• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Procrastinate and Avoid

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do you overcome procrastination or avoidance when it hits?

R

Riva

Oh man this has been a something I have been trying to overcome for quite sometime now.

I recently started using affirmations and they work like magic.

Also a trick I learned is when having got to do something -

I look at my wrist watch and say to myself that I'd complete the task in that many minutes (it's usually half or three quarter of the time it would usually take). This would make me realize that it would take only a few minutes to complete the task and motivate me to complete it.

When putting a time limit to the task at hand one feels like working extremely fast and one ould complete a task at remarkable pace. Often times I am shocked that I completed it in less than proposed time.

Sometimes it takes longer than assumed but still it would not make me stop as it would have normally. I would still go on.

Hope that helps.

R

Riva

Then again I believe that one should overcome one's own limitations by using one's own ideas. So my ideas might not work for you.

The only thing one must remember to do is constantly look for answers from within. This way sooner or later one would arrive at it.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Delay as long as possible. Then bust a move.

I've done the time trick too as Riva describes. Except I'd say to myself, if it was a short task, "By the time I count to 20, I'll be done." Or if it's animal chores, I tell myself the work will do itself if I just go through the motions with my body. :smile:

Mostly I just try to avoid doing things that I don't like to do.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Then again I believe that one should overcome one's own limitations by using one's own ideas. So my ideas might not work for you.

The only thing one must remember to do is constantly look for answers from within. This way sooner or later one would arrive at it.

All good man, the idea is to say what works for you. And I do like, and employ the suggestion you gave, it's hella effective in the times when nothing else is!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I kick myself in the crotch of my mind and force myself to DO something.

It isn't easy but it is possible. Id say my method is a kind of "keep going, keep hanging on" type of mental conditioning in which I force myself to just keep pushing on with whatever it is I am doing. Even if id rather sit back, cogitate and then drift off.