• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychology of a Self-Diagnosing, Exaggerating Generation

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
It seems as if the young people in my generation have the nasty habit of constantly exaggerating and self-diagnosing to express themselves.

Examples off the top of my head:

"I'm an introvert." and "I'm anti-social."

"I have insomnia."

"I'm OCD."

"I'm an alcoholic."

"I'm so poor."

Thoughts on this? Is this a generational thing? What's the deal? Too much webmd?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems as if the young people in my generation have the nasty habit of constantly exaggerating and self-diagnosing to express themselves.

"I have insomnia."

"I'm OCD."

"I'm an alcoholic."

"I'm so poor."

Thoughts on this? Is this a generational thing? What's the deal? Too much webmd?

Are you using the term diagnosis strictly in the medical sense, or do you just mean you notice people labelling themeselves, more?

I ask mainly because introversion's not a mental illness in the sense of an unhealthy psychiatric condition, it's just a pattern of behavior and understanding of what energizes an individual.

I think otherwise, though, society is a bit more open to psych in general -though ofc there is still some stigma- but with that openness, as well as the new info available- and easy access via the intertubes.. it only makes sense that people would sum up things about themselves with general medical terms. People have always had an intrinsic need to define things to some extent or another. Knowledge is power, if you name it, you own it, etc.

Unfortunatley, this also leads to many people using terms out of context without fully understanding their meanings, and also using said self diagnosis as a bandaid to excuse problems they may have, versus actually using that data to attempt to address and resolve said issues.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It probably has to do with the cultural ascendency of science. The terms infiltrate everyday vocabulary.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then it's not exactly science, is it?

Does it necessarily have to be?

I think it's a combination of cultural acceptance and advances in the psych field. /shrug

I tend not to take people literally on things like this, and play it by ear/observe. We're all capable of stumbling into lexical pitfalls from time to time.

G

Ginkgo

No, but the language becomes "metaphors we live by" and whatnot. Whether it's really science or not is irrelevant.

If it's a cultural thing to use scientific terms with alternative definitions, then it can't really be inferred from this fact alone that science has ascended. It's degenerative to a portion of the scientific practice.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it's a cultural thing to use scientific terms with alternative definitions, then it can't really be inferred from this fact alone that science has ascended. It's degenerative to a portion of the scientific practice.

It can be degenerative, depending on how seriously each person takes the meaning behind the words used.
I'd pray people are more intelligent than that, generally.
We'll see, I guess.

Little_Sticks

"I have insomnia."

"I'm OCD."

"I'm an alcoholic."

"I'm so poor."

The truth is always true, until it isn't.

"You have once again entered the world of survival horror..... Good luck......"

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If it's a cultural thing to use scientific terms with alternative definitions, then it can't really be inferred from this fact alone that science has ascended.

That was not the operation that I used to come to the conclusion that science has ascended in our culture.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's the interwebz!!!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's the interwebz!!!

I dunno what it says about me, the internet, or doctors, but I've actually been able to diagnose things wrong with me [medically] before I see my physician. They merely confirm it via lab tests, & are able to prescribe treatment..

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno what it says about me, the internet, or doctors, but I've actually been able to diagnose things wrong with me [medically] before I see my physician. They merely confirm it via lab tests, & are able to prescribe treatment..
:hug: Most people seem to do it wrong, though.