• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overcoming post traumatic stress disorder

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hey guys, so I was wondering if any of you have ever had PTSD, and if so how did you overcome it? I have now had PTSD for 6 years, and it is really destroying my life. It affects many things in my life in a negative way. One of the worst things that it does is that it greatly prevents me from keeping a decent job. I’m trying my damndest to get over it, and losing the battle. Most of my PTSD has to do with being in very violent scenarios. I used to get in arguments all the time when I was younger but I’ve become a very soft, weak, and unassertive person to the fact that I am so sensitive to confrontation. Seriously, when I do so much as even get an argument anymore it regresses me back to the past, and I erupt on people. One of the biggest problems with this is that one of major gifts in life are my people skills, so therefore I am pretty damn good at sales. The problem is that when I do sales I pretty much have to get drunk or high every day to do it, or I may erupt on people because of my PTSD. Any thoughts on overcoming this?

A

Anew Leaf

Hey guys, so I was wondering if any of you have ever had PTSD, and if so how did you overcome it? I have now had PTSD for 6 years, and it is really destroying my life. It affects many things in my life in a negative way. One of the worst things that it does is that it greatly prevents me from keeping a decent job. I’m trying my damndest to get over it, and losing the battle. Most of my PTSD has to do with being in very violent scenarios. I used to get in arguments all the time when I was younger but I’ve become a very soft, weak, and unassertive person to the fact that I am so sensitive to confrontation. Seriously, when I do so much as even get an argument anymore it regresses me back to the past, and I erupt on people. One of the biggest problems with this is that one of major gifts in life are my people skills, so therefore I am pretty damn good at sales. The problem is that when I do sales I pretty much have to get drunk or high every day to do it, or I may erupt on people because of my PTSD. Any thoughts on overcoming this?

Hmm, something this severe requires professional help. I suggest (see: strongly advise) that you seek a counselor who know how to handle cases such as yours.

I have gone through EMDR with my therapist and it has helped me hugely. However, I did not experience anything so bad as what you probably have.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hmm, something this severe requires professional help. I suggest (see: strongly advise) that you seek a counselor who know how to handle cases such as yours.

I have gone through EMDR with my therapist and it has helped me hugely. However, I did not experience anything so bad as what you probably have.

Mine is so bad that I could be on Dr. Phil. The problem is this....It keeps me from keeping a job very well, and you need to be able to keep a job in order to afford counseling. Also, I have tried to apply for SSI for this shit until I could get over it, but it takes like over a year to get it. You have to apply, then they reject you, then you fight it out with a lawyer. Then, if you get any job what-so-ever (even if it is part time) they slash your disability. It seems like an endless nightmare that I can't escape.

A

Anew Leaf

Mine is so bad that I could be on Dr. Phil. The problem is this....It keeps me from keeping a job very well, and you need to be able to keep a job in order to afford counseling. Also, I have tried to apply for SSI for this shit until I could get over it, but it takes like over a year to get it. You have to apply, then they reject you, then you fight it out with a lawyer. Then, if you get any job what-so-ever (even if it is part time) they slash your disability. It seems like an endless nightmare that I can't escape.

Yikes!

Is yours related to military service at all?

Permabanned

Have you tried an online marketing/adsense business?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yikes!

Is yours related to military service at all?

No, it has to do with living with a certain family member of mine that got into drugs, and put my life in serious jepordy on numberous occasions, and also with threats of gang violence. I mean, thank God it's all over now but at least in my head it's not.

Have you tried an online marketing/adsense business?

I would do that, but I can't find a decent company that would pay me to do that, that isn't a joke.

Permabanned
No, it has to do with living with a certain family member of mine that got into drugs, and put my life in serious jepordy on numberous occasions, and also with threats of gang violence. I mean, thank God it's all over now but at least in my head it's not.

I would do that, but I can't find a decent company that would pay me to do that, that isn't a joke.

It revolves around YOUR OWN business, not some company babysitting you... google is your friend, I'm sure you don't want others doing your work. :alttongue:

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Have you tried your state's human services? Contact them and ask what services you are eligible for.
http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/regions/c4/

Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Program Office Information
Tina St. Clair, LCSW
Mental Health Program Supervisor
5920 Arlington Expressway
Jacksonville, Florida 32211
(904) 723-2134
Email: Christina_St_Clair@dcf.state.fl.us

Here is the link to the services website Adult Mental Health

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It revolves around YOUR OWN business, not some company babysitting you... google is your friend, I'm sure you don't want others doing your work. :alttongue:

I've googled the hell out of this, and came up with nothing.

Have you tried your state's human services? Contact them and ask what services you are eligible for.
http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/regions/c4/

Here is the link to the services website Adult Mental Health

Ok thanks. I will check this out.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
First of all,

I think I know what you are talking about. I have it too. Don't waste your time doing a bunch of internet searches trying to fix yourself. You can't fix this by yourself. You need (at heast one) professional with experience.
I know what it's like to have your 'fight' instinct tripped by someone, and I know how this can put the blinders on you. Don't let going into a rage cause you to go to jail or worse.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I think I know what you are talking about. I have it too. Don't waste your time doing a bunch of internet searches trying to fix yourself. You can't fix this by yourself. You need (at heast one) professional with experience.
I know what it's like to have your 'fight' instinct tripped by someone, and I know how this can put the blinders on you. Don't let going into a rage cause you to go to jail or worse.

aletis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
While I most certainly advise you to get professional help, either EMDR or CB therapies, I can share some strategies (really simple tricks) I learned.

If you have experienced trauma, you have to know that part of you is still there, stuck in that moment, relieving it. It hasn't evolved or gained any perspective from what happened in the past, it simply reacts to present and distinct events like you were experiencing the same trauma over and over again. Knowing this, you can reach to that part of you and force you focus on the present and separate yourself from the past. The present is not meant to be equal to the past. What triggers the trauma is not the same exact event and, therefore, the outcome can be different. You can have control of what will happen this time. You're stronger and you have the tools to deal with such an horrible thing now.

So, try to calm down, focus on the present, remove yourself from that environment even temporarily, go for a run or do something that requires your full concentration and pep talk yourself -- i can overcome this, i have control over this, i won't allow this to happen again, i'm capable of dealing with this, etc., etc. Try to do the things that you love the most. Eventually -- or hopefully -- new good memories will take the place of the bad ones and the monsters and skeletons will start to fade away. But you do need to want them to fade away first and foremost.

Don't go through this alone, find someone with whom you can talk to or hang out when you're feeling worse.

Last edited:

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
That's really hard about not being able to afford the therapy you need to get better. It sucks when you are stuck in the paradigm of 'I can't afford to get better, but if I was well enough to have a job I could afford it.' Hugs to you :hug:

I don't have PTSD but I have had counseling for a traumatic event. Last year I talked through it using CBT and it really didn't do much at all....except to get me to be able to verbalise it. But a couple weeks ago I went through EMDR and it was really good for me. So I highly recommend that. It helped me to process and understand it better and not be dominated by the thoughts, images and feelings. I am definately more at peace now and less 'frozen' in certain contexts :)

I really hope you can get the help you need. You are in my thoughts and prayers The Great One.

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
Oooh, and in the meantime something that might help you is a way of dealing with it called "mindfullness"

You aknowledge what is there and how you are feeling, but learn to direct your focus elsewhere and be able to function, even though the thing itself is still affecting you. Gradually, the more you work on it, the less power that thing has over you and what you can and can not do while affected by it.

It's going to make more sense with a professional but this website has some free podcasts and youtube videos on ithttp://www.actmindfully.com.au/free_resources

I bought this series of meditations teaching the skills of mindfullness for $10 (might be more your price range) and it was really helpful for me http://www.actmindfully.com.au/bookshop_detail.asp?id=628&catid=54. It wasn't an easy magic fix tho, took months of practicing every day.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I saw some program about using drugs with aid on therapy and people got enormous help from using ecstasy in combination to therapy on ptsd. People told that they were able to process those things properly and while under the effects of ecstasy, they could do so without the normal panic/stress reactions they normally got in therapy. One veteran with really severe ptsd pretty much healed after few sessions, while no other kind of therapy had worked for him before.

I also suggest looking at the whole jungian complex and individuation thing.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
First of all,

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to find some way of going to the doctor. I really think I'm going to avoid getting an aggressive sales job though like my last one. I don't mind negotiation usually but when someone tries to intimidate me into lowering a price it's like it brings me back to my trauma. I think I'm going to maybe try to get a less aggressive job until I can get over this like maybe retail sales or possibly like a non stressful secretarial job like I used to do. I'm not gonna try to swim with the sharks again until my gills are healed.

Yeah, you're probably right, pardon my ignorance.

It's all good.

While I most certainly advise you to get professional help, either EMDR or CB therapies, I can share some strategies (really simple tricks) I learned.

If you have experienced trauma, you have to know that part of you is still there, stuck in that moment, relieving it. It hasn't evolved or gained any perspective from what happened in the past, it simply reacts to present and distinct events like you were experiencing the same trauma over and over again. Knowing this, you can reach to that part of you and force you focus on the present and separate yourself from the past. The present is not meant to be equal to the past. What triggers the trauma is not the same exact event and, therefore, the outcome can be different. You can have control of what will happen this time. You're stronger and you have the tools to deal with such an horrible thing now.

So, try to calm down, focus on the present, remove yourself from that environment even temporarily, go for a run or do something that requires your full concentration and pep talk yourself -- i can overcome this, i have control over this, i won't allow this to happen again, i'm capable of dealing with this, etc., etc. Try to do the things that you love the most. Eventually -- or hopefully -- new good memories will take the place of the bad ones and the monsters and skeletons will start to fade away. But you do need to want them to fade away first and foremost.

Don't go through this alone, find someone with whom you can talk to or hang out when you're feeling worse.

That's my other medical problem right now. I can't seem to do strenuous exercise (anaerobic exercise) without gagging right now. I'm really in a shitty situation.

That's really hard about not being able to afford the therapy you need to get better. It sucks when you are stuck in the paradigm of 'I can't afford to get better, but if I was well enough to have a job I could afford it.' Hugs to you :hug:

I don't have PTSD but I have had counseling for a traumatic event. Last year I talked through it using CBT and it really didn't do much at all....except to get me to be able to verbalise it. But a couple weeks ago I went through EMDR and it was really good for me. So I highly recommend that. It helped me to process and understand it better and not be dominated by the thoughts, images and feelings. I am definately more at peace now and less 'frozen' in certain contexts :)

I really hope you can get the help you need. You are in my thoughts and prayers The Great One.

**Hugs back** Yeah, I'll find a way to figure things out. I'm not the kind of person that just gives up when things go bad: I fight on till the bitter end.

I saw some program about using drugs with aid on therapy and people got enormous help from using ecstasy in combination to therapy on ptsd. People told that they were able to process those things properly and while under the effects of ecstasy, they could do so without the normal panic/stress reactions they normally got in therapy. One veteran with really severe ptsd pretty much healed after few sessions, while no other kind of therapy had worked for him before.

I also suggest looking at the whole jungian complex and individuation thing.

Using ecstasy sucks. It gradually prevents your brain from making serotonin overtime. I already have a serotonin deficiency, so that's the last thing I need.

Lark

The core thing about overcoming PTSD is that you need to be and feel safe, then in time you'll just return to your original pre-traumatized self.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Using ecstasy sucks. It gradually prevents your brain from making serotonin overtime. I already have a serotonin deficiency, so that's the last thing I need.

okay, but the point of this is that you only take it few times and only during therapy sessions. it can help to relive the painful stuff, without the painful associations over it. this has been said to have good long term help, since those painful things need to be processed somehow, thats why they keep coming at you.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^I think there is debate about this. I've heard some more conservative therapists feel it has a bandaid effect, and can circumvent fully doing the work to get to the heart of the matter. Though it does seem to have some good short-term benefits.