• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Losing Yourself" in a fictional character can affect you.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/exptaking.htm

No not in a bad way. It seems, if you get into certain characters, you will often unconsciously take in certain characteristics of that character (if albeit, momentarily.)

While this study was done with books, I can't see why it wouldn't work with other mediums.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That happens to me quite often. I've always thought that I tend to act a little bit more like the characters I like. An interesting study.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Really? I should be way more bad ass by now...

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really? I should be way more bad ass by now...

That is why I said momentarily. ;)

Think about learning the "moral of a story," and then, think of maybe a few days later and the moral that you learned goes away.

For some people, some characters actually get attached for long stretches of time and we unconsciously take in certain characteristics of that character.

G

Ginkgo

Oddly, it's an easier thing to be responsible for than the distasteful traits you share with real people.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some people, some characters actually get attached for long stretches of time and we unconsciously take in certain characteristics of that character.
I have experienced this, though it was conscious, but not deliberate.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no doubts that this exists, havent consciously experienced it though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Happens to me with movies all the time. :yes:

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
random: after reading this thread, had a dream where i was a character from a book im reading XD