• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there ANYTHING that everyone can agree on?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Murder is wrong? In some instances it's justifiable.

The earth is round? I'm sure there are still some flat-earthers out there somewhere.

1+1=2? I'm sure there must be someone out there who won't agree with this.

So, is there anything that everyone can agree on?

Yes.
Dr. [MENTION=1]Haight[/MENTION] does not read our posts. :happy:

G

Glycerine

"All bachelors and bachelorettes are unmarried individuals." ;)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All men are mortal.
*wins thread*
*self high five*
:bye:

Except for that transcendent man guy maybe.

This thread is going to come out really boring I think.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All men are mortal.
*wins thread*
*self high five*
:bye:

All men are mortal. Sacrates is a man. Therefore Socrates is mortal.
P-->Q
P
______
Q

:hifive:

Don't you love logic?

(Maybe people who don't use logic wouldn't agree...)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There will always be someone that will disagree.

:tongue10: They still know they die. What happens after is another thing. :cheese:

Hmm, so more like: All men are born as mortals. I currently can not think of any example of a group or movement that would believe otherwise. I think that may very well be something everyone can agree with!

My apologies for my short-sightedness. :D

Except for that transcendent man guy maybe.

This thread is going to come out really boring I think.

P-->Q
P
______
Q

Don't you love logic?

One word, solipsism.

You are all part of the figment of my imagination. What is happening right now is that I am asleep somewhere while I am dreaming about me typing this to the people of TypoC. When I wake up, is when this dream completely subsides, but I'll still be alive. This is because you are all a part of me and my dream. When my dream end is when all of you disappear, but I'll be alive and well.

:D

Yeah... There are actually people that sincerely believe that though... or some variation of some sort.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
P-->Q
P
______
Q

Don't you love logic?

:cheers:
You're still an INFP, though. :harhar:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
One may or may not agree with the statement that one may or may not agree with this statement.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I suppose we could pull out a cheesy descartes style quote: "All we know is that somewhere....somehow..... and in some form we exist."

*EDIT* Oh yeah and things like being part of the imagination of something else or a dream comes under the heading of 'in some form' .

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
P-->Q
P
______
Q

Don't you love logic?

This is incorrectly formulated. In propositional logic the statement would be of the form P,Q ⊨ R ; which isn't semantically interesting. The way it is formulated, it reads as something like 'if Socrates is a man then Socrates is mortal, Socrates is a man, therefore Socrates is mortal', which doesn't say anything about other men.

In order to preserve the expressive power of the statement, you'd have to switch to first-order predicate logic:
∀x(Px→Qx),Pa ⊨ Qa

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is incorrectly formulated. In propositional logic the statement would be of the form P,Q ⊨ R ; which isn't semantically interesting. The way it is formulated, it reads as something like 'if Socrates is a man then Socrates is mortal, Socrates is a man, therefore Socrates is mortal', which doesn't say anything about other men.

In order to preserve the expressive power of the statement, you'd have to switch to first-order predicate logic:
∀x(Px→Qx),Pa ⊨ Qa

Yes, I thought of that. I was just going for the simple form of Socrates is a mortal. :)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We will all die one day?

Unless a galactic super civilization invades earth and takes us into the negative matter of the universe, immortal in a higher dimension at a spiritual level.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
To answer this question one would have to specify what constitutes a non-agreement - does it have to be an active act of disagreement, or does lack of agreement suffice. In the latter case the answer is clearly no, as is immediately apparent from cases of people in vegetative states for example. In the former case the question shifts to a question not just about agreement, but also one of knowledge, i.e. if you formulate knowledge as a true justified belief and you hold that such a belief exists then it seems to follow that there are things that everyone with sufficient data and mental capacity would necessarily agree on, but such a formulation is in itself quite problematic as has been shown by Gettier, Russell and Wittgenstein among others and it does seem to lead to a number of psychological and metaphysical assumptions that may not be so obvious.