• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Internet usage and depression

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I found this article extremely interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/opinion/sunday/how-depressed-people-use-the-internet.html

There were two major findings. First, we identified several features of Internet usage that correlated with depression. In other words, we found a trend: in general, the more a participant’s score on the survey indicated depression, the more his or her Internet usage included these (rather technical-sounding) features — for instance, “p2p packets,” which indicate high levels of sharing files (like movies and music).

Our second major discovery was that there were patterns of Internet usage that were statistically high among participants with depressive symptoms compared with those without symptoms. That is, we found indicators: styles of Internet behavior that were signs of depressive people. For example, participants with depressive symptoms tended to engage in very high e-mail usage. This perhaps was to be expected: research by the psychologists Janet Morahan-Martin and Phyllis Schumacher has shown that frequent checking of e-mail may relate to high levels of anxiety, which itself correlates with depressive symptoms.

Another example: the Internet usage of depressive people tended to exhibit high “flow duration entropy” — which often occurs when there is frequent switching among Internet applications like e-mail, chat rooms and games. This may indicate difficulty concentrating. This finding, too, is consistent with the psychological literature: according to the National Institute of Mental Health, difficulty concentrating is also a sign of depressive symptoms among students.

OTHER characteristic features of “depressive” Internet behavior included increased amounts of video watching, gaming and chatting.

I have noticed that there seems to be a relationship to how I use the Internet and my mood. What do you think?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only people I talk to besides the people in my house are people on the internet, so in a sense I use the internet a lot because I am socially depressed.

teleforce

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thanks for the article. that's really interesting, and seems true to experience. i think when i'm feeling down i do tend to use the internet more and my usage is probably more "manic" somewhat. i'd imagine my internet usage, when i haven't set limits, also feeds back into bad moods and makes me feel worse eventually.

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
thanks for the article. that's really interesting, and seems true to experience. i think when i'm feeling down i do tend to use the internet more and my usage is probably more "manic" somewhat. i'd imagine my internet usage, when i haven't set limits, also feeds back into bad moods and makes me feel worse eventually.

You're welcome. I just found it really interesting. I've noticed in myself that I can get really develop a persistent habit of reading and communicating online. Definitely manic like you describe.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
OTHER characteristic features of “depressive” Internet behavior included increased amounts of video watching, gaming and chatting.

I must be depressed then. :shock:

Still interesting though.

Chocobo Breeder

Strange. The amount of time I spend playing video games usually corresponds to how well I feel. I no longer find interest in games when I'm feeling depressed hahaha. I may browse the internet more, though. I'm not sure.