• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think people with Down Syndrome look funny?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anymore, I tend to think everybody looks equally funny, and I treat everybody accordingly.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, sure. They look funny I suppose. I don't think I react though.... Well, scratch that, I do react, I think I'm more likely to smile at someone with a visible handicap than I am at anyone else. And that's because it's like I'm going about my daily routine in my own thoughts and then when I see a handicapped or different person I snap back into consciousness for a minute and I always smile at people if I'm aware of them.

Then I always wonder if smiling at handicapped people is a good idea while not smiling at anyone else because then it still draws attention to their differentness... If they would feel better if I just didn't notice them and kept walking by... But I was just hoping that people don't notice who I'm smiling at and who I'm not smiling at.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, yes! They look different. But it's relatively easy to interact with someone with DS, and so I've never felt too uncomfortable. And I strive not to - it's just not productive to feel afraid.

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
Well, yes! They look different. But it's relatively easy to interact with someone with DS, and so I've never felt too uncomfortable. And I strive not to - it's just not productive to feel afraid.

Well, there is no reason to feel endangered anyway since they are most gentle people...
Also,

D you find anyone who look "different" funny?

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
I think some people look beautiful, some plain, some ugly, some terrifying, and some, of course, humorous. So yes, I do think people with DS whom I've met look funny.

Would you explain why they meet the critria of " Funny category"??

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, there is no reason to feel endangered anyway since they are most gentle people...
Also,

D you find anyone who look "different" funny?

When I say 'afraid,' I don't really mean it in the primal sense. Mostly in the 'I'm uncomfortable with this because it's weird and will take steps to avoid it' kind of sense. I think people are naturally put off initially (upon first response), but sometimes they take it too far and fear a situation that isn't really of much concern. Like someone with Down's Syndrome.

TBH, I don't really know anyone who is really uneasy about it, but there are people who could be, and I'm just referring to those kinds of people. :p

And 'funny' in the sense that it's a novel stimuli. That sort of thing :3

Pinker85

Yes, but not in an offensive way. I've had sexual relations with a guy that had down syndrome. He worked at the pizza hut near where I grew up and lived down the street. I think people tend to either view the mentally handicap as disgusting or frightening, or they turn them into forever children. The guy I slept with had his own place, job, and while I wouldn't say his ideas were burning up the firmament with abstract genius, he did have his own ideas/opinions etc -- he was also silly and honest. Overall, cool person, slightly annoying at times, but that describes most people. There was definitely some element of novelty involved in the choice as I wouldn't say people with down syndrome strike me as strongly sexually attractive. I was curious about him as a person and lover. Sex wasn't very good.

The world is filled with a lot of people that operate within a very rigid and narrow worldview. They are frightened of anything outside that narrow conception of the world. So they lump people into these categories of repulsive, good, beautiful, etc. without seeing there is a ton of overlap between all these qualities -- that dependent on mindset and perspective you can see something repulsive and beautiful in everyone. This is what makes life so compelling. How's that for an NF answer?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
the way they look always had some weird feeling with me. Like when I see those "Special Olympics" commercials it makes me a bit ill to my stomach and I want to change the channel. I assume there is something hardwired in my DNA to create this type of repulsion so I don't mate with the retarded.

That being said I feel kinda shitty about this reaction of mine, which on first glance, appears to indicate shallowness by virtue of this inert prejudice. I recognize this and try to compensate for it and being nice and more social toward the handicapped in general than I am toward the more "normal" people.

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would you explain why they meet the critria of " Funny category"??

I forgot. I remember that was my reaction at the time, but I don't remember what they look like. They don't offend or disgust me. It's my honest reaction and I didn't treat them badly, and I can't justify it.

I abhor lying about my real feelings just to sound nice or politically correct, but I don't intend for them to offend anyone, and I certainly won't say that to their faces out of respect. When I think something potentially offensive to someone, I don't say it, unless my opinion was asked. For safety, it's best not to ask me for my honest opinion if somebody can't handle my honesty.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I haven't read through all 11 pages of this so forgive me please if my posting has already been covered (or "SEB" or whatever this new in-word is). I had a Down's son who died at 16. He was a very stereotypical Down's in temperament, looks, and learning. I have 2 things to say:

1. The Down's appearance is the way it is for EXACTLY the same reason as everyone else's. Have you ever seen the work of these wonderful artists who can take a human skull and by judicious use of clay can make a pretty good likeness of the dead person's face? Well they could do the same with a Down's too. The reason Downs' look the way they do is for one reason, and one reason only: The shape of their skulls. They have very narrow and small mouths and usually the mouth is not large enough to contain their tongues. That together with generally poor muscle tone and you get the idea.

2. My Down's son was an avid computer games player. He loved Mortal Kombat. His siblings were all reasonably good players. My son won his fair share against them. I really had little idea of each character. My son beat me every single time I played him. I honestly never won a single game against him. Once I was leading by quite a bit but he pulled out all the stops and pipped me on the post.