• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introversion no longer in DSM-5 Proposal

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s/201206/apa-gains-sanity-introverts-not-nuts

Instead,
The current proposal to update the DSM includes "detachment" as a headline item under schizotypal personality disorder, saying it "involves withdrawal from other people and from social interactions." It defines withdrawal as "preference for being alone to being with others; reticence in social situations; avoidance of social contacts and activity; lack of initiation of social contact."

Guess I can go back to being normally abnormal...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think too much extraversion can potentially be pathological but I doubt you'll ever see such a thing even considered for DSM criteria.

yupitsme

MBTI Type
intx
What a joke.

Its disgusting extroverts think everyone ought to want to listen to all their endless shallow nonsense that drips onto their tongue from their largely empty vessel of a brain to bore the hell out of one third of the population looking for substance, that they label those of us with a hunger for depth over breadth abnormal.

Its abnormal to not know when to shut up, relax and do something worthy instead of use interaction like a crack addiction. Effing idiots really make me want to vomit.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think too much extraversion can potentially be pathological but I doubt you'll ever see such a thing even considered for DSM criteria.

Maybe it's covered under Narcissistic or Histrionic Personality Disorder? :thinking:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The big news about DSM-V (At least in GRASP circles) is them eliminating Asperger's!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know, but in practice, it seems like dissolving it into nonexistence.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
What a joke.

Its disgusting extroverts think everyone ought to want to listen to all their endless shallow nonsense that drips onto their tongue from their largely empty vessel of a brain to bore the hell out of one third of the population looking for substance, that they label those of us with a hunger for depth over breadth abnormal.

Its abnormal to not know when to shut up, relax and do something worthy instead of use interaction like a crack addiction. Effing idiots really make me want to vomit.

Um... Not quite helping your case here. ^_^;

The abyss looks back...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The current proposal to update the DSM includes "detachment" as a headline item under schizotypal personality disorder, saying it "involves withdrawal from other people and from social interactions." It defines withdrawal as "preference for being alone to being with others; reticence in social situations; avoidance of social contacts and activity; lack of initiation of social contact."
So if the quote above describes me, I am still considered (abnormally) abnormal???

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm no psychologist, but I think it's a matter of the degree/extremity of the behaviours described there.
Withdrawal is a real issue but the description is problematic, especially the use of the word preference. What I think they are trying to say is an active preference to socially detach from other people. We introverts don't really have a choice but those who are not have, and if they choose to over-ride their natural tendencies and withdraw, then it could be a symptom of a problem.
In other words, this is what happens when a non-introvert starts acting like one :tongue:

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I was going to object to histrionic PD, but yeah, that does seem like pathologized extraversion. I work with the DSM quite a lot now that I'm pursuing the MSW to licensed clinician route, and people in social work are very, very ambivalent about the DSM because it is so deficits-based and medicalized. I see a use for it--it's good to be able to talk across professions about a client's needs based on a diagnosis. But when you learn about 1. the history of diagnoses (like homosexuality, as the classic example) and 2. the huge funding bias it has to big pharm, the DSM seems like a pretty dangerous thing to regard as biblical (kind of like the Bible, really!).

That said, it's good to remember that when clinicians and psychiatrists are diagnosing a person, usually they are diagnosing a problem that is getting in the way of that person's functioning and independence--something that led to the person showing up in a hospital or office. There is a difference between someone who is an introvert and someone who is social-phobic, in my opinion. In either case, if a person is to work on something like "withdrawal" or social phobia or whatever, the person needs to want to do that (which generally means that s/he needs to identify it as a problem him/herself).

VagrantFarce

Fuck the DSM, frankly. Arbitrary rubbish that changes with popular opinion - you won't learn anything about yourself or anyone else from it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really happy my theatrics (and the theatrics of others) are being taken out of the DSM, as well. Histrionic is no longer going to be the DSM either (one therapist diagnosed me as Histrionic several years ago, but subsequent therapists utterly ignored this diagnosis, seemed to erase it).

[MENTION=5]Eileen[/MENTION]

Histrionic isn't pathologicalized extroversion, actually Borderline Personality Disorder is pathologicalized extroversion, as is narcissism...narcissism I think may be taken out of the DSM as well, though.

Which means I can go back to calling narcissists "bad people"? :D

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Histrionic isn't pathologicalized extroversion, actually Borderline Personality Disorder is pathologicalized extroversion, as is narcissism...narcissism I think may be taken out of the DSM as well, though.

Which means I can go back to calling narcissists "bad people"? :D

So, according to you, would introverts be unable to present with BPD?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, according to you, would introverts be unable to present with BPD?

No, but one of the symptoms of BPD is intolerance of being alone, and feelings of emptiness or boredom when not externally preoccupied from one's own self.

Even if you're some kind of introvert, you're clearly externally focused in an unhealthy way.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
No, but one of the symptoms of BPD is intolerance of being alone, and feelings of emptiness or boredom when not externally preoccupied from one's own self.

Even if you're some kind of introvert, you're clearly externally focused in an unhealthy way.

All of the personality disorder diagnoses are really, really problematic--but since we're talking about what's in the DSM, I hardly think you can say, when looking at the checklists of symptoms, that borderline has more to do with extraversion than histrionic does. HPD is pretty damn externally-focused--not that BPD isn't, but HPD seems moreso to me.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I was going to object to histrionic PD, but yeah, that does seem like pathologized extraversion. I work with the DSM quite a lot now that I'm pursuing the MSW to licensed clinician route, and people in social work are very, very ambivalent about the DSM because it is so deficits-based and medicalized. I see a use for it--it's good to be able to talk across professions about a client's needs based on a diagnosis. But when you learn about 1. the history of diagnoses (like homosexuality, as the classic example) and 2. the huge funding bias it has to big pharm, the DSM seems like a pretty dangerous thing to regard as biblical (kind of like the Bible, really!).

That said, it's good to remember that when clinicians and psychiatrists are diagnosing a person, usually they are diagnosing a problem that is getting in the way of that person's functioning and independence--something that led to the person showing up in a hospital or office. There is a difference between someone who is an introvert and someone who is social-phobic, in my opinion. In either case, if a person is to work on something like "withdrawal" or social phobia or whatever, the person needs to want to do that (which generally means that s/he needs to identify it as a problem him/herself).

Is the CID any better? I'm curious.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Is the CID any better? I'm curious.

I'm not familiar with the CID; I feel like I've learned about an alternative to the DSM and can't recall the details. What is it? A cursory google search did not help me.