• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your opinion on plastic surgery?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Plastic Surgery is Ridiculous and Shallow

HaHa, just kidding!... maybe....:shrug:

I used to think plastic surgery was ridiculously shallow in people that had no real need for it (like being attacked by pitbulls or getting into auto accidents, etc).

I live in an area where everyone seems to be getting something done, rhinoplasty, boob job, botox, etc. And for a looong time I felt that plastic surgery was treating a symptom to a much bigger problem, be that insecurity, need for validation, inability to love and accept ones self. But as I've gotten older, I've become much more open to the idea of it. I still don't think I'd personally have it done.. but I started to think that someone should be able to do what they want, and if it makes them happy then why the hell does anyone else care, right?

Someone once pointed out to me that most women alter their natural state to some degree, be that makeup or hair dye, wearing pointy high heels, clamping your eye lashes down with a curler, fake n' baking. Whats the difference? Well, actually theres a BIG difference. Plastic surgery is SURGERY, meaning there is a chance of DEATH! Infection, blood clot, etc. Plus it can cost a good chunk of change, and recovery is painful. To go through all of that to be more visually appealing? Doesn't it reak of an overwhelming need for validation? Yet I hear many women say "I got this boob job for myself." Really? For yourself? You wanted to vomit each time you looked in the mirror at those mesquito bites? Wouldn't this still be some form of psychological unhealth?
I don't know.... I just don't know if I buy it. It doesn't help that after most of my friends have had implants, these same friends that claim its "all for themselves" start wearing tighter, lowcut shirts.

On the other hand, I've seen people go on talkshows and give horrific stories of being teased, ridiculed, osteracized, for not being good looking. Some women (or men) were treated so poorly that it drove them into a severe depression, some even becoming suicidal. Every time I'd watch these stories I get really choked up.
A friend once told me that I shouldn't think the way I did about it.. because I had never gone through what some people have gone through. And she was right, I've been teased for a lot of shit growing up, but appearance usually wasn't one of them.

But then again, wouldn't these issues be better resolved by building confidance, going through counseling, etc? Wouldn't you love yourself more by feeling adequate as you ARE vs. being altered? Always in the back of your mind you'd know that you couldn't cut it in your natural state, weren't good enough. How can that possibly help ones self esteem?

Hmmmm. What do you think of plastic surgery?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it's a black & white issue where everyone who gets it & every kind of it is shallow & ridiculous. I admit I see it as an ultimate form of vanity, for the reasons you mention: it's a risk of your health & even life for the sheer purpose of achieving what you think will be a more beautiful appearance.

I understand the value of beauty; I don't claim it has no significance or no impact on one's life, but I don't think it's significant enough to warrant surgery in most cases. It seems most people are able to make themselves more attractive via the other less invasive methods (ie. grooming), and this will serve whatever social advantage they're seeking. Any other apparent advantage seems not worth such a risk to me.

Major exceptions I see are re-constructive surgeries & ones which correct deformities, because I think it's less a vanity issue. Obviously there is a gray area between the two, which is why I don't jump to conclusions regarding people who opt for cosmetic surgery.

There's also something sad about the way it "streamlines" people.... the idea that one size/shape/proportion is inherently better. I don't think beauty is so narrow, and I'm not sure beauty is more valuable than individuality anyway. People who say they got some surgery for themselves may not be lying, to themselves or anyone, but they while their actions may not have been for anyone else, their perceptions are certainly influenced by others. The idea that X feature is flawed & would look better another way is not some view they formed entirely on their own; it's very much influenced by the cultural ideals around them. Ultimately, it very much boils down to status.

Then there's the issue of people using it to solve emotional problems. They think if they just fix X feature that they'll be happy and confident. It's like they invent a physical problem to avoid addressing other feelings that are much more difficult to solve. Surgery is a quick, surface fix, in that case, and no wonder it becomes addictive for some, as the quick fix wears off after a bit & their old feelings resurface.

Personally, it's also not for me because ultimately, it's changing who I am, and that bothers me. Whatever flaws I have, they're mine. I don't know if I'd want to look in a mirror and see something else, something structurally unnatural (as opposed to shallow, impermanent changes, like hair color). It would freak me out.

Last edited:

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
But then again, wouldn't these issues be better resolved by building confidance, going through counseling, etc? Wouldn't you love yourself more by feeling adequate as you ARE vs. being altered? Always in the back of your mind you'd know that you couldn't cut it in your natural state, weren't good enough. How can that possibly help ones self esteem?
Is there really a difference from confidence built through counseling and confidence built through plastic surgery?

I don't know if I'd want to look in a mirror and see something else, something structurally unnatural (as opposed to shallow, impermanent changes, like hair color). It would freak me out.
I felt something similar, except it was the first time I ever looked at a mirror.

P

Phantonym

Is there really a difference from confidence built through counseling and confidence built through plastic surgery?

I think there is. I agree with what OrangeAppled said, that "surgery is a quick, surface fix". Counseling goes deeper and it tries to resolve the root problem. If you leave the problems unresolved and look for the quick fix plastic surgery can provide, the problems still remain on some level. Soon enough you'll need another "fix".

There is nothing wrong with plastic surgery, but it better be done for the right reasons and people should be realistic about the reasons and the outcome. Counseling and plastic surgery should go hand in hand if people want to make really drastic changes to their body. If there really is a need to make changes to ones appearance with such measures after counseling, it is possible that the person going through the surgery is now aware of the reality of things and their motivation and choices are more realistic than they would have been without counseling.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm considering having a breast reduction done. I don't feel that has anything to do with me being insecure, unable to love or having a need for validation. I just want these monster boobs and their weight off my body. It's not a drastic reduction, about two cup sizes. Losing weight has no effect on them and my doctor concurs. He also suggested some counseling just to explore if there were other reasons. I was very straightforward. Big boobs, no cute bras or shirts, shoulder and back pain and I can't even paint my toes because these bastards get in the way.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I'm considering having a breast reduction done. I don't feel that has anything to do with me being insecure, unable to love or having a need for validation. I just want these monster boobs and their weight off my body. It's not a drastic reduction, about two cup sizes. Losing weight has no effect on them and my doctor concurs. He also suggested some counseling just to explore if there were other reasons. I was very straightforward. Big boobs, no cute bras or shirts, shoulder and back pain and I can't even paint my toes because these bastards get in the way.

Give them to me then! I want monster boobs! :biggrin:

But you know what I find extremely weird? There's this lingerie company and they have this model now. She's very skinny (apparently people like that) and they had to create some curves by giving her fake boobs. I mean, it's totally obvious they're fake. Why take someone with FAKE curves for a lingerie advertisement? Because their curves are more round and firm? It's so weird. I think the same model had her upper lip filled too, I've seen her in an ad for another brand and there it was so clear her lip was fake. This is the model by the way. I mean, isn't it obvious?

hunkemoller_3e_bh_gratis.png

rav3n

Confidence and self-acceptance can't be bought. For any kind of tinkering that requires invasive surgery, I think there should be some form of psychological evaluation. Take a look at Michael Jackson and Heidi Montag, who both believed that fixing the outside will fix the damage on the inside. Not going to happen. To me, both got suckered.

Beyond that, if relatively sane people want to tinker here and there, whatever floats their boat.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Plastic surgery is not necessarly a mark of psychological problem. The most common case is the husband who offer a lifting and a breast enhancement to his ageing wife for their platinum wedding anniversary. It's just a way among other to make life more enjoyable and an exterior sign of wealth.

Jaguar

I think people should do what it takes to give them peace of mind. Frankly, it's none of my business and I certainly don't hold any negative opinion of those who choose to undergo surgery.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have no problem if people think it's going to make them more confident. Then I say, whatever works.
I don't think it's shallow at all in that respect.
I definitely feel there are other less expensive ways to boost yourself esteem, but I am all for whatever works for you.
If you think your power rests in having bigger boobs or a smaller nose and it actually works? Then I see no issue.

My issue is personal.
You don't look better and your fake boobs feel like crap.
You don't look better because your face is symmetrical and it fits.
You can enhance your features with make up jewelry and other accessories.
But if you actually alter your features you are messing with nature.
You will never look more better than what you were born with.

When I was younger, two actresses that I had crushes on, had work done and my crushes faded along with their surgery.
They went from cute to just looking odd.

Fake boobs might look good to some, but no one is fooled. Just like you ladies aren't fooled by "comb overs" and hair pieces.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think it's a black and white issue, either. I think if there's something that's bothered you for a long time and fixing that thing and that thing alone would make you feel better, or make you feel like the person you are on the inside, go for it. However, if it really is low self-esteem, and you'll never be happy (ala Heidi Montag) or some sort of deep-seated self-loathing because of childhood issues (ala the entire Jackson family), get therapy rather than surgery. You looked fine before.

What really scares me right now, though, is all the fillers and injectibles. To me, those are screwing up more faces than all the surgeries combined. The trout pout, the immovable forehead, the weird, pointy jawlines, the chipmunk cheeks. They're all making people look non-human. Yes, we'd all prefer not to age, and I understand wanting to slow the clock. But you don't look younger. You look "done." You look fake. And you lose all ability to see that you look fake, and keep going.

Having said all that, I'm doing all I can in a preventative way, to face the next half of my life with grace and dignity. I get enough sleep, take my makeup off, moisturize, stay out of the sun, get vitamins, etc. But if there was ever a point when I started to look like a wrinkly old crone, my vanity would make me get a tasteful lift. My outside needs to match my inside. I can take a few lines here and there, but when things start sagging beyond my control, you bet I'd take matters into my own hands.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I think people should do what it takes to give them peace of mind. Frankly, it's none of my business and I certainly don't hold any negative opinion of those who choose to undergo surgery.

Yup

rav3n

What really scares me right now, though, is all the fillers and injectibles.
Botox is a form of botulism. Reminds me of an old horse trader's trick to feed older horses with little bits of cyanide since it makes them look and act younger. Then the horses die on the unfortunate new owner.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
Whatever bakes your potato. I would just hope that a person really wants it instead of thinking that there's something wrong with them that surgery would fix.

Be prepared to plunge into uncanny valley.

russianscary11.jpg

500full-marijke-helwegen.jpg

Or just watch someone with Botox talk. Normal people have facial expressions...

T

ThatGirl

I fully intend to get a nose job, bucal fat reduction, and possibly the lap band when I have enough money.

I am not insecure in the least, but it is a fact our looks go as we age. We are only as old as we feel, and I intend to feel young forever.

That means no pickle nose, drooping cheek fat, and the lapband is to avoid drastic weight fluctuations (I am currently 160 after being 117 for years) that cause the break down in elasticity leading to saggy skin.

To me it is no different than dousing your eyes in mascarra every day or wearing a push up bra. Lets face it, none of us ladies are self proclaimed natural beauties anymore. The anty has been uped and I intend to stay on task.

I think Alyssa Melano had work done before, and really you couldn't tell. One day she just looked subtly prettier. I think the best way to go about it, is not to CHANGE who you are, but enhance what you have already got going for you.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Something I've always wondered... what if after getting breast implants you cant afford to renew them? Silly question I know, but I'm serious! They say that silicone *can* last up to 18 yrs, and saline 12-14.. but what would someone do if they were financially strapped, had poor credit, and couldn't find anyone to loan them money? I wonder if plastic surgeons do payment arrangements for people with bad credit.... what an efed up spot to be in....

and then, you'll have to always renew them right.. so even when your a 92 yr old purple hair with hip replacement.. you'll be scheduling an appointment to have these buggers replaced. Isn't surgery really dangerous for some elderly people? What if you develop alzheimers in your 70's, and by your 90's you forget to let anyone know you need these replaced?

:cry:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't consider it unless I had some deformity that caused people to unfavorably stare at me everywhere I went.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I fully intend to get a nose job, bucal fat reduction, and possibly the lap band when I have enough money.

I am not insecure in the least, but it is a fact our looks go as we age. We are only as old as we feel, and I intend to feel young forever.

That means no pickle nose, drooping cheek fat, and the lapband is to avoid drastic weight fluctuations (I am currently 160 after being 117 for years) that cause the break down in elasticity leading to saggy skin.

To me it is no different than dousing your eyes in mascarra every day or wearing a push up bra. Lets face it, none of us ladies are self proclaimed natural beauties anymore. The anty has been uped and I intend to stay on task.

I think Alyssa Melano had work done before, and really you couldn't tell. One day she just looked subtly prettier. I think the best way to go about it, is not to CHANGE who you are, but enhance what you have already got going for you.

You aren't obsese enough for the lap band, and if you have a thyroid issue or could have other contributing factors, a lap band should be your last result.

I'm not sure what getting a nose job has to do with aging either.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
When I get into my forties I would totally get a breast reduction and boob lift. My mother's breasts are the same as mine and have held up quite well, but very large breasted women can have back problems as they get older, and I seriously have NO desire to have *major* sagging issues either. I see it as a practical consideration, honestly.

Otherwise, the only way I'd have plastic surgery if I was disfigured or burned. I'll deal with my face by other, less invasive means. Plastic surgery on your face scares me, bro. It just fucking scares me.

Also, people who are obsessed with plastic surgery - or get plastic surgery in their teens and twenties - totally freak me out. I think that's a mental problem.