• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

June Book-Club Suggestions

ygolo

My termites win
As I brought up in the site-suggestions thread, I would like to start an MBTIc psychology/self-help book club.

It was suggested that I start a thread to see how much interest there would be.

So lets gets some suggestions for a book to read in June (plus late May, I guess).

Some of my suggestions may not be well covered in a month, but we can always continue on it the next month.

My own suggestions:
On Becoming a Person, Carl Rogers
Civilization and its Discontents, Sigmund Freud
The Interpretation of Dreams, Sigmund Freud
Man's Search for Meaning, Victor Frankl
Man and His Symbols, Carl Gustav Jung
The Theory of Psychoanalysis, Carl Gustav Jung
The Art of Loving, Erich Fromm
In and Out the Garbage Pail, Fredrick(Fritz) S. Perls
The Gestalt Approach & Eye Witness to Therapy, Fritz Perls

I will stop there. What would others like to read and discuss?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would be interested in reading any of those books and discussing them.

Mole

Permabanned
And -

"The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", by Julian Jaynes.

but most of all -

"Wind in the Willows", by Kenneth Grahame.

Mole

Permabanned
I vote for "Wind in the Willows".

I know you will say it is off topic but how magnificantly off topic. With such lovable characters - quite like ourselves.

And that is why we should read "Wind in the Willows" together. We will find ourselves with the Water Rat, Mole, Toad, and Badger.

And it is in "Wind in the Willows" we will find our better selves.

And surely this is the point of psychology.

We can see ourselves in each one of the characters.

It's just like MBTI, only better.

Victor.

Oh yes, we can all read about Ratty and Mole, just click on -

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. Search, Read, Study, Discuss.

And yes, we can take turns reading it aloud to one another on Ventrillo.

I bags Chapter 7, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", a mysticism that sends shivers down my spine.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not against Wind in the Willows, but I propose we choose a book suggested by Ygolo, the person who came up with the book club in the first place.

Generally in a book club the presenter describes the book and why it would be a good choice. Ygolo, do you favor any of your book suggestions over another?

Jae Rae

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not against Wind in the Willows, but I propose we choose a book suggested by Ygolo, the person who came up with the book club in the first place.

Yup, and I also know how this works: Unless someone is in charge, nothing will ever happen.

Ygolo gets final call at the moment, and by now he should have a ton to choose from. :)

ygolo

My termites win
Well, I am personally leaning towards

On Becoming a Person

But

Neurosis and Human Growth

would be my second choice.

I'd like to keep it somewhat democtratic however (and since there don't seem to be too many people, we can at least know what people wanted, come the following month).