• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychosis

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you take medicine for it? Do you find the medicine makes this better, or worse?

The reason I ask, is someone I know was given Haldol, long story as to why, and states the "medicine" made them "see things" something that has not happened before, or since the administration of this drug. (which causes me to wonder whether antipsychotics are beneficial or not)

Antipsychotics are very beneficial to a lot of people. Unfortunately, with the darkness of both neuro and medical science, it is hard to know the action of any of these meds in anyone. Antipsychotic made me feel sharp, bright, energetic, and clear as day... Unfortunately I had to come off because I had the extrapyramidal symptom that made my mouth twitch. Prp has a different view of her meds, she hates them, but I won't put words in her mouth. I've seen antipsychotics totally take the life, spark, and personality out of people or they can do the total opposite. Haldol is a little bit older though they can still use it for some symptoms in people.. Some newer ones work much better- abilify, zyprexa... (I was on zyprexa and absolutely loved it though I think it's known to zonk a lot of people out)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Antipsychotics are very beneficial to a lot of people. Unfortunately, with the darkness of both neuro and medical science, it is hard to know the action of any of these meds in anyone. Antipsychotic made me feel sharp, bright, energetic, and clear as day... Unfortunately I had to come off because I had the extrapyramidal symptom that made my mouth twitch. Prp has a different view of her meds, she hates them, but I won't put words in her mouth. I've seen antipsychotics totally take the life, spark, and personality out of people or they can do the total opposite. Haldol is a little bit older though they can still use it for some symptoms in people.. Some newer ones work much better- abilify, zyprexa... (I was on zyprexa and absolutely loved it though I think it's known to zonk a lot of people out)
I don't necsereialy hate them, its just i forgot to take them for 2 weeks and by the 3rd week realized they might be using robots to control me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Agreed. :)

I still think it is an interesting pattern.

I don't think it's all that interesting. I think that sometimes people with mental conditions, something even as minor as depression, mistype themselves as INFP.

I also think that there are exceptional number of NPs on this forum, and SPs are likely to mistype as NP as well.

And Ps for whatever reason might be more open about admitting these sorts of things, even if there's just as many SJs and NJs running around with some kind of condition (I've known of at least one ISTJ with severe psychosis, officially diagnosed, and medicated, just FYI).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't necsereialy hate them, its just i forgot to take them for 2 weeks and by the 3rd week realized they might be using robots to control me.

If you still think robots are controlling you after three weeks, your meds aren't working. I think this may be the biggest issue with people who won't take their meds - paranoia. And the best way to control paranoia is to inform yourself.

I've never had an issue with taking my mood stabilizer, because I don't like having melt downs in the middle of the campus quad, and I love being independent and strong and functional, I have SERIOUS issues with being dependent or trapped in any way, so I want very much to be well.

I only experience hypomania, but that's enough that I could make some impulsive decisions that could fuck up my life - I could end up in jail, or just form an excessive pattern of poor decision making based on impulses.

I don't know if it's more difficult for people who have paranoid symptoms, but there seems to be some correlation with people not taking their meds, and imagining that it's doing something awful to them...which always strikes me as very odd if the person is "self-medicating" with dangerous street drugs.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
anxiety medication, mood stabelizers and psychotics for treatment? i know taking depression meds with no assist from mood stabilizeers can cause bipolar people to experience psychosis or at least I had heard from my friend. he is bipolar as well.

so you seen a psychologist?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
is it, anxiety medication, mood stabelizers and psychotics for treatment? i know taking depression meds with no assist from mood stabilizeers can cause bipolar people to experience psychosis.

If someone with bipolar disorder - or even cyclothymia, or even borderline personality disorder - take anti-depressants alone (the SSRI's are the worst; Wellbutrin or older tricyclics like Trazadone are usually prescribed to bipolar/cyclothymia by sensible doctors) they can experience mania or hypomania.

The prime difference between hypomania and mania, I think, is that people with full blown mania experience psychosis. I have never, ever seen or heard anything, I don't relate to having hallucinations, hearing voices, thinking I'm in hell, being confused...I don't relate to any of that...what I primarily do is have strong impulses to do things which may or may not be sensible, or heightened moods where I may go into a full-blown RAGE, or start crying and yelling at the same time, because my mood is so heightened.

However, many people with hypomania don't get help for a long time, because people with hypomania are often highly productive, charming, creative, and successful...until it becomes anger or they make some really stupid choices on impulse.

So even though I only experience hypomania, I'm still given a mood stabilizer, otherwise I can experience panic attacks or rage, although I do not have "psychotic" symptoms in the sense of losing touch with concrete reality.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i think you need one episode to be diagnosed with. hmm it seems pretty confusing. some symptoms can look like others

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think you need one episode to be diagnosed with bipolar for cyclothymia

Have you read about cyclothymia? Mine occurred because I was taking Lexapro (alone) and I was having very large inappropriate outbursts, IRL. Like I'd get into an argument with someone and I'd be crying and yelling at the same time. My mother said once my face turned purple, like a baby screaming.

I have been diagnosed, thanks, by multiple doctors, and no, all people with bipolar disorder don't have full blown psychotic episodes, that's how one gets diagnosed with cyclothymia or bipolar II.

Left untreated though hypomania can become full blown mania.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Have you read about cyclothymia? Mine occurred because I was taking Lexapro (alone) and I was having very large inappropriate outbursts, IRL. Like I'd get into an argument with someone and I'd be crying and yelling at the same time. My mother said once my face turned purple, like a baby screaming.

I have been diagnosed, thanks, by multiple doctors, and no, all people with bipolar disorder don't have full blown psychotic episodes, that's how one gets diagnosed with cyclothymia or bipolar II.

Left untreated though hypomania can become full blown mania.

i was not disputing your diagnosis, definitely not a docter. i was reading things off the bipolar forum. not sure if i mentioned but i have a friend that i care about with the same thing, secretly been researching it. so this is me trying to acquire more info to understand my dear friend who is there when i need him as well. also, im trying to understand prplchknz as well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i was not disputing your diagnosis, definitely not a docter. i was reading things off the bipolar forum. not sure if i mentioned but i have a friend that i care about with the same thing, secretly been researching it. so this is me trying to acquire more info to understand my dear friend who is there when i need him as well.

Well if you were having full blown psychotic mania you would not be diagnosed as hypomanic, and therefore not as having cyclothymia. People with cyclothymia can become aggressive and have rapid speech, though, like someone in mania.

I was prescribed various SSRI's for depression and anxiety, low doses. I was actually on the lowest dose of Lexapro possible, no lie, and it still made me become hypomanic, which clearly means I do not have unipolar depression.

I now take Wellbutrin and Trileptal. Trileptal is commonly prescribed to people with cyclothymia, it's an anti-convulsant that regulates mood, and that way I don't struggle with things like insomnia, panic attacks, and rage.

It doesn't help that I came out of an abusive relationship, where I was constantly exposed to rage, which is probably what made my mood disorder start to present as rage rather than simply as rapid speech, exceptional ambition or goal setting, insomnia, etc...which is why I wasn't diagnosed as cyclothymic or bipolar II earlier in my life, and just as having depression and anxiety, because I never expressed my hypomania as rage before I was consistently exposed to it as a behavioral pattern.

I don't think a lot of cyclothymics even get help until the hypomania presents itself in a way that is actually disruptive, or it becomes full blown mania instead of hypomania, which can occur with people who are untreated for long periods of time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If you still think robots are controlling you after three weeks, your meds aren't working. I think this may be the biggest issue with people who won't take their meds - paranoia. And the best way to control paranoia is to inform yourself.

I've never had an issue with taking my mood stabilizer, because I don't like having melt downs in the middle of the campus quad, and I love being independent and strong and functional, I have SERIOUS issues with being dependent or trapped in any way, so I want very much to be well.

I only experience hypomania, but that's enough that I could make some impulsive decisions that could fuck up my life - I could end up in jail, or just form an excessive pattern of poor decision making based on impulses.

I don't know if it's more difficult for people who have paranoid symptoms, but there seems to be some correlation with people not taking their meds, and imagining that it's doing something awful to them...which always strikes me as very odd if the person is "self-medicating" with dangerous street drugs.

the robots are in my prescription meds not in the other stuff

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
: /

sometimes people get paranoid, it is difficult to treat people who are experiencing this, they end up refusing the help that they need and their symptoms get progressively worse.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
: /

sometimes people get paranoid, it is difficult to treat people who are experiencing this, they end up refusing the help that they need and their symptoms get progressively worse.
are you saying i'm paranoid? I don't feel paranoid, except right now, and even than its not real paranoia, more suspicious

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
are you saying i'm paranoid? I don't feel paranoid, except right now, and even than its not real paranoia, more suspicious

Yes, believing sincerely that there are robots in your medication is a paranoid delusion. If you really believe that. You just mean you don't feel anxious or panicky?