• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There are tons of books and advice for introverts

Lark

But none for extroverts. That's despite a lot of people wanting to identify as extroverts, at least that was my experience in my teens when I knew only one person who proudly claimed to be introverted.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What should the books be called?

When To Know How To Leave Other People the Hell Alone

That's a book I'd actually like to give some people. Although I'm not sure it really has anything to do with introversion or extroversion. My ESFJ friend, raging extrovert though she is, knows when to back off or when people don't feel like talking. She's got that Fe.

I know a pretty extreme aspie-seeming introvert who has to be told twice "I don't feel like talking right now" or that people don't want to hear what he's saying when they're eating. I've even told him "I don't care" before and he just pauses and finishes his sentence. It's utterly bizarre, I think he's like a 65 year old ISTJ, not at all senile, keeps a job his entire life, never diagnosed with Aspergers...but so help me god he's mildly socially retarded.

So what would the books be called, hmm? What would they be about?

dala

MBTI Type
intp
I don't think it really occurs to Extraverts that there is any other way to be, whereas lots of people see intraversion as something that needs fixing. You'd be as likely to find a book called 'So, your teenager is straight.'

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think it really occurs to Extraverts that there is any other way to be, whereas lots of people see intraversion as something that needs fixing. You'd be as likely to find a book called 'So, your teenager is straight.'

Most extroverts seem to be much more pushy of there point of view then introverts. Its part of what makes them extroverted ;) Us introverts just sit back and decide if we want to hang out with them or not.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What should the books be called?

When To Know How To Leave Other People the Hell Alone

That's a book I'd actually like to give some people. Although I'm not sure it really has anything to do with introversion or extroversion. My ESFJ friend, raging extrovert though she is, knows when to back off or when people don't feel like talking. She's got that Fe.

I know a pretty extreme aspie-seeming introvert who has to be told twice "I don't feel like talking right now" or that people don't want to hear what he's saying when they're eating. I've even told him "I don't care" before and he just pauses and finishes his sentence. It's utterly bizarre, I think he's like a 65 year old ISTJ, not at all senile, keeps a job his entire life, never diagnosed with Aspergers...but so help me god he's mildly socially retarded.

So what would the books be called, hmm? What would they be about?

It would be called "How to slow down"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most extroverts seem to be much more pushy of there point of view then introverts. Its part of what makes them extroverted ;) Us introverts just sit back and decide if we want to hang out with them or not.

I don't that's necessarily true. I believe what you're talking about is Je, not introversion and extroversion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It would be called "How to slow down"

You don't think IxTJs are ever in a hurry?

I don't think that has to do much with I/E, though again, this may have something to do with Je. Especially in ESxJs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't that's necessarily true. I believe what you're talking about is Je, not introversion and extroversion.

LMAO...are you J? or do you just not believe you are pushy?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't think IxTJs are ever in a hurry?

I don't think that has to do much with I/E, though again, this may have something to do with Je. Especially in ESxJs.

The IxTJs I know are generally not in a hurry.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
LMAO...are you J? or do you just not believe you are pushy?

I'm not J but I have Je...and so it's highly likely that I am an ExFP who has tertiary Te which you see more on the forum. But if you were around me IRL, you would be shocked. I've had people meet me from this forum and I am not what they expected. I think I have yet to meet a person who isn't even a little surprised that I'm different IRL.

I'm not at all pushy IRL, in fact I sometimes HIDE from people, unless I need something or I'm pissed off, then you will see my Te.

But yes I know I'm very Fi/Te on the forum, and it is intentional much of the time.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The IxTJs I know are generally not in a hurry.

ISTJs often seem pretty busy to me, and I don't know that ExxPs are such hurried souls.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a hyper withdrawn extrovert and I have severe problems with people not being able to understand my nature. I would rather that they understand me personally as opposed to everyone of my type based on introversion/extroversion because those still carry assumptions and generalizations that may or may not apply to me in their entirety.

What I've taken to doing is showing the people who are closest to me bits and pieces of the descriptions that sound most like me - while sharing my own insight as to how they apply.

I wouldn't want someone to read just my type descriptions or a book that contains massive generalizations when I can do the best job of explaining my own behaviour directly -- hence no more labels [except the variant stacking, which not many people understand anyways]. Too many pre-conceived notions that alter perceptions and colour interactions.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJs often seem pretty busy to me, and I don't know that ExxPs are such hurried souls.

I agree that ExxPs are not hurried souls, but it doesnt mean they dont move quickly and alot.

edit: and I think that hurried IxxJs are more on a mission where the end result is to slow down.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

This is exactly right, I think. Society (at least in the US) puts a lot of pressure on introverts to act like extroverts, so there are both a lot of books on "How to be extroverted" and "Being an introvert is okay!"

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yep. And fixing things that aren't broke is an introverted trait- so in addition to there being less occasion for extraverts to see 'extraversion' as a hindrance, extraverts are less inclined to want to 'fix' what isn't absolutely necessary in the first place.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am actually happy being an introvert...its not the "how" that I struggle with its the "whats the point" that I dont get.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've started to think the "introvert" self help books are actually for shy people. I'm shy. And extroverted.

KDude

I'm not shy exactly.. I might single individuals out and strike up something.. but consider myself introverted. I can hang out by myself for months. I'm sure I've been solitary 85-90 percent of my life. I don't need or want any help.