my brother was my best friend. His friends were my friends, and naturally, I feel like I make friends more easily with males, like on some level relate to them better. This isn't universal, as I do have female friends - one of my closest friends is an INTP female. But overall, my other close friends have always happened to be male. Hard to articulate the feeling. And while I make jokes that I'm a 12yr old boy inside, I do realize I'm not ''one of the guys,'' and despite my conditioning and exposure, I am neurologically & anatomically different from males, and I am aware of this..

It's almost like I forget about gender entirely when I just connect with a friend.. it's just not a factor, I guess? :thinking:

[MENTION=16164]Wolfie[/MENTION] has it right.. it really depends on the person saying it. I give the benefit of the doubt because I figure I can't be the only weirdo chick in the world who happens to relate more readily to males.. I'm no snowflake. I become suspicious if those words ''i have a lot of guy friends'' - ''i'm just one of the guys'' are followed by incessant bitching about their own gender. It's just dumb, and they more than likely don't get along more easily with males than they do females.. they probably have trouble getting along with everyone, on some level, because they project their insecurity onto others, and express needless animosity toward total strangers.

Misogynistic humor cracks me up, though. Especially around militant feminists.
Blame my xstp shadow.. it's an evil little troll.

I'll stop rambling here.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Most times, it is projection. I just let it go. It's their insecurity. Not my problem.

Being something of a tomboy myself [having been mistaken for an INTP &/or male here & in Ventrilo], I don't always see this as projection. I can see very easily how this can be genuine. I moved a lot growing up, and my brother was my best friend. His friends were my friends, and naturally, I feel like I make friends more easily with males, like on some level relate to them better. This isn't universal, as I do have female friends - one of my closest friends is an INTP female. But overall, my other close friends have always happened to be male. Hard to articulate the feeling. And while I make jokes that I'm a 12yr old boy inside, I do realize I'm not ''one of the guys,'' and despite my conditioning and exposure, I am neurologically & anatomically different from males, and I am aware of this..

It's almost like I forget about gender entirely when I just connect with a friend.. it's just not a factor, I guess? :thinking:

[MENTION=16164]Wolfie[/MENTION] has it right.. it really depends on the person saying it. I give the benefit of the doubt because I figure I can't be the only weirdo chick in the world who happens to relate more readily with males.. I'm no snowflake. I become suspicious if those words ''i have a lot of guy friends'' - ''i'm just one of the guys'' are followed by incessant bitching about their own gender. It's just dumb, and they more than likely don't get along more easily with males than they do females.. they probably have trouble getting along with everyone, on some level, because they project their insecurity onto others, and express needless animosity toward total strangers.

Misogynistic humor cracks me up, though. Especially around militant feminists.
Blame my xstp shadow.. it's an evil little troll.

I'll stop rambling here.

reminds be of a concert I went to. It was a local indie/pop/punk band who are know for outrageous stage antics and colorful mini shorts. I was there to see them but it was like a campus feminist event. Anyways the frontman, in an attempt to get a college crowded hyped, introduced one of the songs with the words "Ahlll right now everbody. This next song gets the bitches excited!!!". I don't think he meant any harm but the crowd went nuts (in a bad way) and I laughed long. and. hard.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
reminds be of a concert I went to. It was a local indie/pop/punk band who are know for outrageous stage antics and colorful mini shorts. I was there to see them but it was like a campus feminist event. Anyways the frontman, in an attempt to get a college crowded hyped, introduced one of the songs with the words "Ahlll right now everbody. This next song gets the bitches excited!!!". I don't think he meant any harm but the crowd went nuts (in a bad way) and I laughed long. and. hard.

:hifive:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to think like that until I realized that it wasn't really true I just hated a certain type of woman.

Yeah, it took me until university (maybe even grad school) to find women that I actually related to in any way. Even to this day I don't have any very close female friends - haven't met anyone female that I've been comfortable enough with to really connect, I guess. I do have a fair number of regular friends and acquaintances who are female, though.

I'm not really sure why. I don't hate women at all, I just don't fit in well with the "girlfriends" dynamic. I vastly prefer the "bros" dynamic, or as close to it as my male friends will allow.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, it took me until university (maybe even grad school) to find women that I actually related to in any way. Even to this day I don't have any very close female friends - haven't met anyone female that I've been comfortable enough with to really connect, I guess.

I'm not really sure why. I don't hate women at all, I just don't fit in well with the "girlfriends" dynamic. I vastly prefer the "bros" dynamic, or as close to it as my male friends will allow.

Yeah I think I prefer bro style of friends more too. I like trading insults for fun, I like going and doing activities, I don't like talking about emotions, I like pranks. I had to be a part of a small group of women that was a very stereotypically "girlfriends" dynamic and it was soooo boring. All the constant relationships talk, not place for jokes that were actually funny and the constant chorus of "I love your outfit/hair/nails/ect. So pretty!". Nice the first time but after a while it just seems like something they just say and I wonder why it matters so much. (I didn't get many of those though because there were very sorority style and I was more.........grungy?)

But I don;t see that as a clear cut gender line. I have a male INFP friend who basically wants to operate like a girlfriend. Me and his wife are BFFs and have a very bro dynamic and he has a habit of getting his feelings hurt because he doesn't understand that our "insults" are a veiled way of saying "You are my friend and I value you deeply". He feels rebuffed when I don't want to share emotionally with him.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so

I used to feel this way. But eventually I discovered the relaxed nature of men's relationships didn't really suit me once I actually needed a friend. Not to say men are incapable of giving emotional support, but women are (typically) much better at it. I don't usually need it, but when I need it, a female makes an invaluable friend. In my opinion, a relationship with a male can never quite compare with a relationship with another woman.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
But I don;t see that as a clear cut gender line. I have a male INFP friend who basically wants to operate like a girlfriend. Me and his wife are BFFs and have a very bro dynamic and he has a habit of getting his feelings hurt because he doesn't understand that our "insults" are a veiled way of saying "You are my friend and I value you deeply". He feels rebuffed when I don't want to share emotionally with him.

Exactly. In a different way, male dynamics can be just as superficial as a stereotypical female one. My old male best friend and I had a very "bro" type friendship, but he was super super whiny at times and would want to talk incessantly about his relationships, moreso than me, and more than any of my female friends.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Yeah, it's usually mommy issues being projected onto other women. Not in all cases, though.

rav3n

The mentality I can't stand is the nice game where women try to out-nice each other, the one with all the false modesty to solicit compliments. These are the passive-aggressive knife wielders. Thank goodness there are women who don't play this revolting game and when I meet one, there's a distinctive click of understanding!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Having spent a lot of time with younger males as a result of having brothers with multitudes of friends around all the time, I can say with confidence that the male group dynamic seems to be just as fraught with power struggles, passive-aggression, manipulation, hurt feelings, and over-sensitivity as any female one I've ever experienced. The only difference is that there are no tearful confrontations or dramatic make-ups like you see in the movies with "girlfriends," but then again, none of my female friendships were ever like that, so...

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
The mentality I can't stand is the nice game where women try to out-nice each other, the one with all the false modesty to solicit compliments. These are the passive-aggressive knife wielders. Thank goodness there are women who don't play this revolting game and when I meet one, there's a distinctive click of understanding!

Yes. Growing up, my best friend would always present a super angelic face to others, and I didn't bother, so as a result everyone thought I was the bitchy one and she was the nice one, when the reverse was true.

F

figsfiggyfigs

People tend to gravitate and get along with individuals that share similarities such as priorities, intresests, etc.
So when a women says that she does not understand most females she's around, it is likely that she either can not relate to them because there are no valuable similiaties they share, or strives to seek such a segregation.
I have no issue with any women that say the quotes in your OP. I do have an issue with women who use this attitude as an excuse or a reason to isolate herself or others. It is especially annoying when they pride themselves on keeping it this way and have it a default mindset.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thoughts?

"I don't like girls."

Yeah, I agree - projection. Occasionally (very occasionally) someone may really just become the target of catty women without doing anything on their side - but generally I think it means you're being drama/catty/jealous/etc yourself.

EDIT: I've just never gravitated to the kind of women/"girlfriends" who are like this. I mean, there have been a few here and there but generally we haven't become proper friends, or haven't really stayed friends, or we're friends but in small doses. My "girlfriends" are generally low-drama and loyal.

Friendships with men I've found much more fraught in one way or another, but that's another story.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those comments make me suspicious too, but it would depend on the type of girl who is saying them. For instance, if my friend were a tom boy and said that, I wouldn't think she was a woman-hater.

Edit: Necessarily.

I grew up with five boys approx the same age as me in a parent set up creche, i knew all of them from since around the time they were born and we often slept in the same cots etc.
I pretty much was one of the boys since i had short hair till i was six or seven, usually wore trousers/shorts and tee's and generally did things which are considered more 'male'. Like bmx-ing for example.

I have always felt more comfortable around males though i did opt for longer hair and skirts when i was given the choice.

I found over the years that girly girls i just don't have much in common with. I am very feminine (aparently) but definately get on with men better in the larger picture.

I have nurtured/fostered several friendships with women in more recent years and find that i get on with women who are more outspoken, strong willed and have similar moral views... I do have several very good friendships now with women but initially i had to fight to make them work.

EDIT: I'm curious as to why the OP is concerned with this. Do you see it as some kind of ism or do you like people to fit nicely into gender defined roles...or something else?

Was there a specific instance/group of instances etc that lead you to start the thread?