• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What causes happiness?

How happy are you?

• 10 - About as happy as a person can be

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 9 - I'm very happy

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 8 - The significant majority of time, I'm very happy

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • 7 - I'm pretty happy but not always

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • 6 - I'm happy about some things in my life but there are things that I'm unhappy about

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • 5. I'm not happy or unhappy - just in the middle

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 4. I'm more unhappy than happy

• 3. I'm mostly unhappy

• 2. I'm pretty darn unhappy

• 1. I'm very unhappy

• Total voters

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Happiness is interesting... I find that more than anything, it's a mindset, a choice. One can choose to be happy through some pretty dire situations, or one can choose to be unhappy through things that aren't really a big deal at all. And of course, I mean "happiness" in a broad sense-- overall satisfaction with one's life-- rather than the situational, day-to-day mood. I chose 8-- I'm overall very happy, but that doesn't mean I don't have days when I'm just down, or that I get sad when sad things happen. But even during those times, I would still say that though I may be sad at the moment, overall, I am happy.

At the moment I have a pretty significant source of stress and sadness, but I don't let it take over my life. I've had a few days lately that weren't very happy, but all in all, I've got it pretty good, so I'm not going to let one aspect of my life (even though it's a huge one) negate everything that is good in my life.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Huh, I just posted in another thread claiming that I have no problem telling people that I'm happy. But, now that I think about it, I'm never happy. I just don't have a state that I associate as being happy. I think happy is what other people call me when I'm feeling any number of other seemingly positive feelings. I wonder if that makes sense to anybody else.

I picked ' I'm happy about some things in my life but there are things that I'm unhappy about', because it seemed most germaine to what the OP was asking than my application of the word happy.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with the glance I had of the original post, BUT I think happiness comes from perspective largely. Perspective alone is not enough, but I think it is indispensable. How you interpret a situation is based on how you FEEL about the situation. So, if you have a "negative" experience it is usually interpreted that way because you view it as emblematic of something larger. It has INHERENT meaning. For example, people react very differently when they receive the same insult even if it is accurate for both people. The reason is that the person who gets annoyed views it as something that is UNCHANGEABLE about THEMSELVES. If instead you have the perspective that this is just a situation or experience and is not inherently negative and that you have the power to change it then you will not react in the same manner.

edit:

just read the full OP lol. I'd rate myself an 8 maybe a 9. I try to avoid perfectionism by egotistically rating myself 10s though lol

ygolo

My termites win
I just saw this guy at church today. He talked about what causes us to be happy.

The key points are:

Happiness is a result or outcome of other things.

We get 10% from things external to ourselves. If we get a thing we want, we get a short-term bump. Examples are when we buy something or get that relationship we wanted. After that, we go back to a set point of who we are as a person.

The other 90% consists of two things:
1. your biological makeup
2. a set of life practices – the way we live leads to the end result

So, happiness to a significant degree is a result of the way you live. The life practices he mentions are:
1. Happy people are connectors vs. those who are detached. Love and connection creates “wiring” in your brain that makes you happier. It’s about sharing vulnerabilities and being there for others.
2. Happy people are givers. We share something that we have.
3. Happy people think differently than unhappy people. Unhappy thinkers explain outcomes based on something they lack in themselves (they personalize things). Then they extend this one event pervasively – that everything is bad. Then they feel like what just happened is permanent - that things will always be that way. 90% of our thinking patterns are the same from one day to the next. The way to break out of this is to observe and have focused attention on how we are thinking and follow that by action – to change those negative thought patterns.
4. Happy people have goals. We need to be pushing ourselves to the next thing that makes us uncomfortable. Fear is one of the most damaging thought patterns. He said that conquering our fears is very important.
5. Happy people have faith. People that have a strong spiritual orientation that give them meaning and purpose are happier. One study shows a 7-year difference in life span from this one thing.

Thoughts on this? On a scale from 1 to 10, how happy are you?

Almost all of this was covered in Seligman's book that came out 7 years ago (and has discussed on this forum a few times).

The result that fear is damaging is not consistent with the research I've read. Fear can be good or bad depending on how based in reality those fears are.

There is this notion of prevention vs. promotion as a means of achievement. Prevention tends to be more of a motivator as we are further away from our goal, or in most danger of reaching it (It is a Fear vs. Calm emotional dynamic). Promotion tends to be more of a motivator as we get closer to out goal (It is a disillusion vs. excitement emotional dynamic)

Other things to mention are that there are different types of happiness.
1) Believing you have a pleasant life (this leads to good moods, etc)
2) Being engaged in life. (this leads to things like flow)
3) Finding meaning in your activities. (this is knowing how your strengths and how they lead you to good purposes in your life)

Other things to take note of:
1) Happiness can lead to complacency (especially that of type 1)
2) Happy people have trouble empathizing with the less happy (again, especially those happy the first way)
3) Unhappy people can be more objective than those who are happy (specifically because of the detachment)
4) Fear of loss is a valid motivator when based in reality (eg. wanting to keep your children safe from legitimate dangers. Not hurting yourself while working with chemicals, etc.)

My own observations:
1) Happiness is often used as a means of dismissing change for the better.
2) Happiness is used as an excuse to maintain cliques and outcast those who make us uncomfortable.
3) People will ignore reality if the reality upsets them.

EDIT: I am not sure how many of these questionnaires have been posted in the online tests section, but I think early versions of many of these have:
http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/questionnaires.aspx

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My own observations:
1) Happiness is often used as a means of dismissing change for the better.
2) Happiness is used as an excuse to maintain cliques and outcast those who make us uncomfortable.
3) People will ignore reality if the reality upsets them.

EDIT: I am not sure how many of these questionnaires have been posted in the online tests section, but I think early versions of many of these have:
http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/questionnaires.aspx

Interesting post and quizzes there.

So, are you personally happy or do you think it is unimportant to be happy?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Mindfulness, which is learning to let go of what is unimportant and to get in touch with what is.

ygolo

My termites win
Interesting post and quizzes there.

So, are you personally happy or do you think it is unimportant to be happy?

It depends on what you mean by happiness. If you mean a hedonistic sort of happiness (IOW, being in a good mood most of the time), I am neither terribly unhappy nor happy right now. I only care about my mood in so far as that it is not a hindrance.

If you mean engaged in life. I am much more so now that I was even when I joined this forum. I anticipate that things will improve here, and I have a pretty good idea how to do this.

If you mean finding meaning and purpose in what I do, I am working this, and I have some ideas I am trying out. In the meantime, I find the search for meaning, meaningful in itself.

G

garbage

Well, others mentioned perspective and gratitude. I'd like to throw in "wisdom," which might be synonymous with the former and probably leads to the latter. Realism and balance come to mind, too.

Truly internalizing notions such as
We get 10% from things external to ourselves. If we get a thing we want, we get a short-term bump. Examples are when we buy something or get that relationship we wanted. After that, we go back to a set point of who we are as a person.
and
he talked about habitual thought patterns and just having awareness of those patterns is very helpful.
helps us remind ourselves that true contentedness is internal.

Worrying about stuff that's outside of our control, especially the external stuff, doesn't help, either.

:popc1:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What causes happiness? :thinking:

Embracing every moment of the life you have been given, making the most of all you can, doing no harm, and pulling others up with you as you aspire to reach the summit of self actualization. :yes:

Sounds like a happy day to me! :happy:

:solidarity:

-Alex

Little_Sticks

I just want to comment. Didn't watch the video and don't really want to.

1. Happy people are connectors vs. those who are detached. Love and connection creates “wiring” in your brain that makes you happier. It’s about sharing vulnerabilities and being there for others.

As long as we aren't equating detached with introversion, then this seems true to me. I appear detached, but I think most people that identify as introverted would argue they are attaching themselves greatly by being introverted. Perhaps detached here means introversion without attachment.

As long as we aren't talking about material things, but giving something emotionally to connect with another, then I agree.

3. Happy people think differently than unhappy people. Unhappy thinkers explain outcomes based on something they lack in themselves (they personalize things). Then they extend this one event pervasively – that everything is bad. Then they feel like what just happened is permanent - that things will always be that way. 90% of our thinking patterns are the same from one day to the next. The way to break out of this is to observe and have focused attention on how we are thinking and follow that by action – to change those negative thought patterns.

I don't know if it's fair to categorize all unhappy thinkers as personalizing things. I guess if you want to say that negative thinkers tend to set themselves up for unhappiness, yeah sure. But you can have an unhappy thinker that doesn't personalize things that is due to that 10%. Being poor and not being able to take care of your physical needs, for instance, is one example.

4. Happy people have goals. We need to be pushing ourselves to the next thing that makes us uncomfortable. Fear is one of the most damaging thought patterns. He said that conquering our fears is very important.

Maybe. But fear is there to protect us. There's definitely something to be said about conquering your fears as a person, but that shit is a painful dissociative process; it is. The personal self - one must dissociative from themselves, as they are, if they want to associate themselves into something else. I know it sounds silly for me to say it this way, but if you don't know what I'm saying, then you probably don't understand what he means by this.

5. Happy people have faith. People that have a strong spiritual orientation that give them meaning and purpose are happier. One study shows a 7-year difference in life span from this one thing.

This sounds ignorant. Because the word faith can include an assumption, people that have faith are sometimes greatly in the wrong and do harm because of it. But people that know however, know something deeper about life, something substantial, that's more than a word can convey. And they don't require that you understand, nor will they use it against you or to rationalize/categorize you or tell you how to live. But they can use it to improve the overall well-being of the world around them. And they don't have faith. They have something else.

I hope he's talking about the later. But given that he doesn't recognize the distinction, it sounds like he's selling religion to people through statistics. And I don't think we need to get into the epistemological problems of statistical correlations.

Isn't such a question a bit ironic? If I said my well-being improves by not recognizing the idea of being happy or unhappy (because it also focuses my thought on ideas of "I" instead of "everything"), do you think you would have any idea what I meant?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I agree with [MENTION=825]ygolo[/MENTION].

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
For me there's a difference between happiness and contentment, a feeling of happiness and a deep rooted sense of well being and joy. I am a naturally cheerful and optimistic person. I am a master of reframing, I am militantly hopeful and I refuse to give on some things and some people on principle. Overall I am content on some basic levels (like maslows hierarchy of needs) and Ican experience happiness in the moment. Overall I am grateful as objectively I have tangible things to be grateful for that not everyone has.

However contentment means boredom in this case. I have long term goals I want to work on and chronic frustrations so Id say Im between 6 and 7 depending on how you look st it. I think others who know me would say I'm happy and guess I'm at least 7 or 8. I'm still cheerful though. Perhaps that's more a character trait. :p

I dated someone who was essentially depressive and tortured at their core. That sounds corny but it's true. 10 years of therapy with a hack counselor plus a shrink plus meds didn't really make a dent. Though there were times that made her happy relatively speaking and people looking from outside in from a distance are clueless about how deep and intrinsic her personal darkness is. I agree with biology or makeup habing a hand in it. Some people are essentially depressive, some are buoyant and that runs the gamut. Just like how some people are laid back and some are serious.

I don't think biology is destiny though or necessarily limits our capacity for happiness or love. I think given our brain wiring and chemicals we can all experience higher levels. It will just give us different particular challenges and will take on a different cast. Its hard to quantify happiness or lived experience...

I'm rambling now :p

AhI just read Ygolos post as well. I like where's he's going with the discussion and the definition or types of happiness and how security plays into it. Meaning a facade of happiness can be used to mask Insecurity or people become focus on the trappings of happiness and stop attending to the actual factors that make us happy. Or something.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Much is made of "happiness" and how others are going about it wrong (especially in Christian teaching: "people use riches, fame, sex, leisure, etc. but don't be envious of them; they're not happy!". But I think much of the strife for material things and pleasure is not so much about "happiness" in itself; it's just a survival instinct gone off kilter. Happiness is just the emotional reward for meeting those needs. Then, it becomes an end in itself.
I agree with the glance I had of the original post, BUT I think happiness comes from perspective largely. Perspective alone is not enough, but I think it is indispensable. How you interpret a situation is based on how you FEEL about the situation. So, if you have a "negative" experience it is usually interpreted that way because you view it as emblematic of something larger. It has INHERENT meaning. For example, people react very differently when they receive the same insult even if it is accurate for both people. The reason is that the person who gets annoyed views it as something that is UNCHANGEABLE about THEMSELVES. If instead you have the perspective that this is just a situation or experience and is not inherently negative and that you have the power to change it then you will not react in the same manner.
Great point. This is what I'm grappling with now, in mid-life crisis. Finding out that I suffer from a lifelong deficit of feeling valued or desirable (starting with father, and very unconscious), that is what really leads to the "three P's" as he calls it (Personal, Pervasive, Permanent). AS, with its sensory overload, also makes these things seem larger than life.
For me there's a difference between happiness and contentment, a feeling of happiness and a deep rooted sense of well being and joy. I am a naturally cheerful and optimistic person. I am a master of reframing, I am militantly hopeful and I refuse to give on some things and some people on principle. Overall I am content on some basic levels (like maslows hierarchy of needs) and Ican experience happiness in the moment. Overall I am grateful as objectively I have tangible things to be grateful for that not everyone has.

Interesting. I would think that happiness is to contentment, as what sadness is to anger.
In this book, http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Healing-Emotions-Conrad-Barrs/dp/0882709666 the outlines 11 primary emotions, in pairs of opposites, except for anger, "the ultimate emotion", which they claimed has no opposite. I would think this "contentment" or "peace" would fit, though they looked at that, and concluded it was not really an emotion (but rather a "spiritual state").
Sadness is a sense-negative reaction that is unique to humans (“intellect” —“intuitive” or “contemplative” mind — “heart“), while anger is "utilitarian" and shared with animals (“working” or “discursive” mind). So likewise, happiness and contentment will be their sense-positive counterparts.
The life practices he mentions are:
As long as we aren't equating detached with introversion, then this seems true to me. I appear detached, but I think most people that identify as introverted would argue they are attaching themselves greatly by being introverted. Perhaps detached here means introversion without attachment.
I don't know if it's fair to categorize all unhappy thinkers as personalizing things. I guess if you want to say that negative thinkers tend to set themselves up for unhappiness, yeah sure. But you can have an unhappy thinker that doesn't personalize things that is due to that 10%. Being poor and not being able to take care of your physical needs, for instance, is one example.
It seems some of that will be shaped by type, since Thinking types will tend to be more "detached".
So I wonder if that relates in any way to the Big Five. "T/F" is generally correlated with "Agreeableness", but those correlations are not absolute, and I think T/F also figures a lot in Neuroticism; the missing fifth factor.
But I wondered how it fit. Thinking's "detachment", at least as characterized by MBTI and Keirsey discussions, appears to be the more "calm" or "stable" while Feeling is more "limbic" (neurotic).
In my own correlations, because Eysenck originally defined Neuroticism by association with the Melancholic and Choleric (and I figure fifth temperament Supine would by definition be neurotic as well) I associated Neuroticism with any "low" score in expressiveness or responsiveness (introversion, cooperativeness, directiveness and structure-focus), and Feeling would fall on the "high" responsive side (informative for S's, motive focus for N's, and thus "Agreeable" for FFM), then it seems Feeling would be less neurotic, or more stable. (P, also).

So this association of "connecting" with "happiness" would seem to go along with that. (And F+P would be even more "happy" than F+J, because of the internal standard that does not depend on others, whose behavior we cannot really control anyway).

A

Anew Leaf

I just saw this guy at church today. He talked about what causes us to be happy.

The key points are:

Happiness is a result or outcome of other things.

The other 90% consists of two things:
1. your biological makeup
2. a set of life practices – the way we live leads to the end result

So, happiness to a significant degree is a result of the way you live. The life practices he mentions are:

Great thread! :D

I peg myself as a 7. Overall my internal spring of optimism runneth over, but I definitely am aware of the areas in my life that don't make me happy. If I were to drop everything and focus on what inside of me that I want to do, then my happiness would explode past countable numbers. So I guess my current level of happiness spawns from the knowledge that I can be happy no matter my circumstances so long as I find that inner sanctum to draw strength from.

I have my moments of extreme doubt and pessimismness, but overall I know I have something within me that won't go softly away.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
images

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
6 - I'm happy about some things in my life but there are things that I'm unhappy about

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think happiness may not be a choice, although physiological/biological health and fulfillment in work and love can help. Conventional wisdom says it is a choice, but how could such a thing be proven? How can you show two people with all the same conditions except for difference in choice? And yet we readily believe this and expect it of one another.

S

SingSmileShine

Right now, I'm a 5. Recovering from GAD, depression, and an eating disorder. When I'm stable, though, I'm a 9 or a 10!

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm able to do much more nowdays, so I suppose that's part of my cause.