• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overcoming post traumatic stress disorder

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I enjoyed exstasy the few times I did it, but the hangover was too much so I decided to never do it again.
However, I can see that it does have an effect on the feeling of attachment and bonding with others, so it could be useful to somone with PTSD. I've read that psychodelics have similar effects.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
okay, but the point of this is that you only take it few times and only during therapy sessions. it can help to relive the painful stuff, without the painful associations over it. this has been said to have good long term help, since those painful things need to be processed somehow, thats why they keep coming at you.

Okay, so essentially what you are saying is that they only take the ecstasy during therapy so that they can recall the past experiences without reliving them? That makes a lot more sense.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, so essentially what you are saying is that they only take the ecstasy during therapy so that they can recall the past experiences without reliving them? That makes a lot more sense.

read again and again if you didnt figure it out the first time you read it again. if that doesent help, try to make sense out of it, if after that it didnt make sense to you, its probably not going to make sense automatically without you thinking it, so try thinking it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
read again and again if you didnt figure it out the first time you read it again. if that doesent help, try to make sense out of it, if after that it didnt make sense to you, its probably not going to make sense automatically without you thinking it, so try thinking it.

Yeah, I think I'm good on that buddy. I'm pretty sure I've figured it out.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think between your PTSD and your need to be wildly inappropriate and poke aka 'bear bait' you are currently a hot mess. Maybe not as evident IRL (I wouldn't know) but it seems internally you're a bunch of sparks just sparking away. The fact you don't seem to really get boundaries and always want to push does not bode well with your PTSD. It brings to mind the picture of a child flailing away wildly at nothing. Instead of compulsively trying to poke at people or get a reaction, rechannel that energy. Regardless of whether your are "as extreme" in real life the fact you have that compulsion to act out and are not really minding rules or boundaries or respecting other people is just going to perpetuate the anxiety and symptoms and social fall out you already get with PTSD. Basically, settle down. PTSD is kinda like ADHD in that way. You need to get grounded.

PTSD puts you in a high anxiety state where you get tunnel vision and all you can see is what your mind wants you to see and what your reality belief system tells you is the truth. Your body is basically on 'high alert' and on the ready for flight or fight.

I dated a guy with combat related PTSD his government assigned therapist basically did cognitive therapy which is basically controlled exposure. If X freaks you out, do 3 steps lower than X and work your way up. You have to desensitize your triggers. You also have to control your behavior so you're not intentionally provoking others :thelook: There are PTSD forums out there but I think they mostly give bad advice. People left to their own devices will opt for total aversion therapy, which basically means being totally non-confrontational even when necessary and avoiding life. That's not treatment or getting better. You have to reframe situations to not see them as a threat and retrain your response system down to the neurons. That's where meditation, breathing exercises, etc. come into play.

You could probably make a big dent in your PTSD on your own but any help, even a couple sessions with hypnotherapist, will be very useful. The best kind of therapy for PTSD (or anything, IMO) is cognitive therapy. Or the kind where you move your eyes side to side and reimagine traumatic events. Also, there may be community centers around where you live that offer free therapy. I knew someone getting his masters in marriage counseling who did counseling for free through a community center. At the very least, there should be a free meet-up for people with PTSD where you can meet them IRL.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lots of great advice on this thread -- especially from [MENTION=1009]CzeCze[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9273]Vasilisa[/MENTION]. Nice work, ladies!

I don't have anything to add, really, since those ideas are so much better than anything I would have posted. But I will add my good-luck wishes in your recovery, [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] :)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think between your PTSD and your need to be wildly inappropriate and poke aka 'bear bait' you are currently a hot mess. Maybe not as evident IRL (I wouldn't know) but it seems internally you're a bunch of sparks just sparking away. The fact you don't seem to really get boundaries and always want to push does not bode well with your PTSD. It brings to mind the picture of a child flailing away wildly at nothing. Instead of compulsively trying to poke at people or get a reaction, rechannel that energy. Regardless of whether your are "as extreme" in real life the fact you have that compulsion to act out and are not really minding rules or boundaries or respecting other people is just going to perpetuate the anxiety and symptoms and social fall out you already get with PTSD. Basically, settle down. PTSD is kinda like ADHD in that way. You need to get grounded.

PTSD puts you in a high anxiety state where you get tunnel vision and all you can see is what your mind wants you to see and what your reality belief system tells you is the truth. Your body is basically on 'high alert' and on the ready for flight or fight.

I dated a guy with combat related PTSD his government assigned therapist basically did cognitive therapy which is basically controlled exposure. If X freaks you out, do 3 steps lower than X and work your way up. You have to desensitize your triggers. You also have to control your behavior so you're not intentionally provoking others :thelook: There are PTSD forums out there but I think they mostly give bad advice. People left to their own devices will opt for total aversion therapy, which basically means being totally non-confrontational even when necessary and avoiding life. That's not treatment or getting better. You have to reframe situations to not see them as a threat and retrain your response system down to the neurons. That's where meditation, breathing exercises, etc. come into play.

You could probably make a big dent in your PTSD on your own but any help, even a couple sessions with hypnotherapist, will be very useful. The best kind of therapy for PTSD (or anything, IMO) is cognitive therapy. Or the kind where you move your eyes side to side and reimagine traumatic events. Also, there may be community centers around where you live that offer free therapy. I knew someone getting his masters in marriage counseling who did counseling for free through a community center. At the very least, there should be a free meet-up for people with PTSD where you can meet them IRL.

Well, thank you for adding your 2 cents worth. I am currently trying to locate a good therapist who will help me. By the way though you are wrong about social boundaries. I know exactly where social boundaries are and I unfortunately often times like to see how hard I can push. Thank you for alerting me that I was doing that on this forum.

Lots of great advice on this thread -- especially from CzeCze and Vasilisa. Nice work, ladies!

I don't have anything to add, really, since those ideas are so much better than anything I would have posted. But I will add my good-luck wishes in your recovery, The Great One

Thanks I appreciate that.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Mine is so bad that I could be on Dr. Phil. The problem is this....It keeps me from keeping a job very well, and you need to be able to keep a job in order to afford counseling. Also, I have tried to apply for SSI for this shit until I could get over it, but it takes like over a year to get it. You have to apply, then they reject you, then you fight it out with a lawyer. Then, if you get any job what-so-ever (even if it is part time) they slash your disability. It seems like an endless nightmare that I can't escape.

I don't know much of post traumatic stress disorder, but if that issue is really bringing you suffering, I think it would be wise to look for a professional to talk. And I don't know how things are where you live (nor what is SSI), but here in Brazil, the universities usually have psychologists who attend (I'm not sure of that word) for free or for lower prices. Do you know if there is something like that near you? If affording is difficult, that could be of help - I have some friends who did it.

If you do look for professionals, I really really recommend you a radical behaviorist approach (which is quite different from junguian of freudian), or at least a cognitive-behavioral approach - they're focused in helping someone to deal with problems in a more direct way, which might be something you would like.

Just some suggestions... I hope you do find a way to feel better soon, it seems to be an awful situation to be... :/

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

http://warriorforum.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=aff...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Really though it's a lot of work. I wouldn't attempt it unless you're really dedicated and willing to learn (if you don't already know) a lot of technical skills

ie

html, css, javascript, php & more

I haven't read much of the thread TGO. However, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I was interested in sales etc. But I have SA (social anxiety) and I just cannot do it anymore. I'm switching interests to science. Thinking most likely computer science. Grads straight out of undergrad school make 60-70k per year. The problem may be keeping interest though.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

http://warriorforum.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=aff...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Really though it's a lot of work. I wouldn't attempt it unless you're really dedicated and willing to learn (if you don't already know) a lot of technical skills

ie

html, css, javascript, php & more

I haven't read much of the thread TGO. However, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I was interested in sales etc. But I have SA (social anxiety) and I just cannot do it anymore. I'm switching interests to science. Thinking most likely computer science. Grads straight out of undergrad school make 60-70k per year. The problem may be keeping interest though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I also should mention that I had two really annoying managers. One was a 3 w 2 ESTJ who was fake as can be, and the other one was an 8 w 7 ESTP who was a complete bastard. I'm also giving sales a rest, and I'm pretty much majoring in psychology in order to eventually become a psychologist. Sales just wasn't interesting enough for me.

On a side note, I will gladly check out that site, but I'm not sure how much I can do with it. It looked like it was mostly for War Veterans. I'm not really a war veteran.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I don't know much of post traumatic stress disorder, but if that issue is really bringing you suffering, I think it would be wise to look for a professional to talk. And I don't know how things are where you live (nor what is SSI), but here in Brazil, the universities usually have psychologists who attend (I'm not sure of that word) for free or for lower prices. Do you know if there is something like that near you? If affording is difficult, that could be of help - I have some friends who did it.

If you do look for professionals, I really really recommend you a radical behaviorist approach (which is quite different from junguian of freudian), or at least a cognitive-behavioral approach - they're focused in helping someone to deal with problems in a more direct way, which might be something you would like.

Just some suggestions... I hope you do find a way to feel better soon, it seems to be an awful situation to be... :/

Yeah, I may try checking out the local universities.